Author Topic: Macbook Pro will not shut-down or restart  (Read 3827 times)

REDACTED

Macbook Pro will not shut-down or restart
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:12:59 AM »
Hello, I've been using Avast Anti-virus since 2012 after switching from iAntivirus.  I have just recently upgraded to my third macbook pro.  During this time, I have had issues with my computer not wanting to fully shutdown, or restart when I tell it to from the Apple sleep/shutdown menu, and I would always have to hold down the power button for it to shutdown.  Well, after doing some research over the past week, people seemed to have issues with Kaepersky Antivirus on a mac, not allowing them to fully shutdown their computer.  I just recently uninstalled Avast....and have not have any issues with my computer shutting down.  any idea on what is keeping the computers from shutting down.  I also have a mac mini that has Avast on it, but it never has issues shutting down.  But not sure what the issues is with the MBP.

REDACTED

Re: Macbook Pro will not shut-down or restart
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
If this is a problem with your MacBook when Kaspersky's antivirus is installed but not when Avast is installed, why post it here?  I would think Kaspersky's forums would be a more suitable place for it.

That said, I had been using a commercial version of Kaspersky's on my MacBook Pro for past 2 years with no such problem. It was installed on it by company I last worked for.  Since license for that is expiring next week, I uninstalled Kasperskys a couple days ago.

Now, I'm trying to use Avast Mac Security in it's place because after 1.6 years of no job, I don't want the license expense for Kaspersky's.  In doing that, I encountered a certificate problem with Firefox and Thunderbird while Avast is on it; but no problems with Safari.

So, I'm now debating on whether I want to use Safari while all my everything (bookmarks, login usernames/passwords,...) are on Firefox or bite the bullet and spend $$ I don't have for a license to continue using Kaspersky.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
If this is a problem with your MacBook when Kaspersky's antivirus is installed but not when Avast is installed, why post it here?  I would think Kaspersky's forums would be a more suitable place for it.

That said, I had been using a commercial version of Kaspersky's on my MacBook Pro for past 2 years with no such problem. It was installed on it by company I last worked for.  Since license for that is expiring next week, I uninstalled Kasperskys a couple days ago.

Now, I'm trying to use Avast Mac Security in it's place because after 1.6 years of no job, I don't want the license expense for Kaspersky's.  In doing that, I encountered a certificate problem with Firefox and Thunderbird while Avast is on it; but no problems with Safari.

So, I'm now debating on whether I want to use Safari while all my everything (bookmarks, login usernames/passwords,...) are on Firefox or bite the bullet and spend $$ I don't have for a license to continue using Kaspersky.

Two observations:

1 - The user only cites issues Kaspersky as an example of a similar problem, they are not saying their problem is with Kaspersky, they clearly state it's with Avast.

2 - You are hijacking a legitimate question and issue of an user just to plug in your problem that has absolutely no relation and you have already explained in a separate thread.

Unfortunately I cannot help the original poster with their issue, but I ask anyone reading this to completely ignore your comment.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 03:01:25 AM »
Hello,

I never said that I used Kapersky.  I said that I was researching and Kapersky users said that when they uninstalled Kapersky, then it fixed the issue.  So, I uninstalled Avast, and it has fixed the issue on the Macbook Pro.

That is why I referenced Kapersky.