Author Topic: Threat Detected  (Read 2914 times)

REDACTED

Threat Detected
« on: March 04, 2015, 03:27:48 AM »
I just ran a full system scan (Avast Pro Antivirus) on my computer and  "Threat Detected" was the result.  I am unable to get "Show Results" so I do not know what to do.  I would like to quarantine or get rid of this virus, whatever it is.  I would appreciate any help.  Thank you.  ~~   Mary

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Threat Detected
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 03:45:23 AM »
This is a known issue in old(er) version of avast.
Install the latest one:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=167184.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 03:45:55 AM »
What version?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:48:34 AM by dprout69 »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 06:17:19 AM »
My version is 2015.10.0.2208 - I will try downloading the new version tomorrow and see what happens.  Thanks. 

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »
I just want to be sure I do this right. Should I uninstall my present Avast Version 2015.10.0.2208 and then install the new version?  Also, do I have to keep looking for when new versions come out, or should I be getting messages from Avast when such are available?   Thanks again.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 03:41:10 PM »
No, you don't have to uninstall your current version :)

- Open Avast! and go to : Settings - Update - Program - Update

Or

- Download the full installer from here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=167184.0 and install it over your current version.

And everyone gets an update message, but not at the same time. Otherwise the servers can't handle the amout of trafic.

Greetz, Red.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:08:10 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 04:21:54 PM »
Thanks, Red and all,  I updated as you suggested but when the download was done and the pop-up said to restart my computer to compete installation of the new version, another big pop-up came on saying to abort this download  - "File Reputation Warning - Very new or very rare - potential suspicious - digital signature not present - we suggest you remove this file .....etc."  This kept coming up and I tried to remove the Avast program but it said to restart before that could be done.  When I restarted,  I have the new version installed and I am wondering - is this OK??   Thanks - am running a full system scan now - when it says "Threat detected", does that mean there is an infection, or just a threat??  Thank you again.  ~~  Mary

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 05:03:06 PM »
I don't know why you got the File Reputation Warning, but that doesn't have to mean something bad.
But do you get the Threat Detected messages in the scan or as popup message? Can you post a screenshot ?

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:05:55 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 05:26:51 PM »
I got the Threat Detected message after I did a full system scan yesterday - when it was finished, not a pop-up, just that for scan result.  I was unable to access  Show Results.  A few weeks ago, I had a problem with numerous "Infection Blocked" messages, which essexboy helped me with on this forum.  I just ran a scan and although "Some files could not be scanned" (Cloud) which I always get, no "Threat Detected" came up.  I am going to assume that I'm ok, if something happens I will be back for help.  I do wish Avast would always say "No Virus Found" (if that is the case( after a scan - just to be clear - sometimes they do, mostly they don't.  Thanks again.  ~~  Mary

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 05:29:57 PM »
Actually,  those offline files that cannot be scanned are Sky Drives.