Author Topic: General Difficulty & Avast shooting itself in the foot.  (Read 1428 times)

REDACTED

General Difficulty & Avast shooting itself in the foot.
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:05:25 AM »
Avast premier is "too strong", blocking my programs, or at least slowing them to the point where they themselves give up, thinking they're blocked. I have manipulated the settings all around to no avail. In fact the firewall was being particularly defiant; I would go into settings and set it to the "ask" setting versus the "auto-decide" setting, and it would switch itself back every time.
So I uninstalled it, in order to re-install and hopefully remedy the problem.
Upon re-installing the AVAST free level of software, and trying to upgrade using the premier license file, the download failed. Twenty times in a row.
At this point I right clicked on my AVAST systray icon, and disabled all shields permanently. Retrying the update, saaaaaayyyy what do you know, it worked!!!
More or less the same thing is happening to ALL my programs. Anything trying to download a file bigger than a couple Mb gets STOPPED before it can be completed. This includes basic things, such as NVIDIA trying to update its own drivers.

I'm assuming it's the web shield causing this? Which is strange, considering it has the "Do not scan trusted sites" box checked. Does AVAST not consider avast's servers a trusted source?
At this point it seems like I'll have to manually add every process (steam.exe, avastwhateveritis.exe, etc.) to the exclusion list?
Any advice/comments? Really hoping for that "no you idiot just uncheck this box" comment haha!

Update: Premier is re-nstalled, and all options have been set to "ask". Seeing if this works better.
Update 2: Works better.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:47:00 AM by luke12k »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: General Difficulty & Avast shooting itself in the foot.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »
Make sure you have the latest version installed:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166576.0

See if the problem is solved with that version.