Author Topic: Avast Outlook plugin working with other plugins  (Read 3499 times)

Goose

Avast Outlook plugin working with other plugins
« on: November 06, 2005, 02:35:43 PM »
On my development box I am trying out Avast 4.6.691 and have come across a strange problem.

When the Outlook provider is loaded with Outlook 2003 and a whole bunch of other toolbars I have loaded: Lookout, Outlook Spy etc etc; two things happen that I can't understand.

The "auto mark as read" function stops working in some of the .pst files. I have rules that move messages about and typically have 4 .pst files open. The problem seems to only occur in the main delivery .pst file.

When the limited rule options for Outlook don't work as well as I would like I often have to drag mails from one folder to another in the same .pst file or from one .pst file to another. In this case the first part of the "Move" works and the message is recreated in the destination folder, the delete of the original instance errors saying "Can't move the items. The item could not be moved. it was either already moved or deleted, or access was denied". Ok to this message and hitting the delete or shift delete key(s) proves that that none of the options on the error message were correct...

So, my questions are:-

1. Has anyone seen this behaviour?
2. Is the there a way of getting the Outlook plugin to generate logs of what is going wrong?

Thanks,

Goose

dave404

Re: Avast Outlook plugin working with other plugins
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 03:55:30 PM »
Yes, I have a problem using rules in Outlook 2002.

To describe it in detail, when I have a rule asking for a message to be moved to a folder on arrival, Outlook generates a messagebox saying it could not delete the message from that target folder (not the Inbox). When I look in the folder, there are two copies of the message/s in question.

This problem has only occurred since I moved to Avast! as my virus scanner.

It happens with several different folders, and with different email accounts.

I have tried creating a new folder for the messages, moving the messages to it, and then deleting the old folder and changing the rule to point at the new one. This seems to help at first, but the problem recurs after a few days or so.

I have wondered whether perhaps the Outlook Rules engine and the Avast engine are both trying to access a mail at the same time.

Avast! Home 4.6.744 at time of posting.

dave404

Re: Avast Outlook plugin working with other plugins
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 11:31:44 AM »
Just to update this, I have no other plugins in my Outlook, except for Exchange Extensions Property Pages, so it's unlikely to be a plugin conflict.

Goose, have you tried removing your other plugins and seeing whether this affects the issue? If not, the thread title is quite likely to be wrong, or at least rather misleading!

Dave