Author Topic: Offer pop-ups  (Read 77574 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: Offer pop-ups
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »
@ lakrsrool

If you are finished writing essays and/or short stories try this one on for size...Have you ever driven down a highway and "not" see advertising?
A small pop-up two or three times a day isn't worth getting your knickers in a twist. Just click the "x" and move on. A pop-up every now and then
is a very small price to pay for "free" protection. You can set pop-up duration to as low as two seconds.

By the way, the longer the post the less likely someone is going to take the time to read it. "Short, sweet and to the point" is the best thing to do.

I can tell you that I've had just the "seasonal sale" POPUP alone appear far more than 2 to 3 times a day.  A couple of times a day, well OK, but if you think about it, you might experience a bombshell epiphany and recognize that the frequency that a user might experience repetitive POPUPS will inherently depend upon how much of the time a person is on their computer (hmmm head scratch, light bulb turns on). 

A person can be on their computer for various reasons (i.e. they may be involved in application programming and/or designing websites or they maybe involved in an on-line business or they may be involved in their own respective marketing program etc etc for example) which requires them to be on the computer most of the time.  In my case I am mostly on my computer various times throughout the day and night for prolonged periods of time and again I can assure you that I get various types of Avast POPUPS FAR MORE than just 2 to 3 times a day and when you happen to be diligently working on something it is clearly distracting to be interrupted with the irritant of an incidental ad when the fact is I have other applications that provide me with much more meaningful POPUP messages throughout the day and night that are far more critical to my needs than the insignificance of a repetitive ad all day and night long.  Which is why I have previously suggested that either "learning" software or giving the user the option to minimally reduce the ads in situations where the user happens to be on their respective computer for longer periods of time than most is a reasonable option to consider offering the user. 

Personally, I don't see how POPPING UP an ad (especially the very same one) more than once a day is necessary and more than that it would seem to me to be in the realm of "badgering" hence not only unnecessary but actually work against the goal of promoting the product as a result of this aggressive approach to marketing a product.

This is probably too much for you to read once again, but my reply to you is as succinct as possible and still get the point across, imho.  It is sometimes a good idea to actually take the extra bit of time to read more, sometimes a person can actually even learn something that they may have never considered like for example in this case possibly.  I do sincerely appreciate the advise you have extended to me however.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:20:52 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2015, 10:39:14 PM »
And the novel continues. The answer is still the same.
Good thing it's a quiet afternoon. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2015, 11:58:17 PM »
And the novel continues. The answer is still the same.
Good thing it's a quiet afternoon. :)

OK, since the "answer is still the same" even if one considers that a person may in some cases be on their computer the majority of the number of hours in a day which would inherently change the paradigm in a significant manner regarding Para-Noid's conclusions expressed here so then let's take your "answer" (presumably on this page further up), that is as you say "still the same", on this "quiet afternoon" as referenced below and break it down piece by piece..... You'll find it fun and possibly even interesting  ;)

My premise here is simply based on the paradigm of honorable marketing practices
You could try to sell that to Government agency. They aren't in business to make money only spend it.
It's also a great work model to bankruptcy. :)

In response to my quote above:

Let's see, starting with your initial input, "You could try to sell that to Government agency".... hmmm, I guess so.... and continuing on with your "answer" that is "still the same", quote, "They aren't in business to make money only spend it.", absolutely indisputably correct!!!! couldn't agree with you more.... and FINALLY your final contribution, "It's also a great work model to bankruptcy", well first of all one must consider with the ability to print an unending supply of $ this arguably makes this premise debatable.... Oh wait but then you're probably referencing private enterprise, RIGHT? so then in that case I would have to say on a serious note that your final point is actually entirely debatable if in fact your answer applies to MY COMMENT that you are replying to which is to say quote: "My premise here is simply based on the paradigm of honorable marketing practices".  One would conclude from your reply that "dishonorable" marketing practices would be the correct approach if in fact your point actually applies to what I posted and your conclusion is that what I posted is a "... great work model for bankruptcy" as you precisely put it.... I think one could legitimately argue the opposite, that is to say that "honorable marketing practices" would in fact represent the novel idea that this approach is actually a model to avoid bankruptcy.  But then we can all have substantially variant opinions on what might be the better approach which while on the one hand can ultimately be responsible for disaster in some cases, on the other hand definitely does make life interesting however.  :)

Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2015, 12:59:29 PM »
@lakrsrool

Just ignore the ads pop-ups or like I said in another post buy the paid version.  I usually get 2 pop-up ads everyday but that doesn't bother me.  I'm getting the best Antivirus protection for free so I'm not about to get upset over a couple pop-ups.

REDACTED

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »
I recommended many people to use AVAST (family mostly).  I now feel responsible for the adware on their computers.  It is dishonnest to change marketing policy through an update.  At least differentiate between existing customers and new customers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2015, 03:22:08 PM »
Has anyone started to think creatively yet - change avast settings to silent/gaming mode. This however, may have other undesired effects.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 04:19:16 PM »
i've been using (and recommending) Avast for over a decade. the popups are pretty annoying. if you're doing work or research or whatever, they are totally distracting. you can't measure this in the amount of time it takes to close the advertisement. and it's just getting worse. i switched from AntiVir for the exact same reason.  i'm also considering switching again

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 04:28:33 PM »
I recommended many people to use AVAST (family mostly).  I now feel responsible for the adware on their computers.  It is dishonnest to change marketing policy through an update.  At least differentiate between existing customers and new customers.
??? What adware ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 05:24:59 PM »
i've been using (and recommending) Avast for over a decade. the popups are pretty annoying. if you're doing work or research or whatever, they are totally distracting. you can't measure this in the amount of time it takes to close the advertisement. and it's just getting worse. i switched from AntiVir for the exact same reason.  i'm also considering switching again

Did you not read the post directly above yours before posting - that surely should avoid distractions when "you're doing work or research or whatever"
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 05:25:30 PM »
??? What adware ???

Actually off the top of my head I would NOT have used the word "adware", but then again the more I think about it, "if the shoe fits"..... OK so then one might ask does the shoe really fit?

I think some can arguably say there is perhaps a distinction if we want to consider what most tacitly consider is "adware", that being software that's exclusive purpose is to raise revenue through advertising.  But I think what fine line of demarcation does exist the interpretation can be considered a bit indistinct in many ways if we breakdown what the word really does represent and how it is commonly defined by most people.

To be fair, tomvdp has brought up an interesting concept here in regards to semantics when one starts to think about it.

So then let's actually take an honest look at the word using sources I think all would agree are reputable of which undoubtedly there exists a vast majority of consensus that these sources I'm using below are considered absolutely accurate:

LINK: Adware defined in dictionary.com

Taking the top definition listed on this web site we have the following:

1.  software that displays advertisements and is integrated into another program offered at no charge or at low cost.

While I have not thought about it in these terms up until this point, when one reads the primary definition of the word it does come pretty close to matching the behavior we see with Avast it would seem.  HOW MANY AGREE THAT THIS DEFINITION RIGHT OUT OF DICTIONARY.COM COMES REASONABLY CLOSE TO MATCHING THE WORD USED BY tomvdp?

OK, not enough or not convinced, let's look at another well respected source most if not all consider reliably accurate.

LINK: The term "Adware" defined in Wikipedia

Keeping in mind that I am (as I did above) simply doing a copy/paste of the top section in Wikipedia on this word.

We find the following in wikipedia:

Adware, or advertising-supported software, is any software package which automatically renders advertisements in order to generate revenue for its author. The advertisements may be in the user interface of the software or on a screen presented to the user during the installation process. The functions may be designed to analyze which Internet sites the user visits and to present advertising pertinent to the types of goods or services featured there. The term is sometimes used to refer to software that displays unwanted advertisements.[1]

Hmmm, once again does sort of fit once again...... the shoe that is!!!  Once again, HOW MANY AGREE THAT THIS DESCRIPTION RIGHT OUT OF WIKIPEDIA COMES REASONABLY CLOSE TO MATCHING THE WORD USED BY tomvdp?

Clearly we can have a fair and honest debate on how well it fits, but I'd say the old adage "if the shoe fits".... does sort of FIT, wouldn't you say. 

To be sure this is not what most (myself included) would have concluded is a word that would accurately apply to this topic, but then when one starts to seriously analyze the real meaning of the term as accepted by reliable sources it does raise the question whether it is after all a more accurate description than most would have initially considered the word to be in the first place.

So yes, undoubtedly an interesting point raised by tomvdp any way you look at it.

And of course bob3160, you've clearly raised an interesting QUESTION!!!.... Wouldn't you AGREE?  ;)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 05:35:44 PM »

Did you not read the post directly above yours before posting - that surely should avoid distractions when "you're doing work or research or whatever"

DavidR, that was a creative idea you've offered, and is certainly very appreciated.

That said, did you consider that there can be some very critical alerts such as waiting on a very important message [email] alert or perhaps the persons research for example or in the case of writing production applications the user would necessarily need an alert in the event of a "threat" that as a result of that very "research" or that very "production work" which as I understand it would not be available when using this setting.  I think the point is that there can be critical information a user might still need as opposed to repeated intrusive ads that the user after seeing them dozens of times is already well aware of at which time the ads become nothing more than an annoyance.

Again, it is an interesting idea however and perhaps for some an alternative worth trying.

Offline stibi

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 05:42:03 PM »
It's a free product, they have a right to advertise.

Yes. But don't forget the reason for a free version - they do it not just for fun alone, it brings a much broader basis of AV-customers than the paid version alone. And it's very useful for fast recocnition of malware.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2015, 05:53:02 PM »

Yes. But don't forget the reason for a free version - they do it not just for fun alone, it brings a much broader basis of AV-customers than the paid version alone. And it's very useful for fast recocnition of malware.
And as an end result, those of us using the product, benefit through quicker protection to the latest discovered malware. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2015, 05:55:50 PM »

DavidR, that was a creative idea you've offered, and is certainly very appreciated.

That said, did you consider that there can be some very critical alerts such as waiting <snip>

Again, it is an interesting idea however and perhaps for some an alternative worth trying.

My previous posts mentions there could be other undesired effects.

Has anyone started to think creatively yet - change avast settings to silent/gaming mode. This however, may have other undesired effects.

Since we have lost the ability to stop auto update notifications, to which these popups had been piggybacked - now you can't disable the auto update notifications - the ads remain whilst the auto update notification has been killed. I don't believe there are any easy routes, e.g. by using something in the UI settings to remove/stop it and inadvertently remove the ads.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2015, 09:54:07 PM »

And as an end result, those of us using the product, benefit through quicker protection to the latest discovered malware. :)

And as stibi pointed out, the end result of the very large number of FREE users is inherently WHY all users "benefit through quicker protection...." that you reference, which is to say the FREE users are a critical aspect of the success of Avast.  In part what I've been saying all along, in regards to the benefits of retaining a large FREE user base which will inherently help grow the entire user base as a result of improved performance pointed out here but also by what I've mentioned as well; that being a much greater and broader exposure of the product is the direct result of this very large and very critical FREE user base hence the conspicuous necessity of not alienating this specific user base becomes that much more obvious.

It is important to keep in mind that thinking outside of the box is very often both revealing and rewarding at the same time.  I would add that all of this is btw, not only what I've purposed to Avast users that appear to have a difficult time comprehending some of these marketing intricacies but are specific concepts that I've suggested should also be taken into account by the administrators of the Avast product as well.  The recognition of how important the success of the company relies upon the FREE user base is a concept that should not be dismissed as trivial by not only the Avast management but also by users posting in this forum who in some cases clearly dismiss the concept.

Lastly I would point out to dprout69 that the indisputable fact that all businesses have the inherent "right to advertise" (while obvious on its face) is totally irrelevant to the point being discussed.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:56:00 PM by lakrsrool »