Author Topic: Avast 2105 is blocking access to/from email servers  (Read 15560 times)

REDACTED

Avast 2105 is blocking access to/from email servers
« on: March 02, 2015, 02:35:37 AM »
Hello, I am new to this forum.  I searched for 'email' OR 'blocked' but found nothing recent that is relevant. My apologies if this is a duplicate post. Please see my message to Avast tech support below. Thank you.

Hello. I recently (about 2 months ago) started having the problem of not being able to connect to email servers (neither send nor receive of emails works). After working on the problem on and off, I discovered that the problem disappears when I disable 'Scan inbound mail' and 'Scan outbound mail' under Settings > Active Protection > Mail Shield.  This may have been a result of my updating to your latest version (or a recent previous version): there are threads in your forum and various other places on the net about this problem, most dating from early 2014: however, as mentioned, I only recently started having this problem.  Here is an example of such a thread (the last post is mine)
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=139091.new#new

The error messages from various email clients (Outlook, Thunderbird) are varied but are of the 'cannot connect to server' type.  Webmail access (HTTP(S))works fine.  I got a lot of exercise excluding client apps, email servers and my ISP as the problem.

Enclosed is a screenshot of the Avast version I am using (the latest as far as I am aware). Surely you must have heard about this problem before. What is the solution?

Also, it seems that virus updates are not happening automatically, in spite of Update > Virus Definitions . Settings > Automatic update being set

regards,
GL

REDACTED

Re: Avast 2105 is blocking access to/from email servers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 02:38:10 AM »
sorry for the multiple attachments, it's a result of an artefact of this GUI.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 02:39:04 AM »
1]
Perform a clean install of the latest avast version:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166883.0

2]
Make sure the certificate(s) are correct:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=161298.msg1155802#msg1155802

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 04:48:19 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply. Providing I am willing to live without email protection for a bit, given this is a beta release with potential cert issues, is it realistic to expect an eventual 'standard' update that would resolve this problem?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 04:58:47 AM »
No, it is not a beta release.
It is a RTM.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 05:54:36 AM »
The Avast version which is now RTM that Eddy mentioned the final version will be released early this week and it has been mentioned by an Avast member. You can install the RTM version and when the final version comes out and the RTM version (provided that you install it) will notify you that an updated version of Avast is available. It will also be notified in this forum.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 01:01:56 AM »
Avast just auto-updated itself to 2214.  Emails still blocked, and now I can't manually virus-scan files via the context menu either (Avast window is blank). Have had this software for years without any issues, but lately there have been... maybe time to look for other software?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 01:03:21 AM »
Avast just auto-updated itself to 2214.  Emails still blocked, and now I can't manually virus-scan files via the context menu either (Avast window is blank). Have had this software for years without any issues, but lately there have been... maybe time to look for other software?

If your context scan is blank, that means your avast install is corrupt.

You need to perform a clean install:

Note: It's important you used the stub online installer from the one I linked.. NOT the offline one.

Note: You need to be ONLINE during this install (online installer works in all cases whereas offline sometimes doesn't)

1.Download your version of avast! and the avastclear tool:

Avast Free Antivirus
Avast Pro Antivirus
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier

Download Avast Clear Tool

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #3]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear. [Running Avastclear is normal mode will give a prompt to go into Safe Mode]
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.

Free: If you have the Free version, register the product for free for a year from the avast! UI.
Paid: If you have a paid license, insert the license key/activation code after the reboot at stage 6.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. It's better to ask than make a mistake and start over again with the process.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 01:10:00 AM »
Thank you for your prompt reply.  I may try to reinstall it after my next disk image... should this also cure the email-blocking issue?  Please note that the previous auto-install version did not generate a blank context-menu window (but did have email-blocking issues as mentioned).  Perhaps I should also be running a disk scan?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 01:13:48 AM »
Thank you for your prompt reply.  I may try to reinstall it after my next disk image... should this also cure the email-blocking issue?  Please note that the previous auto-install version did not generate a blank context-menu window (but did have email-blocking issues as mentioned).  Perhaps I should also be running a disk scan?

It will definitely fix the blank context.

Regarding the emails, I'm using Outlook 2010 and have no issues.

A clean install would be a good shot in trying.

I think this issue could be linked to the certificates but it's best to perform a clean install first.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 02:05:29 AM »

This may not apply in your case as I'm not sure what kind of errors (if any) you're getting when you say refer to an "email-blocking issue" but you might want to take a look at this thread before you do a reinstall  LINK TO THREAD TOPIC: My mail.com email accounts fail, this issue related to this topic was resolved.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.