Author Topic: 2 entries for Avast in the Context Menu!  (Read 19851 times)

gate1975mlm

Re: 2 entries for Avast in the Context Menu!
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2005, 05:26:18 PM »
Did you try just disabling one of the entries with this program?

I never had such problem...
Maybe if Igor does not find an answer you could un-check one of them with ContextEdit:
http://www.ramlende.com/downloads/contextedit11.zip

Yes that does work also Mmm+ works. But My point is that I would like to know what is causing this to happen?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2005, 06:01:59 PM »
I'm afraid I don't know. It might be interesting to find out what ContextEdit changes in registry when disabling the item (when you sayit works).

gate1975mlm

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2005, 02:03:20 AM »
When I use ContextEdit it gets rid of both .exe and .lnk so thats no good.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 02:08:08 AM by gate1975mlm »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2005, 03:49:25 AM »
It's very misterious  ::)
Did you have two lines (entries) there or only one?
Did you search at Folder and All files regardless the extension?
Two entries should be two lines...  ::) :-\
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »

OK, that sounds logical for me. There's only one avast registration in the registry (as we have seen), which can be either enabled, or disabled. Even the ContextEdit doesn't know this kind of magic and sees only the one item.
Why Windows use this shell extension twice (first for the .lnk target, second for the .lnk file itself), that's the mystery.

gate1975mlm

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2005, 06:26:38 PM »
Sure is and would like if you could fix it  :)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2005, 10:12:10 AM »
Since I have just installed ClamWin as a BU AV scanner (which I like a lot  btw) I can presently add more info to this thread.

It would appear that the problem is not necessarily an Avast problem but more likely an OS issue of some kind.

I base this on the fact that ClamWin also has two entries in the context menu.  ClamWin does not specify the file to be scanned in the context menu so I cannot verify this part of it but considering their are two entries the same as Avast it does not appear to be exclusively an Avast problem.

I also noted that BOTH of my ZIP utilities in my context menu has duplicate entries as well.  I am using WIN98SE and am not sure if  this problem only occurs in this OS or not but as gae1975mlm stated, it would be nice to know what is the cause and how to fix it.  Since I now have two entries for not only Avast, but ClamWin and both ZIP utilities (which I have apparently had for some time) it does take up a lot of room on my shortcut menu list.

Again as noted before in this thread the duplicate items only occur when right clicking on desktop icons and most program files.  When using the context menu within Window Explorer which is where it is most often used anyway there is not problem with two entries at all.  Could there be some kind of registry setting that Microsoft has added which could be causing this?

Has anyone come up with a solution on this as of yet  ???
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

gate1975mlm

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2005, 05:36:50 PM »
I never found a fix for this as of yet.  :'(

gate1975mlm

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2006, 05:45:23 AM »
Update I found out what was causing it. If you use a program likee TweakUi to remove the Arrow from the shortcuts on your desktop thats what makes Avast show 2 entries in the contexty menu. So if you add the arrow back to the shortcuts that will fix the issue. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2006, 12:28:48 PM »
Thanks for getting back and letting us know, hopefully this will help others.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security