Author Topic: Avast renewal issues  (Read 4402 times)

REDACTED

Avast renewal issues
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »
I am trying to renew my Avast. I have gotten as far as Paypal and all it does is spin. Spinning now for half an hour. It seems I go through a lot of trouble to do this every year now. It doesn't matter whether I renew before it expires or wait until the last day.

I don't know if I should just shut the window down and start over or what....

REDACTED

Re: Avast renewal issues
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 10:26:38 PM »
This must be on Avast's end since we are having the same problem. Something is conflicting with their link to PayPal.

I hope they are aware of the issue and will get a fix soon.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 10:34:17 PM »
Okay Thanks. I actually posted the topic. Haven't used that email address in a long time (msmerricat, etc) and there is absolutely NO WAY that I can change my account information here  or anywhere else apparently. I finally had to start a new forum account.

I still have 13 days maybe it would be easier to let it run out and start fresh. idk.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 11:23:43 PM »
Okay Thanks. I actually posted the topic. Haven't used that email address in a long time (msmerricat, etc) and there is absolutely NO WAY that I can change my account information here  or anywhere else apparently. I finally had to start a new forum account.

I still have 13 days maybe it would be easier to let it run out and start fresh. idk.

Log on to your my.avast.com account (for merricat) - click on the/your email address top right and select Manage Emails - Add a new email address and then you can set that as the default email address.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 11:55:01 PM »
Thank you so much!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 12:44:23 AM »
You're welcome.

Have you been able to go back to your merricat user name now ?
I only ask as I was expecting you to come back to the topic using your original user name of merricat.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:50:46 PM »
DavidR I did manage to change my email address so that I will receive the license when I renew. So that is okay now.

However I tried to renew it again this morning and again Paypal doesn't work. I use Paypal for a lot of reasons one of which is not having to put my credit info everywhere.
The first time I tried to renew they finally canceled the order after 3 days because it never completed. I am in the same boat again and frankly I hesitate to try the renewal option again as I am not sure if I will pay for one or two Avasts at this point.

I also had issues with Digital River last year trying to cancel and auto renew and hours on the phone with people who wanted to look inside my computer (they did) so they could tell me all kinds of things were wrong with it. Not a great experience!

At this point maybe I would be better off to just let Avast run out and visit your website to buy a 'new one as a new' customer??? I really don't want to give Avast up but doing this every year is crazy :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »
I don't know how the payment process works from personal experience - but I would have thought that using PayPal would be no different to any other transaction using PayPal as the payment means

Quote from: gatemonkey58
However I tried to renew it again this morning and again Paypal doesn't work.

Can you expand on paypal doesn't work (why, any errors displayed, etc.) ?

You could let it run out, but:
- there would be reminder screens that nag
- by letting it expire you would lose any renewal bonus.
- if you tried using paypal as the payment option what is to say you wouldn't bump into this problem again.

You could uninstall avast when you get the the uninstall point - there is normally a revert/convert to avast free option.  I say this because there is a high likelihood of getting offered a discount to upgrade.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 06:58:10 PM »
I am not sure what the Paypal issue is. I can get through all the renewal screens with no problem and then when Avast renewal app page tries to connect with Paypal so I can finalize it never gets there. It just spins forever until I give up and shut it down. Obviously some of the info is at least reaching Avast store because I received an email a few days later telling me the order had been cancelled because it was never completed.

So no error pop ups or anything of that kind. The interface just can't seem to connect to Paypal. I think I let it try around 15 minutes the first time. Finally closed the window.

I have been getting those reminder screens for about a month now :)

I guess I will just give it 24 hours and do it again and just use the debit card option.
I am just trying to avoid the problems I had last year with the auto-renew I didn't want and the hunt for the license so that I finally had to call customer service. I don't know why it was so hard to find it because it usually hasn't been. :/

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 07:08:40 PM »
DavidR I am not sure why I didn't come back to the forum as Merricat. But I changed my email which was more important to me over all. Otherwise I have to be able to access my old email account to get anything from Avast such as license links. I also thought that the difference in email accts...Avast had my old one but not my new one may be why Paypal wasn't working but apparently not so because everything is changed (I think) and it is still not connecting for me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 07:31:39 PM »
I don't know if this will help or not, but two things that might help:
- a new update of avast has been released, 2015.10.2.2214 https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=167184.0.

- if that doesn't have any effect you could temporarily disable HTTPS scanning in the Web Shield settings.
AvastUI > Settings > Active Protection > Web Shield - Customize > Main settings - uncheck the 'Enable HTTPS scanning.'

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »
I will try that DavidR! I am trying to reconcile these two accounts but I can't get a verification link for my email change. It is looking like I may have 3 accounts here. Either way I have changed the email in msmerricat twice but no link to verify. lolol!

So I think I am just going to be who I am right here. sigh.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:49 PM »
No problem, I can't recall when I added a new email to the my.avast.com if I got a verification email on the new email address added.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 04:04:14 PM »
So I am signed in on my old account. I will just have to watch the old email for the license when I renew today. When I have it installed I will try to straighten this mess out lol! Thank you for your help!

I did renew my Avast a few minutes ago with my boyfriend offering to pay the 2 years instead of the one I usually purchase. It looks as though
Avast automatically inserts the license?? My subscription says that I have 700+ days now.

However there also seemed to be an error message saying it couldn't connect it ( or whatever) to my device. Soooo I took the code from the confirmation email and started to do it manually and that is when I noticed that I had 700+ days.

I know it is 'active' on purchase but I want to know for sure that it is actually working.

Also because I used the card of a different person license is in their name not mine.

Yeah. There has to be an easier way to do this. I have so totally screwed this up I smh. lol!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:44:03 PM by merricat »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 05:28:05 PM »
You could look at your my.avast.com page and view the various devices and licenses, it should give you more information.

Whilst I don't believe having a different name on the license is going to be an issue.

For me you would have to watch out for any auto renewal of the license (in two years) given that the payment was on your BFs card number.

You're right there really has to be an easier way - I though that PayPal would be much easier than credit card payment.