Author Topic: Manual updates  (Read 5447 times)

pnkFloyd

Manual updates
« on: November 05, 2003, 10:16:11 AM »
I am using avast! 4.1 in my home PC. I have only dial-up connection there. So I usualy download the newest vpsupd.exe file at my job and do manual update at home.

The question is. Should I download every file (0310-1, 0310-2, ... 0310-6) or the last one only, in order to get full virus database update?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Manual updates
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 10:45:37 AM »
The vpsupd.exe file contains the full virus database inside (the recent one, of course). So, only the newest vpsupd.exe file is needed - no need to download anything older. (In fact, I don't think it's possible to download the older versions... is it?)

pnkFloyd

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 11:30:19 AM »
Thanks, Igor. Very fast reply indeed!

In fact, I don't think it's possible to download the older versions... is it?

Actualy it is. What I mean was not the older versions. I just used to download every update in a week time and apply all of them on my home PC on weekend.

Thanks again

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 11:52:53 AM »
Wellcome to foruns pnkFloyd... As Igor said, just the last one is necessary... Usually, updates come on Tuesdays and Thursdays...
If you donwload at Friday you can have a 'virus clean' weekend  8)
The best things in life are free.

kubecj

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 12:55:41 AM »
I am using avast! 4.1 in my home PC. I have only dial-up connection there. So I usualy download the newest vpsupd.exe file at my job and do manual update at home.

The question is. Should I download every file (0310-1, 0310-2, ... 0310-6) or the last one only, in order to get full virus database update?

You need only latest vpsupd.exe

But, have you considered downloading the differential updates? They should take no longer than 1 minute on a dial-up (52k). (I guess <15s in reality).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 01:29:58 AM »
But, have you considered downloading the differential updates? They should take no longer than 1 minute on a dial-up (52k). (I guess <15s in reality).

Just set up avast! for automatic updates (or run manually) in your home...
Right click the 'a' icon > Start avast! Antivirus > Right click on the skin > Settings > Update (Basic)
The best things in life are free.