Author Topic: Windows Me manual scanner freeze up -  (Read 5489 times)

l1el

Windows Me manual scanner freeze up -
« on: November 05, 2003, 04:50:22 PM »
Hi, i got the new download last week for Avast free home version. The serial number is in it. This is a new install Windows Millennium operating system with no other antivirus on it. Windows update has been completed with all the updates. When i go to use the manual scanner to scan, it goes few minutes and locks up where i have to reboot it, or it reboot's itself. There's also a horrizontal black bar in the upper left screen area that appear's. I have the log set to come on for the scan results but since it freezes, i can't get to it. I have System Restore shut off. Also, the P2P and Messenger scanners are off. This is the E-Machines 600 Celeron with 256 pc 133 ram. The bios has the latest 105 version. It is a new hard drive 7200. This morning i tried running scandisk throrough, and that froze up with that horrizontal black bar in the upper left. I tried it again with the systray Avast icon's not running and still got a blue screen Vxd fatal exception error. Any suggestions? Could it be the ram as this takes pc 100 and i have two 128 meg sticks of pc 133 Kingston in it. But, it ran alright untill the Avast installation.  

Thanks  -LB

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Windows Me manual scanner freeze up -
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 05:11:47 PM »
Horizontal black bar in the upper left corner of the screen? Strange... to me, it sounds more like a hardware problem (I'd guess overheated graphics card... but memory can also cause weird things).
Do you remember what exactly the blue screen said? If it appears again, could you please write down everything there?

Btw, if you want to check your memory modules - MemTest86 is a nice tool (though you have to be very patient if you want to run all the tests).

l1el

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 05:55:28 PM »
Ok, here's camera picture of what came up at scandisk, throrough scan. The standard scandisk goes thru ok, btw. Also, i have the bootup scan disabled and the slide on "quickscan", too. I will run the memory test you sent now. There's also a video update for the Intel onboard video for this machine i will put in.  Thanks. The pic is attached.   - Leland

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 07:16:36 PM »
What happens when you press any key after you get this? Does the system resume normally, or all you can do then is reboot?

BTW nice moiré ;D

Vlk
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 07:16:57 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

l1el

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 07:41:35 PM »
Yeah, i took that with my Olympus 1.3 mp camera and no flash on. Well, it failed the Memtest. At the first pass it had 32 error's and froze up there too. So i took out the two 128 pc 133's and put the pc 100 64 meg stick back in...ran Memtest...and the Avast scan perfectly. So it was all the ram to begin with. I just put that in a couple days ago and thought it was alright. Anyhow, thanks for the Memtest86 tip and sorry for the bother on all this. You can take this whole thing off your board as it doesn't belong there. Btw, are you in England? I saw you were 4 hours ahead of my time Eastern- USA. Thanks. - Leland

l1el

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 07:44:34 PM »
Oh, in response to your question..when i hit any button it would either "wait for the close dialoge box to open"...or reboot entirely.  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 08:01:28 PM »
Does everything is working fine now?
As you are new here, try a look for links (memory tests and lot of others) here.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 04:16:23 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

l1el

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 08:32:10 PM »
Yes, everything seems fine now thanks to the Memtest86 program. I will look at the links tonight you sent. Btw, ..can i put another Avast on my other machine in this network here? It needs an antivirus. Thanks.  -Leland

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 04:19:55 AM »
Yes, everything seems fine now thanks to the Memtest86 program. I will look at the links tonight you sent. Btw, ..can i put another Avast on my other machine in this network here? It needs an antivirus. Thanks.  -Leland

avast! team has the last word, but as I know you can put a second avast! instalation just if you do not work with profit: avast! Home is free just for non-commercial home users only!

See wellcome page of the help file or the webpage links...
Bye  ;)
The best things in life are free.