Author Topic: Scan Taking 2-3x Longer Normal?  (Read 2137 times)

REDACTED

Scan Taking 2-3x Longer Normal?
« on: March 03, 2015, 07:11:15 AM »
Hello! I had a pretty simple question about Avast virus scans / maybe virus scans in general. Is it normal for a full scan to take 2-3x longer to do the scan every time it detects a virus (or thinks it detects a virus even if it's a false positive)?

In my case this is always how it is. Full scans for me usually take about 18-22 minutes. If it detects a virus or false positive the full scan will take about 38-55 minutes. I was curious if this is normal for Avast virus scans or if this is abnormal.

Another thing I was wondering if you want to answer this as well was, is it safe for me to exclude scanning my Common folder (Steam/Steamapps/Common) from most of my full scans? I've been getting false positives for random steam game exe files over the past few months and I think I will exclude it if it is safe to do so. I downloaded all the files through steam and don't think viruses usually go there do they? I figure I'll remove the exclusion and scan the Common folder every 10th scan or so but keep it on the rest of the time.

Thank you for any help or opinions! Even if it's not a detailed technical response explaining it if you use Avast and can say if this is or isn't how it behaves for you also that would be very useful, thank you.

Kevin
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:44:56 AM by iceshardx »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Scan Taking 2-3x Longer Normal?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 08:04:06 AM »
There is really no need to post the same thing multiple times.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:49:12 AM »
Sorry, Eddy. It went the entire day and got lots of views yet got pushed off the front page with no responses - the only topic to get no responses. I think this is a fairly basic question, I'm just hoping to get input from other Avast users if their scans also take 2-3x longer if Avast detects a virus or false positive. I think I might have posted in the wrong forum so I wanted to change it to here. Can you please share your opinion on my question if you don't mind, Eddy?

Can anyone please share your opinion on whether this type of behavior with Avast happens to you also or not?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:00:16 AM by iceshardx »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 12:13:48 PM »
I think this is normal behavior...if anything is detected it start a torugh scan opening compressed files and scan inside etc....

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:20:35 PM »
Thank you, Pondus. Thank you for the response and help. I thought this might be what was happening I just had no idea I don't know a lot about a lot of stuff. I get really worried and paranoid having any confirmation that things aren't wrong is really nice, thank you.