Author Topic: Slow Computer . . .I'm lost. Please help.  (Read 5458 times)

REDACTED

Slow Computer . . .I'm lost. Please help.
« on: March 02, 2015, 09:51:23 AM »
Hi. Thank you for checking this out. I'm really just lost at this point. I've let this go so long that I don't know where to start really. The computer works well enough to watch shows and educate myself on various websites. Because of this I have let problems pile up. It's worth it to dive in and get this puppy up to snuff at this point.
     I started reading some of the posts on these help forums for what I should do before bothering any of you goodhearted people but, unfortunately, I don't understand the instructions well enough to do what I've read would be helpful to have done before posting this sort of thing; my apologies.
     Below you'll find the computer I'm on and what security software is in place. Beyond this, I will need specific instruction(PLEASE don't use acronyms -wdm, wmp, . . . etc) as I seldom understand these references. Thank you again so much for taking the time to help me and all those like me. You're very appreciated.

Dell Inspiron 15R 7520 SE
Intel dual-quad core i7 2.20GHz
Win 8.1 64 bit
8GB ram

Running...
Avast Premium 2015.10.0.2208
-i have everything set to be as thorough as possible. I'm no expert though.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium 2.0.4.1028

Ccleaner 5.03.5128(64 bit) -I downloaded/installed this latest version minutes before posting this. The previous version would take literally 10 - 30+ hours to complete. I haven't run this new version yet because I want to get this post up so I can get started on everything.

Please let me know in simple (non-techy) terms what I should do. Thank you all very, very much.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Slow Computer . . .I'm lost. Please help.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 10:07:13 AM »
Please use a normal font size and do not put everything on bold.

Follow these instructions if you want help:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »
Malware Scan Log.

I'll send the rest as they are available.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 12:28:26 AM »
FRST & Addition logs . . .

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 01:28:05 AM »
Here's the last attachment.
Below here you'll find notes i've made throughout the day on various little things that are out of the norm or problematic in any way. In the past the help I've recieved from this forum has been what I would have thought outside of things avast should cover to begin with; was blown away to get the positive and effective responses that I have. Point is, I don't expect that you can help with everything I list here; if you can point me in the right direction for anything you do not want to help with I would appreciate it. I've become a big fan of forums and would prefer to use this method of getting the help I need. I'm babbling and wasting time. Sorry. Thank you for all. Peace.

Malwarebytes scan took 20min. and, it stopped while performing hueristics scan and it was 'not responding' for about 45-55 seconds after which point it stated the scan was complete.

ISSUES
-I'm certain there are many issues I am unaware of. What is listed here is just what's found as I go through my day, while we work together to fix my computer.

Malwares icon is in the bottom-right corner of the screen(system tray?) -it should and doesn't open with one click; I have to right-click to & open from menu.

I plug my HDMI cord from my tv into my laptop and I am able to use the tv as a monitor. Sometimes  I can not see or scroll to the bottom of a window. Can not resize some windows(like the MWBytes Scan Log) either. When I'm online, the bottom borders of a page are not visible when maximized.

Every single day my computer asks me to update Java. I stopped doing this after updating like 3 or 4 days in a row. It still asks.

Lots of stuff I see in taskmanager running that I have no idea what they all are and would like to clean all that up but, to learn about all these different things seems extremely time consuming and impractical for a beginner like me. However, if this tedious method is the only way to clean up this/these areas of my pc then that is what I will do. But i REALLY would like to avoid that scenario.
     Also, some things under the processes tab have (32bit) next to them; I'm on Windows 8.1 64bit so, I am curious about this. Is this something that should be different? I thought to attach screen shots of task manager to show you everything on there but, I don't want to expose my system to everyone that comes across this post so, I'd like to send this info through private messages if needed.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 02:14:43 AM »
In the past the help I've recieved from this forum has been what I would have thought outside of things avast should cover to begin with
It is just not possible to create a tool that can detect/fix everything. There are +/- 390,000 new malicious programs every day. Think about how many people it would take to find them all, write detection and fixes for them.
I don't expect that you can help with everything I list here; if you can point me in the right direction for anything you do not want to help with I would appreciate it
Don't under estimate the power of combined knowledge :D
Also, some things under the processes tab have (32bit) next to them; I'm on Windows 8.1 64bit
Don't worry about it. Even Windows 8.1 is not fully 64bit. Most applications (or parts of it) are still 32bit.
to learn about all these different things seems extremely time consuming
Indeed, but that is the price of knowledge ;)

If you want to learn about computers (hardware, software and such), have a look at:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:08:42 AM »
 I'm guessing that the link to howstuffworks is not all the help you intend to provide me with? I am interested in learning more about the pc world but, before I dive into anything I need to get this machine running as smoothly as possible. I'd like to help as much as I can but, without a bit of guidance I can't do much other then guess at this or that.
Besides being slow overall I've noticed a few things that are rather specific...

-A folder named 'Python' had colored font (purple) where all others did not. I right-clicked and selected 'properties' When the properties window opened the size was growing at an incredibly fast rate. When I checked the internet for info about it I found that some places listed this as a 'trojan'. I had no option to scan the file with avast or malwarebytes. Upon searching for Python the folder no longer shows up. Curious.

-Java asking me to update every single day -I don't think they really build a new version of Java every 24hrs.

-The things I find on my task manager seem to be more than normal - Under processes>apps, Google is running once with this 'post reply' page showing when I click the expand icon. It also is running 5 separate times in the backround.
...If you could get me a link to a specific page that is about task manager maintenance or the like I would be happy to(well, maybe 'happy to' is pushing it a bit) figure this stuff out myself.

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 07:55:16 AM »
Just have a bit of patience.
One of the malware removal people will soon help you with cleaning up things.

I guess you mean Chrome and not Google since Google is not a application.
It is perfectly normal to see multiple entries of Chrome in the taskmanager, that is just how Chrome is working/programmed.
Depending on the OS, your hardware and the applications you have running the amount of processes can be anywhere between 20 and 200.

If you really want to learn about computer and everything related, start with learning how hardware is working.
After all without hardware, software, the internet and such can't work at all.
Unless you are a "miracle kid", it will take several years to even gain the knowledge of the basic things.
You will need to learn about electronics, master the binary system and such.

It is as with a pizza.
You can have everything for the topping, but without the bottom you will not be able to make a pizza ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »
Thanks very much for your help. Somewhat excited to finally be taking care of this thing. It was like light-speed when I first got it. Haven't put very much on it at all. Once this is taken care of it's the last excuse I have to fall back on for procrastinating. Hope on the horizon again. Thank you all for that!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 11:59:36 AM »
I thought to attach screen shots of task manager to show you everything on there but, I don't want to expose my system to everyone that comes across this post so, I'd like to send this info through private messages if needed.
I can gain a magnitude of more information about you with a single visit to your facebook page that I ever could from these logs or screenshots :)

After this fix could you let me know what problems you have

CAUTION :  This fix is only valid for this specific machine, using it on another may break your computer

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

CreateRestorePoint:
HKU\S-1-5-21-2649987890-3934302710-2376742019-1001\...\Winlogon: [Shell] - <==== ATTENTION
HKU\S-1-5-21-2649987890-3934302710-2376742019-1001-{ED1FC765-E35E-4C3D-BF15-2C2B11260CE4}-0\...\Winlogon: [Shell] - <==== ATTENTION
CHR HKU\S-1-5-21-2649987890-3934302710-2376742019-1001\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google: Policy restriction <======= ATTENTION
CHR HKU\S-1-5-21-2649987890-3934302710-2376742019-1001-{ED1FC765-E35E-4C3D-BF15-2C2B11260CE4}-0\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google: Policy restriction <======= ATTENTION
URLSearchHook: [S-1-5-21-2649987890-3934302710-2376742019-1006-{ED1FC765-E35E-4C3D-BF15-2C2B11260CE4}-0] ATTENTION ==> Default URLSearchHook is missing.
C:\ProgramData\Dell Click 2 Fix+-64-bit-V2546.exe
EmptyTemp:
CMD: bitsadmin /reset /allusers

Save this as fixlist.txt, in the same location as FRST.exe

Run FRST and press Fix
On completion a log will be generated please post that

THEN

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan.
  • After the scan is complete click on "Clean"
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 07:14:26 AM »
Haven't completed last instructions but, wanted to make sure you know I'm not abandoning this.

I am concerned what the things you last instructed me to do are going to do -the Notepad stuff with 'CreateRestorePoint' in the first line; is there something you are having me do that might go horribly wrong or something?

Also, the 'FRST' file location is in several places it seems. How do I know which one you want me to save the Notepad stuff to?

All the FRST/addition/...etc. stuff that you had me run -I found the same files from a previous time that I started to do this stuff but did not finish; would you like those as well? Might be a day or 2 before I respond to you but I WILL respond asap so. . .just don't figure that I gave up or something if you don't hear from me for a bit.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »
Both FRST and Fixlist.txt must be on the desktop

The create restore point is in case of the unlikely event that something goes wrong (never needed it yet)

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 04:31:03 PM »
FRST and Fixlist are not on my desktop. I may have renamed them and put them elsewhere. I can't find them in any case so, I suppose I should dl & run the FRST thing again followed by your instructions for fixlist; is there more I need do?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 05:07:12 PM »
Download a fresh copy of FRST to the desktop
Create a new fixlist from my previous post and save to the desktop
Then start FRST and press fix :)

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool