Author Topic: E-mail help please!!!  (Read 3052 times)

harvey24

E-mail help please!!!
« on: October 03, 2005, 07:42:07 AM »
I am brand new to Avast and am trying to figure this thing out.  My main question has to do with e-mail.  I use Incredimail and that is on the list covered by Avast but I have two accounts configured to receive mail there.  One is my main ISP and the other is my Gmail account.  Both come through Incredimail but when I'm receiving mail, I only see Avast scanning my incoming mail with my ISP, but not doing anything when I'm receiving my Gmail.  Why is this and is it some complex thing for it to scan the Gmail messages too?  I'm so ready to scream at this point because I've been reading everything I can get my hands on.  I managed to uninstall Norton's last night, using all the steps they gave but I can't seem to figure this program out....go figure!  Is there any help out there?

Thanks so much in advance,
Sheryl 

Offline xistenz

• Poster
Re: E-mail help please!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 07:48:57 AM »
Hi Sheryl and welcome to the forums,

GMail uses a secure and encrypted method to transfer your email to your computer. It is impossible for avast to decrypt the email as it is transmitted becasue it does not know the decryption key for every email. In fact, it is impossible for any antivirus to scan encrypted emails as they are sent.

I belive there is a way around this by using a program called stunnel. I havn't tried it yet so I may be wrong. Do a search in the forums for "stunnel"

EDIT: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 07:51:24 AM by Jedi Squirrel »

harvey24

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 08:17:30 AM »
Thank you for the reply Jedi.  I'm 99% sure that Norton was scanning the mails though.  Let me ask you this while I'm replying......will Avast be able to scan Yahoo mails if that's configured into Incredimail?  Reason I'm asking is because I know for sure that Norton's is scanning all of those because I still have it on one of our computers. 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 02:58:34 PM »
Thank you for the reply Jedi.  I'm 99% sure that Norton was scanning the mails though. 
Sure or not avast requires a third party interface in order to scan the email before it is encrypted or after decryption. That is the whole purpose of secure email so people can't open it and read it.

Let me ask you this while I'm replying......will Avast be able to scan Yahoo mails if that's configured into Incredimail?  Reason I'm asking is because I know for sure that Norton's is scanning all of those because I still have it on one of our computers. 
It is probably best to keep this in your other thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=16734.0 you didn't mention the Norton bit in that though.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security