Author Topic: 2 entries for Avast in the Context Menu!  (Read 19846 times)

gate1975mlm

Re: 2 entries for Avast in the Context Menu!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2005, 08:38:23 PM »

I did a scan with both the .exe and .ink.

gate1975mlm

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2005, 10:53:43 PM »
Is there an option to remove the Avast from the context menu?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2005, 11:54:04 PM »
Is there an option to remove the Avast from the context menu?
Test the program link I've posted before for edit ContextMenu.
Into avast4.ini file you can only hide the icon with value

ShellExtensionIcon=1

in section [UserInterface] of avast4.ini file.
The best things in life are free.

gate1975mlm

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 05:04:00 PM »
OK
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 05:06:00 PM by gate1975mlm »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 06:34:38 PM »
gate1975mlm wrote
Am I the onlyone here with this little problem?   :-[

You don't have to feel like the lone ranger  ;D  I've got the same exact thing.

I really didn't notice this because I have never scanned an icon on the desktop or in the programs list before this since I have only used the context menu to scan Window Explorer items which works just fine.  BUT EVEN IF I HAD NOTICED THIS I WOULD HAVE ASSUMED THAT THIS WAS OKAY BECAUSE IT WOULD BE FOR THE PURPOSE TO SCAN BOTH THE ICON AND THE EXECTABLE, BUT WHAT DO I KNOW...  ;D

But since this appears to be a problem, here's what I found that maybe will help the techies figure this out  ???

The first list for Avast on the context menu appears to be the "exectable", the second appears to be the name of the icon where it will have the "ink" extent.

Example: When right clicking on the Outlook Express icon I get:
Scan msimn.exe as the first entry
Scan Outlook Express.ink as the second entry (name of the icon)

When I click on a program I know what the executable is I get the same thing.  The top one says: Scan USERID.exe and the bottom one says Scan My Passwords.ink (which is the name of the icon)

What is interesing however is this When I scan on a zipped file I get this:

Scan WINZIP32.EXE (on the first one)
Scan data1.cab.ink (the name of the icon again)

The first one is the zip program which I guess is still consistent with being the exectable program  ??? since it is a zipped file.

But what's even more interesting is when I get the context menu for the ms-dos prompt icon THERE IS NOT PROBLEM because I only get ONE scan selection choice where it says: Scan MS-DOS Prompt.pif, I suppose this still maybe consistent in that it is not an "exectable program" maybe  ???  But atleast this shortcut menu is okay.  So it ONLY happens with EXECTABLE program ICONS (I say ICONS since this does NOT happen WITH WINDOWS EXPLORER ENTRIES !!! (SEE FURTHER)

I hope this all helps...  :)  As I said I have only scanned files in Windows Explorer which does not have this problem so I hadn't noticed this before.

Btw, I have a QUESTON for gate1975mlm If you right click on a file in Window Explorer you don't get BOTH ENTRIES for Avast Scan DO YOU ?   ???  So two Avast entries in the list only occurs when you right click on an icon in the desktop or in the Programs menu list, right ?

Don't ask for pictures because I don't know how to do that since I can't seem to trap the short cut menu since when I click on "Alt/Print Screen" the context menu (shortcut list) goes away and I don't get it included in the picture.  I have no idea how you guys do it  ???
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 07:07:25 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2005, 07:20:35 PM »
He's back...  ;D

It occured to me to try the shortcut menu on exectable and zipped files in Windows Explorer instead of JUST Documents etc.

I have found on further investigation, this thing ONLY HAPPENS WITH ALL DESKTOP ICONS AND ALL ITEMS LISTED IN THE START MENU.

It does not happen for anything in Windows Explorer!!!
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2005, 08:13:19 PM »
It's me again...  ;D

I just noticed something else, not ALL items in the START PROGRAMS menu list have two Avast choices in the short cut menu after all.

For instance, I have a few EXECUTABLE programs I added to my (START) PROGRAM list myself which was just a downloaded exectable and not an INSTALLED PROGRAM executable.  In each case these ONLY SHOW ONE AVAST CHOICE in the context menu.

Also I have Dialup DUN icon I added to my (START) PROGRAMS list and it also does not show BOTH Avast entries in the shortcut menu.  (for further clairification in WIN98 this is the icon which is in the My Computer>Dialup Networking>(these icons for dialing into the internet is what I'm speaking of).  This is also not an INSTALLED PROGRAM, if that is what makes the difference ?

So it seems as far as the START (MENU)>PROGRAMS list it is related to something else other than just being listed in the START MENU LIST.  If the items were ADDED BY ME and which were NOT installed programs then they ONLY HAVE THE ONE AVAST CHOICE listed in the shortcut menu.

One other interesting observation, this applies to ONLY the START>PROGRAMS list.  I also have an exectable program I have added to my computer myself directly on the START menu list itself(not one of the sub menus like Programs etc.) and this one DOES SHOW BOTH AVAST CHOICES even though it is an executable program which was not installed but I actually wrote and added to the START MENU as I said myself.

Also items listed in MY DOCUMENTS in the START MENU which of course are items NOT INSTALLED but documents I have personally added myself DO HAVE BOTH AVAST CHOICES in the shortcut menu.

So I'm a little puzzled as to any kind of consistency here.  ???

I'm not sure how much help this is, but I thought I'd add it into the mix...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 08:18:15 PM by lakrsrool »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 02:06:03 PM »
Sorry, since no one else has replied, it's me again... :-X

I'm back to the icon thing.  Isn't it possible that this two entry scan selection in the context menu a GOOD THING in that it is related to the file (program) icon associated with the software (executable or document file) ?

There is always an entry for the executable file, which is understandable.

The second entry is always an "ink" file (extent).  This extent can be related to the CorelDRAW vector graphics software which is a legacy graphics file technology designed and supported by Microsoft. 

I don't know how icon (graphics) work with windows and are linked to their assocated software, but could this be a case where the icon is generally a seperate (graphics) file.  Like in the case of my program I wrote in VB in which am using a seperate icon I found and added using windows which does show up with the second entry "ink" scan choice.  But in cases where I have downloaded an intact executable maybe the icon is "built in" included within the software and not a seperate graphics designed file thus NO seperate entry "ink" file is listed in this case which is what I find on some files I have added to my Start>Programs list (which does not have the seperate entry).

To support my "theory"  ;D ALL of the files that DO HAVE THE "INK" 2ND ENTRY IN THE CONTEXT MENU will OFFER ME A CHOICE TO SELECT AN ALTERNATE ICON IN THE PROPERTIES OPTION THEREFORE THE ICON IS A SEPERATE ENTITY AND AVAST SEES IT AS SUCH).  BUT FOR THOSE FILES WHICH DO NOT HAVE THE 2ND ENTRY ("INK" FILE TYPE) THERE IS NO OPTION TO SELECT AN ALTERNATE ICON WHICH COULD BE DO TO THE FACT THAT THE ICON (IMAGE) IS INCORPORATED INTO THE EXECUTABLE THUS AVAST DOES NOT SEE IT (THE ICON) AS A SEPERATE GRAPHICS FILE AND THEREFORE A SECOND FILE SCAN OPTION IS NOT LISTED.

In conclusion in the cases where the icon can be changed and thus a seperate (attached) file as such Avast would see this as a seperate file which btw, could be infected with a virus I presume.

I'm just thinking out loud and have no idea of the technological aspects of what I am surmising, but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents with this idea just incase it makes any kind of sense.

This is my attempt at explaining why I have the 2 entries to can in the context menu on most but not all of my files and is consistent with how Windows is using the files in regards to the associated icon to the file itself.

So if my suggestion (idea) here is right Avast could be doing exactly what it should be doing and allowing the option to scan the seperate assocated icon.

Any opinions, thoughts, ideas ?  ???
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 02:08:55 PM by lakrsrool »

gate1975mlm

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 02:17:51 PM »
Yes it only happens on the Desktop and All Programs menu. I just would like to know what is causing this.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 07:37:19 PM »
So, gate1975mlm, do you think I'm barking up the wrong tree regarding my post just ahead of yours ? ;D

It doesn't happen with all of my Program files depending upon if I had downloaded an executable and put them in the list myself (see my previous post).

Ooops, it just occured to me, if we are the only ones with these two entries then I guess that blows my idea all to h---  ::)  After all we can't be the only ones with an Avast program doing it right...  ;D

So I'm with you, why do we have this 2nd entry  ???

It is interesting that I only have the 2nd entry for those programs that give me the option to change my icon and all the programs which I did not install but downloaded and added to the Programs list that DO NOT give me the Change Icon option ONLY HAVE ONE Avast scan entry.   ???  At least I found some kind of consistency...  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 08:17:33 PM by lakrsrool »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005, 09:43:19 PM »
Hey gate1975mlm, did you used to have Norton AV on your system before Avast ? (I'm trying to find some common ground since this is the case for me).

So gate1975mlm, then these two entries do NOT occur for the context menu in Windows Explorer right ? (just like me)

Assuming this to be true (above question) I have a question for the general population of the forum:

Since it is much more common for people to only scan fileS in their Windows Explorer than on the Desktop or Program files, maybe it is more common place than we realize.

1) Based on this are there any others that have these same two entries in the shortcut menu (context menu) when right clicking on Desctop icons or Program files ?

Now what's that music on that game show...  ;D

If we can get a majority who have it then we can call it a feature of Avast  ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2005, 12:56:38 AM »
Sorry to disappoint, only a single scan icon in All Programs, desktop items or explorer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

garyb

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2005, 01:53:02 AM »
Sorry to disappoint, only a single scan icon in All Programs, desktop items or explorer.
Same here...except for when there's not even the one scan icon, such as shortcuts to any Office2003 products, recycle bin, my docs, etc

gate1975mlm

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2005, 02:52:15 AM »
The only place I get the two entries for Avast is on Desktop shortcuts and All Programs menu. No I have never had Norton installed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2005, 02:59:48 AM »
Did you try just disabling one of the entries with this program?

I never had such problem...
Maybe if Igor does not find an answer you could un-check one of them with ContextEdit:
http://www.ramlende.com/downloads/contextedit11.zip
The best things in life are free.