Author Topic: Avast staff asking remote access to my computer  (Read 4390 times)

Offline dylanpete

Avast staff asking remote access to my computer
« on: April 12, 2015, 02:44:32 PM »
When waking up my computer a couple of hours ago AVAST indicated I wasn't protected and I got a message I needed to renew my subscription. I thought my subscription should still be valid but finally gave up trying and paid for an extra year...
When I received a new licence file I tried to install it and received a pop-up that it was corrupted. In the e-mail there was an AVAST support phone number which I called and after a while the person asked me to give him remote access to my computer, claiming that the problem came from my computer. When I told him my computer was less than a year old he claimed it may already be outdated...??? And again he asked for remote access.
I thought AVAST staff were not supposed to ask for remote access: https://blog.avast.com/2014/02/20/dont-be-fooled-by-support-scams-get-real-support-from-avast/
Weird enough the phone number I dialed seems to be the same number as indicated by AVAST in case of licence troubles. The guy also told me my AVAST premier had not expired and was still valid.
I refused remote access and did a "computer restore to a previous date" after which AVAST was working normally.

1) Why AVAST first told me via a pop-up that I needed to renew my subscription and forced me to pay?
2) How can I know that an AVAST rep is a genuine rep, especially after he refused to give his full name?
3) Has an AVAST rep the right to say a computer is outdated when it's less than a year old and gets regularly maintained?
4) Are we supposed to give remote access and what guarantees us the result of that...?
5) How do I get a refund?
6) Because the communication with the AVAST person was totally awkward I decided not to trust him and also canceled my credit card to anticipate further trouble...how to solve this mess?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast staff asking remote access to my computer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 03:13:43 PM »
1]
Could be because your license was expired or a corruption in the install.
No-one is forcing you to pay anything.
It is always your own choice. (except it is the tax collector telling you ;D )

2]
You didn't called avast but a third party as has been explained a lot of times already on this webboard.

3]
See 2]

4]
No, you don't have to.
It is your system and your decision.

Guarantees can not be given before the cause of something is known and there is a common fix for it.

5]
Already explained many many times on this webboard.
Submit a ticket.

6]
See 2]

Offline dylanpete

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 03:38:57 PM »
1]
Could be because your license was expired or a corruption in the install.
No-one is forcing you to pay anything.
It is always your own choice. (except it is the tax collector telling you ;D )

Eddy, would you think that if my license was expired that I would be able to get AVAST working again by doing a restore to a previous date as explained in my message??? My license was still valid till December Sir.

2]
You didn't called avast but a third party as has been explained a lot of times already on this webboard.
Eddy,
Do you recognize the number that was given to me by email "Call our free telephone support at +1 866 951 7679"
I didn't call a third party as you too easily claim...

3]
See 2]

4]
No, you don't have to.
It is your system and your decision.

Guarantees can not be given before the cause of something is known and there is a common fix for it.

5]
Already explained many many times on this webboard.
Submit a ticket.

6]
See 2]

Eddy, please review my original post in detail and come back with some reasonable answers please.
Don't treat AVAST customers in such a condescending way!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 03:59:41 PM »
1]
No, a restore (normally) will not fix things.
A repair may do so.
If not a clean install is the next thing to try.

2]
Yes you did.
That is a third party company and not avast.
They are hired by avast, but are not avast.
Never call them.
They are only after your money and provide false imformation, almost no service, are often rude etc.

6]
I am giving you reasonable answers/options/information.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:15:56 PM by Eddy »

Offline dylanpete

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 04:07:57 PM »
Oh my God, can't you read???
See my first message: I refused remote access and did a "computer restore to a previous date" after which AVAST was working normally.
AVAST is working normal since I did a restore to a former point!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reread my first message!
Or are you simply in total denial and do you want to get rid of a customer?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »
You are not a customer of mine.
I am not working for avast.

Why don't you read ?

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 04:36:14 PM »
Hi dylanpete, welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry for your bad experience.

- Good that your Avast! is working again, but using System Restrore for that is not something we would recommend.

- I agree with you that Avast! doesn't make it clear ( enough ) that the toll free telephone number is third party support that could charge you.
  In fact I beleve they always try to charge you.
  Can you please email your complaint to Vojta Nekvapil - nekvapil[at]avast[dot]com (3rd Party Support Manager).

- To get your money back from the licence you paid for you must submit a ticket https://support.avast.com/
  Please post your ticket nr. here, than I will put it forward. Maybe that will speed things up.

- For your information : All (Über)Evangelists are NOT Avast! employees, but users like you, trying to help other users :)

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:13:38 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )