Author Topic: windows xp 64-bit - scanner troubles  (Read 2462 times)

gw

windows xp 64-bit - scanner troubles
« on: September 29, 2005, 10:18:32 PM »
I just installed avast 4 onto my windows pro 64-bit box. Everything was running fine for a few days and all the sudden I noticed I couldn't load up the av scanner. It loads the splash screen that says checking my memory and os and then it vanishes and nothing else happens. It still updates and the other parts of the app run fine. I found this thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14344.0 and running the app from the folder works fine. Is this a bug? I'm new to avast and tried searching the forums but can't find a list of current bugs.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: windows xp 64-bit - scanner troubles
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 10:35:29 PM »
I don't think this is a known bug...
As you can run manually the program (I suppose ashSimpl.exe and not ashSimp2.exe) it seems that something is avoiding ashAvast.exe (the splash screen) to start the program.
Do you use any other security program that hooks or monitors applications started by other ones? (for instance, System Safety Monitor).
Which firewall do you use?
The best things in life are free.

gw

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 10:44:47 PM »
Thanks for responding so quickly. I don't believe I have any other apps that hook in like that. What I currently use in ways of security are the following, adaware, spybot, avast, and windows spyware detector. I don't run a firewall as I see no need. Unless theres another huge gaping hole in windows than I don't have to worry as I don't install any ol thing and I don't surf to abnormal places. Avast with the others is just something I installed for peace of mind at night. Windows is only used for gaming as I reboot to linux for the important things. :))

Would any of the previously mentioned apps conflict that your aware? I can always uninstall them all and see if it conflicts and if it works, work my way up the chain until it stops again. I actually hadn't thought of this until you asked me that. Thanks in advance for the feedback. Oh and btw, I don't run any of the adaware, spybot, etc resident apps. I start them when I need them. Only avast and normal windows apps run on bootup.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:25:02 AM »
Thanks for responding so quickly.
Be used to avast! forums speed  ;)

I don't run a firewall as I see no need.
I won't be so safe...

Would any of the previously mentioned apps conflict that your aware?
No. I have them without problem, although I don't use a 64bit system  :'(

I start them when I need them. Only avast and normal windows apps run on bootup.
This is what makes me think that it's not a conflict.

If you exit avast and go to avast4.ini file, browse for section Database=ODBC and change it for Database=XML
Will it work?
More details about avast4.ini file click on Settings in my signature.
The best things in life are free.