Author Topic: Error when configuring SMTP Alerts.  (Read 4576 times)

REDACTED

Error when configuring SMTP Alerts.
« on: March 04, 2015, 05:35:34 AM »
I have configured the SMTP settings for receiving alerts when a virus is detected.  When hitting test I get an error "Error while sending the alert.  The data area passed to a system call is too small."

I tested connecting to the SMTP server via telnet and can connect fine using the settings provided.  I've disabled the Windows firewall to test to no avail.  Any ideas?

I'm running Windows 8.1 x64 fully updated.

REDACTED

Re: Error when configuring SMTP Alerts.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 10:15:14 PM »
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software to no avail.  Anyone else have any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
What avast version are you using ?

I have been using avast free for some considerable time almost 11 years and have tried to get the SMTP alerts working and have never managed it in the free version. Generally I try it now and again, usually after someone raises the point in the forums. But to date I haven't managed it.

The only difference is I didn't get any avast dialogue window - it just failed to send.

Now that avast has the ability to send and receive SSL/TLS emails, that would add another possible complication.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 11:01:33 PM »
I'm using Avast 2015 Free.

If I remove the options to have the account authenticate and test I get a response back from the SMTP server that authentication is required.  Or if I change the security to none I get a response that I must use STARTTLS, it's only when both are set that I get the error.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:06:18 AM »
I was just wondering if you might have had one of the avast paid versions.

The only success I got was on the send test message - this however was before avast was scanning SSL/TLS - when testing with the eicar test file, the message never got sent, but no errors.

I haven't tried it since the introduction of SSL/TLS scanning, I think that just adds a degree of complexity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 02:31:20 AM »
I have it set for my yahoo mail. It used to work for port 25 but since the introduction of SSL/TLS, I switched to port 465, and it is sending alerts whenever one of the shields stops something funny.

Now, depending what e-mail you run, you will need to find the appropiate port.
http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips/mail-settings.html

Hope it helps.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 03:41:02 AM »
Thanks for the info, it ended up getting me a resolution.  I have a personal domain hosted by Google, and long story short, when I made an account to use for the alerts I never actually logged in as it so it was stuck on requiring a password change :-[  Once that was done I am able to send the alerts successfully now.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:00:50 PM »
I solved this problem by listing a sending email address that was a non-gmail account that did not have 2-factor verification on it. When I tested it, the Alert was sent successfully.