Author Topic: free 2015 language is site dependent! (and features list)  (Read 3709 times)

REDACTED

free 2015 language is site dependent! (and features list)
« on: January 31, 2015, 08:44:30 PM »
ISSUE #1
I have an English operating system. I am located in Sweden. My Avast is set for English but I keep getting Swedish messages. I just got some kind of pop-up WARNING from Avast that was in Swedish. I have no idea what it was trying to warn me about!

I did not have this problem before I updated to 2015 so Why Now?

During the install process, after computer reboot, I got Avast in Swedish asking about adding chrome and whatever the other checkbox was for. I unchecked both and continued. I checked that Avast is set to English. Yet I keep getting crap in Swedish. For example, clicking on Tools - Sandbox brings up Swedish.

So Language is now site (location) dependent!?

(EDIT: Now I decided to try the Home Network Security and I get the Scan Network button in English but then I also get a picture with Swedish instructions!!! The RESULTS of this scan is in Swedish too!!! This is NOT cool!!!!)

ISSUE #2
My previous version of Avast was running Sandbox. I found Sandbox annoying and so I wanted to disable it in 2015. I think that I learned that the free version of Sandbox was removed in 2015. So this lead me to try to find out what features are included in 2015.

Why is there no listing of the FEATURES available in Avast 2015?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:31:04 PM by EmmaIsMe »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: free 2015 language is site dependent! (and features list)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:08:09 PM »
For features see https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB89#idt_01

As to the language try a repair...
Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 12:14:54 AM »
Thank for the replies but unfortunately they do not work.

I already saw this one while I was searching for the attributes.
For features see https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB89#idt_01

It only talks about some of the new features but does not discuss the other attributes.

I also tried the reinstall but it also did not work.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 12:49:42 AM »
Same issue here. I prefer ALL my software in English and yet I have Slovenian banners in avast! and popups that are in my native language. Only language installed in avast! is English.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 01:11:15 AM »
I suspect this my be some sort of geo-location function, though I haven't seen any setting in avast to disable it in the UI.

At the start of 2015 there was also an issue with the sounds/voiceovers It switched my language to English UK with some pretty horrendous English accent which I had to change. I guess that too was a geo-location thing being applied.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
Ok, I tried uninstalling it because I probably used the "Internet" install. I downloaded the complete installation package and tried that. Still getting Swedish!

Since I am not the only one with this problem, I think it should be bumped.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 05:01:34 AM »
Still no solution?

Should I be asking somewhere else in the Avast network?

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 10:36:02 PM »
Now I am trying to register and it is asking me stuff in SWEDISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can it be that no body knows what is going on?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 10:52:02 PM »
Now I am trying to register and it is asking me stuff in SWEDISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can it be that no body knows what is going on?

Because the people that have been responding in this topic are avast users, just like yourself and not employed by avast.

EDIT: Given what I said previously, your IP address resolves to Sweden, so this could be geo-location function.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:54:55 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 03:44:23 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I have no doubt that thee language is set per the IP providers location.

As I have pointed out, this makes no sense because using the software becomes dangerous for those who do not speak the language.

It seems that this has been an issue on and off for a few years. The fact that it has not been dealt with is interesting to me. I understand the need to create regionally content specific information, but there really needs to be an option to pick either your local region or a language specific region. Have you noticed that AVAST allows EU-English to be used on their web site. They could allow the same option in the setup.

I have created a support ticket and will keep this post updated.