Author Topic: Offer pop-ups  (Read 77929 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: Offer pop-ups
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2015, 09:18:34 PM »
To each his own of course, but as a user who is on the computer for the majority of time during a day I can't be bothered by trivial POPUP ADS that as a 15+ user I'm well aware of that as such for me personally serves absolutely no purpose other than to act as distraction from my ongoing projects so I for one appreciate the suggestion offered by DavidR as it works for me.  I would suspect that Avast would not be in the least shall we say that reprehensible, for lack of a better word, to actually go to the extent of allowing POPUPS in "silent/gaming mode" (the word "gaming" the key word here as far as the critical nature of the setting for those that would use it for the most part).  As I see it, most will not utilize this approach first of all simply because of the draw backs already pointed out in that most will prefer to be aware of "threat" alerts and secondly according to a considerable number of users on this board they profess the opinion that it's not that much of a bother to them anyway therefore is presumably not something they would be interested in doing in the first place.  It would seem to me that because of the already stated drawbacks for the relatively few who would still remain interested in using this function for the purpose of "peace of mind" from their perspective this should not be a concern for Avast in regards to marketing their product(s) to current users.  Point being, the relatively very small number of users who are willing to put up with the drawbacks of having no "alerts" by doing so is not going to represent any impact worth mentioning in regards to product marketing.  But rather I would suggest that in their infinite wisdom Avast would recognize the undeniable fact that users who actually do take this route are not only a relative handful by comparison but also the concept that if it means that much to these users why should it be of any concern of Avast anyway.  For what reason would Avast want to antagonize even more users (including the vast number of gamers) for such a trivial matter as this, is the point I'm making.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2015, 10:29:02 PM »
One thing that if you choose to use this option - as I said there are going to be times when you would want interaction.

One that I have been waiting for is the Hardened Mode (off by default -  I have it on) stopped me installing EditPadLite update. I was half expecting it as it isn't what I would call a commonly used program and unlikely that the executable is digitally signed. When it didn't run I stopped 'silent/gaming mode,' I ran the installation file, and clicked the Add an Exclusion option in the popup and off it went.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2015, 11:34:27 PM »
Yes of course there will be times when "alerts" will be needed (i.e. when scans or installs are done are two examples) which is when the user would adjust settings accordingly and of course "hardened mode" set to "off" in the event installs are done and as pointed out the convenience of having the "add to exclusion list" option is a convenient provision Avast offers users that certainly does help make the use of "hardened mode" seamless when the option is turned back on following the install.

Clearly the very wide range of options provided to the user by Avast is one aspect of Avast that makes it a very popular AV application.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2015, 08:18:14 PM »
So who knows just from "word of mouth" how many adherents to Avast my comments to the class and instructor were brought about through out the ensuing years.  And of course back then during my days as a IS student I always made sure I took every opportunity to recommend an AV program (Avast) simply because I was happy with it back then and wanted others to know about it.  This is what I'm talking about as far as "word of mouth" in regards to satisfied users.  Of course way back then this was a time w

Same here, although not in a classroom setting, I recommended Avast! whenever I did customer support - maybe it was the late 90s but certainly hundreds of users... Same when I was an ISP, etc. etc.

It was the politeness of Avast! that made it stand out over the likes of AVG, Panda, and the like because from quarter to quarter the effectiveness sort of averages out. 

I suspect that there has been a change at the top. Founders stepping back, or new officer, or something along those lines that has caused this change.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2015, 09:02:05 PM »
So who knows just from "word of mouth" how many adherents to Avast my comments to the class and instructor were brought about through out the ensuing years.  And of course back then during my days as a IS student I always made sure I took every opportunity to recommend an AV program (Avast) simply because I was happy with it back then and wanted others to know about it.  This is what I'm talking about as far as "word of mouth" in regards to satisfied users.  Of course way back then this was a time w

Same here, although not in a classroom setting, I recommended Avast! whenever I did customer support - maybe it was the late 90s but certainly hundreds of users... Same when I was an ISP, etc. etc.

It was the politeness of Avast! that made it stand out over the likes of AVG, Panda, and the like because from quarter to quarter the effectiveness sort of averages out. 

I suspect that there has been a change at the top. Founders stepping back, or new officer, or something along those lines that has caused this change.

BINGO and it's not speculative as I've pointed out.

REDACTED

« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2015, 09:02:59 PM »

Summit Partners, a private equity company, put in a stake in 2010 but the really big news was a major investment by CVC Captial Partners in 2014. So, it is just a coincidence that things started changing in regards to the pop-ups for the free version? You be the judge.  Then there was the acquisition of Jumpstart, a company that came into being because of Kickstart,  which was the original name of Grimefighter and the big push to sell Grimefighter that rendered I don't know how many people with computers that could not boot or whose wireless adapters were rendered useless.  I have been using avast for many many years but I still am on the fence on when or if I should look elsewhere.

http://www.cvc.com/Media-Centre.htmx?mediaitem=9781410021501&tabyear=2014

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thejumpshot/jumpshot-a-new-weapon-to-battle-pc-frustration/comments?cursor=5599722&direction=asc

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:13:42 PM by zorgon »

REDACTED

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2015, 09:30:57 PM »
Summit Partners, a private equity company, put in a stake in 2010 but the really big news was a major investment by CVC Captial Partners in 2014. So, it is just a coincidence that things started changing in regards to the pop-ups for the free version? You be the judge.

Well there you have it. CVC specializes in buying out founders/management and then extracting maximum value from the acquisition.

So, we can rant, scream, turn blue in the face, but the focus isn't on reputation any longer.

That's all I needed to know, really.

What a shame.

REDACTED

« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2015, 10:04:44 PM »
Yea, it is a shame.  Avast really went downhill.  I used to recommend avast to everyone but I won't anymore.  These pop-ups ruin it for me.  Several of the posters here mentioned moving to another solution.  Does anyone have any suggestions with pros and cons?

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »
It is my opinion that Avast will once again look into going public.  Avast had actually considered going public at some point in the past as of December 20, 2011 at which time Avast Software filed for an IPO with the SEC for an initial offering of $200 million in common shares. This was later revised to a much more specific IPO offer of the company at some point in early 2012 (perhaps January) to be listed on the NASDAQ exchange under the symbol AVST.US (if I recall correctly) with a then agreed upon initial share price established at between $9.00 and $11.00 offering 9,000,000 initially with the intention of generating an offer amount of $113,850,000.00 and there was to be 84,600,000 share outstanding with a lockup period of 180 days.  But as it turned out Avast ultimately withdrew the IPO offer as of 7/25/2012 thus abandoning their plans to go public as of that time. It all comes down to where priorities are placed and I feel that an ultimate goal for this company is to eventually go public hence the focus has been growing more pronounced in the areas of profit margins and revenue generation which in turn reflects upon their approach in advertising their product(s).

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2015, 01:04:59 AM »
The real reason for the free version is that it provides Avast with an army of unpaid beta testers who help them fix the multiple bugs in every new version, and so avoid driving away corporate customers who would not put up with such shoddy programming.

Nonsence !

As I explained earlier : The free vs paid is what they are based their business model on.

Greetz, Red.

OK, since this thread is back again, I can't stand the mystery anymore  ;).  I'm afraid I have to give up, so what exactly are you saying regarding the bolded part above?  ???  I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that means exactly.  :-\

Offline Quiksilver

• Avast team
    • Official Avast Support
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »
The real reason for the free version is that it provides Avast with an army of unpaid beta testers who help them fix the multiple bugs in every new version, and so avoid driving away corporate customers who would not put up with such shoddy programming.

Nonsence !

As I explained earlier : The free vs paid is what they are based their business model on.

Greetz, Red.

OK, since this thread is back again, I can't stand the mystery anymore  ;).  I'm afraid I have to give up, so what exactly are you saying regarding the bolded part above?  ???  I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that means exactly.  :-\

That free is free is free, and if you want the kitchen sink, you'd best pucker up.
Find answers to your questions via our support page

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2015, 05:16:43 PM »

Nonsence !

Greetz, Red.

That free is free is free, and if you want the kitchen sink, you'd best pucker up.

lol  ;D

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2015, 05:33:37 PM »

Nonsence !

Greetz, Red.

lol  ;D

So this is what you're saying is defined by Avast as a "business model" assuming "their" means Avast, I'm not sure how in the world you reach that conclusion from the narrative posted,  but OK, to be frank I'd have to say the alternate explanation has more relevance, but to each his own.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:38:37 PM by lakrsrool »

Offline Quiksilver

• Avast team
    • Official Avast Support
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2015, 02:44:52 PM »
To be fair, this is not Avast's "business model" it is employed by many companies all over the world. Aluminum siding is always extra ;)
Find answers to your questions via our support page

REDACTED

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »
I'm not suggesting it is a solution, just an option to consider if the popups bug people so much.

Creative, as in the fact that there is no option to stop the popups (unless you purchase the paid versions), so you need to look at other options though not specifically designed to stop the popups, but as a consequence will also stop them.

in the past few days i've been receiving a popup at least once a day. today a new big kind of popup appeared with a photograph in it (very obnoxious: see attachment). it seems Avast has gotten more aggressive with it's advertising (as said).