Author Topic: Avast Icon Spinning, but Nothing in Avast Statistics  (Read 4379 times)

REDACTED

Avast Icon Spinning, but Nothing in Avast Statistics
« on: March 02, 2015, 12:42:21 AM »
I have the Avast system tray icon set to spin while it is working.  Lately, I've noticed that it is spinning even though there is nothing being reported in Avast's statistics page that anything is being scanned.

Does anyone know why the icon sometimes spins even though Avast's statistics show nothing?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Icon Spinning, but Nothing in Avast Statistics
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 12:50:26 AM »
It spins because avast is scanning something.
Could be a file, web-traffic etc.
Statistics normally only show nasty things that are found.
For more information you will have to look in the log files.
What will be in the log files depend on your settings.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:56:10 AM »
or windows indexing ....

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 01:56:57 AM »
It spins because avast is scanning something.
Could be a file, web-traffic etc.
Statistics normally only show nasty things that are found.
For more information you will have to look in the log files.
What will be in the log files depend on your settings.

Statistics show all files being scanned, not just nasty things.  They also show web and mail traffic being scanned in different shades of blue (not the best choice to create visual differentiation).

Studying the logs is a good idea.  I'll take a look.  But since they aren't visible in real-time (unlike the statistics), it's definitely not as nice as the real-time statistics.  I hope someday Avast enables 'copy to the clipboard' functionality for those statistics.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 01:59:00 AM »
or windows indexing ....

Thanks for the good idea... fortunately, I keep indexing turned off... and either way it should still show all scanning in the statistics UI.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 02:17:27 AM »
No, it shouldn't.
If it would do that there would be 10.000's of files mentioned which make it totally unreadable.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 04:02:59 AM »
No, it shouldn't.
If it would do that there would be 10.000's of files mentioned which make it totally unreadable.

I believe you are mistaken.  Take a look at it.  Thousands of files do scroll by showing everything the shields are scanning.

That's why I recommended adding scrollbars and the ability to copy one or more items.  See https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166877.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 04:14:07 PM »
No, it shouldn't.

I believe you are mistaken.  Take a look at it.  Thousands of files do scroll by showing everything the shields are scanning. But you would have to manually open that to view the report.

That's why I recommended adding scrollbars and the ability to copy one or more items.  See https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166877.0

Maintaining a live scroll bar in the Statistics - Realtime data would be a nightmare as you would first have to be recording everything scanned not just alerts. Not to mention having a small window to display it would be pretty ineffective.

There is nothing to stop you modifying the data collected by the relevant report file for the effected shield, web shield or file system shield, etc.

AvastUI > Settings > Active Protection > File System Shield (or relevant shield) - Customize > Report file - Reported items - check the OK items and that will give all files scanned.

In all honesty I think that is overkill, not to mention that report file is going to get pretty big, pretty quick. But its your system so your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 06:18:54 PM »
No, it shouldn't.

I believe you are mistaken.  Take a look at it.  Thousands of files do scroll by showing everything the shields are scanning. But you would have to manually open that to view the report.

Maintaining a live scroll bar in the Statistics - Realtime data would be a nightmare as you would first have to be recording everything scanned not just alerts. Not to mention having a small window to display it would be pretty ineffective.

Au contraire, it already records and reports everything scanned by the shields, not just alerts.

Obviously, increasing the size of the details area would be a plus, but even with the current size it would still work and be very useful.  A pause button for statistics collection would also help significantly.

Report files are nice, but unlike the statistics interface, they require constant manual reloading to see what is new.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
Well that screen shot I posted is the default settings for the Report file and that is currently the only permanent record. It is only a suggestion to expand the information recorded if you want to have more detail available at this point in time.

What is displayed in the Statistics > Realtime data, is as it says realtime live data, which presumably is a small buffer of data which is overwritten as it fills and is displayed.

As an avast user, personally I find the whole Statistics section to be very lacking in detailed information. Generally the only time I venture in there is if someone mentions it in the forums.

My report file suggestion is a work around - choose it or forget it - your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security