Author Topic: Crippled installation  (Read 2836 times)

joburg

Crippled installation
« on: October 01, 2005, 09:50:25 PM »
Problem but no problem. I'm using Avast Home running on 98SE with absolutely no problem.
My friend is running on XP Home SP2 via AOL. I'll list all the symptoms and hopefully there is some advice.
This XP puter had Norton AV 2004 and thereafter AV 2005 on it. It has been uninstalled with the std uninstall procedure. Registry not further checked or modified.
Avast Home installed without a hitch but the std blue ball icon not visible. We've checked and both blocks checked under 'Appearance' in Program Settings to show and animate the icon.
When trying to start Avast the splash screen comes up but will not test memory. He can get to the actual interface and do a complete drive scan and also request updating.
Also tried the repair route but no change after the repair.
How deep is Norton embedded in the Registry? A normal Norton uninstall via Windows' functions, will that be clean enough?
Any help will be appreciated.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Crippled installation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 10:29:22 PM »
In a word NO Norton is devious and never wants to let go of your system.  Go to the norton site and download the special uninstal tool for your version.  Uninstall avast - run the tool - reboot - reinstal Avast. For further info search this site with the keyword "norton uninstal" or "uninstal norton" for further info

This would be a good place to start http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12169.0

joburg

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 12:16:23 PM »
Thanks essexboy, the answer I did not want (hoped not) to receive but the only correct answer. Should be a law against hogware.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 02:24:15 PM »
Sorry about that but thats the big boys for you.  We are here to help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 03:03:49 PM »
How deep is Norton embedded in the Registry?
Terribly deep  :'(

A normal Norton uninstall via Windows' functions, will that be clean enough? Any help will be appreciated.
No  :'(
See: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12169.0 or http://www.claymania.com/av-uninstall.html.

Manual Removal NAV 2004
Manual Removal NAV 2003 or earlier
The best things in life are free.

joburg

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 01:16:25 AM »
Thanks folks, but it is all a bit too much for my friend. He opted for McAfee as it is offered free to all AOL users. If there are still remnants of Norton in the Registry then hopefully AOL will be able to assist.
Personally I find Avast a bit boring (I had more exhilaration with PC Tools 5.0 for DOS). It just sits there, updates unceasingly and I just surf. How utterly convenient, I hope it stays that dreary.

My sincere gratitude to those anonymous gurus at Alwil.