Author Topic: Just wasted 2 hours? downloading and safe scanning for naught  (Read 2109 times)

REDACTED

Just wasted 2 hours? downloading and safe scanning for naught
« on: February 21, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
I downloaded Top Process Monitor, which necessitated downloading 7-zip just to extract .7z installer...
Scanned them both with Avast
7-zip is now up and running, ready to extract .7z file
Just to be on the safe side before restarting and installing TPM, I decided to run a full MBAM scan
Yeah
TPM was detected as non-malware item: PUP.Optional.Multiplug

Has anyone had experience with this gadget? I know some have complained on here that software they know to be safe, or at least know how to install safely is being banned by Avast. How did this get through, and is there any chance I can still install, leaving out the sneaky options commonly hiding out in these installers?

High risk behavior, I know... I thought I got smart by shopping around, then downloading and scanning several files at a time, but this has just hijacked quite a bit of time. 

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Just wasted 2 hours? downloading and safe scanning for naught
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 09:39:02 PM »
It is not a virus or malware just a PUP, a potential unwanted program, mostly additional adware/junkware -> http://www.malwareremovalguides.info/pup-optional-multiplug-a-removal-guide/

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 09:43:13 PM »
Thanks, Polonus

I haven't installed yet, so no need to remove - the PUP is embedded in the installation, right?

I also realized there was a 2nd download option that downloads a .zip file. Again, Avast says it's fine, but for some reason I'm unable to scan contextually (right click to access) *BAM to double check. I'll have to run a full scan again, I guess.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 09:53:19 PM »
Yep, my good avast support forum friend  ;)

Unchecky is a great tool for getting clean downloads, use that next time you download software. -> http://unchecky.com/
Bundling for cheap money is now practiced all over the place, every coder and developer is into it, especially marketeers.
You are the PUP related product as online user.  Nothing to worry about, but try to avoid the added crap by unticking it in time.

Stay secure online and offline with avast,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 10:12:16 PM »
That video cheered me right up! haha

Thanks!