Poll

Does Firefox occasionally lag when closing a tab?

Yes, and I use Avast.
2 (11.8%)
Yes, but I don't use Avast.
2 (11.8%)
No, and I use Avast.
9 (52.9%)
No, but I don't use Avast.
1 (5.9%)
I don't use Firefox, but I just feel a strong need to answer this poll, so this option is for me.
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Poll: Help determine if Avast is causing a Firefox issue  (Read 3508 times)

REDACTED

Poll: Help determine if Avast is causing a Firefox issue
« on: March 03, 2015, 07:14:44 PM »
It has been reported in quite a few places that Firefox occasionally lags when closing a tab.  It happens for some users and not for others.

One speculation is that it could be an interaction with an Antivirus.  I personally doubt it, but it's worth asking.

So for people here who use the Firefox browser, do you get occasional lags when closing a tab within Firefox?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Poll: Help determine if Avast is causing a Firefox issue
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:38:12 PM »
This poll is pointless.

No point having any I don't use avast options - it matters not a jot what they may be experiencing as this is an avast forum and this topic is in the Avast Free/Pro/Premier sub-forum.

Even less benefit as a poll selection is those not using firefox.

Essentially there are or should be only two choices:
No, and I use Avast.
Yes, and I use Avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:36:03 PM »
This poll is pointless.

No point having any I don't use avast options - it matters not a jot what they may be experiencing as this is an avast forum and this topic is in the Avast Free/Pro/Premier sub-forum.

Even less benefit as a poll selection is those not using firefox.

Essentially there are or should be only two choices:
No, and I use Avast.
Yes, and I use Avast.

Thank you for your strong-willed opinion and mild rant.  I disagree.  People often feel compelled to answer polls or find it fun, and will select the item that matches their experience more closely.  By creating poll choices that satisfy the most reasonable possibilities, it makes the results more useful and valuable.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »
Can you honestly say that your last option has any benefit whatsoever when you are asking about firefox ???

A rant won't give you any feedback on your poll selections, it would just rant on.

If you are more concerned with firefox tab closure then this should be in the General sub-forum if anywhere.

Surely the whole point of a poll is to gather beneficial information not play to someone feeling compelled to answer polls or find it fun.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:02:36 PM »
It has been reported in quite a few places that Firefox occasionally lags when closing a tab.  It happens for some users and not for others.

One speculation is that it could be an interaction with an Antivirus.  I personally doubt it, but it's worth asking.

So for people here who use the Firefox browser, do you get occasional lags when closing a tab within Firefox?

Hello Techknow,

I use Firefox 36 and Avast, and haven't encountered any problem recently.

In FF, paste "about:config" in the Address bar and press Enter.
Paste "browser.tabs.animate" in The Prefs bar.
Double-click that entry so that the value is set to false.
Close FF and restart it.

Regards.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 11:17:48 PM »
Instead of running a useless poll and if you are experiencing an issue start a thread describing in detail what's going on.
Just because you are having an issue does not necessarily mean anyone else is. Having the "exact" same issue is not very
probable since "not" everyone has the same exact set-up.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 01:00:18 AM »
Instead of running a useless poll and blah... and blah... and more blah...

The poll may not be useful to you, but it is useful to me and perhaps others.  The world is not just about you.

The objection to such a simple poll is laughable... it's like some people have no life and must spend their time complaining about even something as small as a single poll on a forum to which they have nothing meaningful to contribute.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 01:03:23 AM »

Hello Techknow,

I use Firefox 36 and Avast, and haven't encountered any problem recently.

In FF, paste "about:config" in the Address bar and press Enter.
Paste "browser.tabs.animate" in The Prefs bar.
Double-click that entry so that the value is set to false.
Close FF and restart it.

Regards.

Wow, a meaningful and useful post on the Avast forum!!!  Five stars and a  8)  thumbs-up to you!

Thanks!  I'll give it a try.  Won't hurt and might work a treat.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:46 AM »
Hello Techknow,

I'm glad I could help. Thanks for your kind words. :)

Best regards.