Author Topic: Trouble with Temporary Disable  (Read 2407 times)

REDACTED

Trouble with Temporary Disable
« on: February 22, 2015, 07:36:55 PM »
Am new to Avast free and Internet Security. Installed software for my new scanner, and I'm having problems that might be solved if I temporarily disable Avast and reinstall software. Found directions here and elsewhere for easily disabling, but when I right click on Avast icon on desktop, the "shields" option doesn't show...Just "Open," "Open file location," "Run as Administrator," some others, and then Cut, Delete, Rename. What do I do?

BTW, my desktop icon for Avast free seems to be called, "Avast Free Antivirus Setup Online." Is this the right icon...the one for the program?

Will I also need to disable Avast Internet Security to successfully reinstall scanner software? Thanks a lot.   

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Trouble with Temporary Disable
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 07:41:31 PM »
Sounds to me you haven't installed avast (correctly).
Did you remove your previous av before installing avast ?
If not:
- delete it completely
- delete avast completely
- perform a clean installation of avast
Uninstall instructions/tools : http://www.ache.nl/index.php?location=mal-01
Latest version of avast : https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166576.0

There is no need to disable a av when installing anything unless there is a problem.

The instructions say click the avast icon near the clock, not the one on your desktop.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:54:37 PM »
Eddy: Thanks. Icons near clock were hidden...I now see them and the dropdown menu I need. GeekSquad installed Avast for me after uninstalling McAfee, which was messing up my newly installed genealogy software. I assume they did it correctly. Would you still recommend un- and then re-installing?

My ScanSnap ix500 user manual (which is not great) says I may have to uninstall or disable av in order to eliminate insufficient memory and other operating problems with ScanSnap Organizer. Is the Avast temporary disable option safe and viable here? Do I uninstall ScanSnap software; temporarily disable Avast; re-install SS software, and then re-enable Avast? 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 08:53:48 PM »
The people at GeekSquad now what they are doing, you should be fine.

Are you getting a error message when you try to to use the software ?
Is avast giving you a warning ?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 11:02:25 PM »
Getting error message when using ScanSnap Organizer...scan a single, standard-sized sheet, and then try to move the pdf file into a newly created folder. "Out of Memory: There is not enough memory to complete this application." As mentioned, documentation says that av software running may negatively impact Organizer installation, and so to uninstall ScanSnap software; disable av; and re-install Organizer. Should I try this, since disabling instructions you suggested are pretty easy? Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 11:21:04 PM »
Disable the shields for e.g. 10 minutes and try again.