Author Topic: Avast UI opens after scheduled scan completes  (Read 10768 times)

REDACTED

Avast UI opens after scheduled scan completes
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:22:41 PM »
This has been happening for a few versions, and Avast technical support acknowledges that this is a bug, but no progress on being fixed.

I am now running 2015.10.2.2214 but have seen this for several months, on Windows 7 x64

Once a quick or full scheduled scan completes, the Avast UI opens to the scan page for the type of scan that just completed. I have verified that the check box for opening scan results once a scan completes is unchecked.

Avast, please respond and let us know when this will be fixed!

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast UI opens after scheduled scan completes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »
You need to do a clean install. This issue normally happens when an install is corrupt.

You need to perform a clean install:

Note: It's important you used the stub online installer from the one I linked.. NOT the offline one.

Note: You need to be ONLINE during this install (online installer works in all cases whereas offline sometimes doesn't)

1.Download your version of avast! and the avastclear tool:

Avast Free Antivirus
Avast Pro Antivirus
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier

Download Avast Clear Tool

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #3]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear. [Running Avastclear is normal mode will give a prompt to go into Safe Mode]
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.

Free: If you have the Free version, register the product for free for a year from the avast! UI.
Paid: If you have a paid license, insert the license key/activation code after the reboot at stage 6.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. It's better to ask than make a mistake and start over again with the process.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:14:45 PM »
I have tried that but problem still persisted. To remove Avast I booted in safe mode and used the avast_clear.exe, then restarted Windows 7 normally and installed Avast using the online installer.

I have also installed Avast on more than a dozen machines for other people, some of which never had a virus program installed, and every one shows the same behavior.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 11:16:15 PM »
I have tried that but problem still persisted. To remove Avast I booted in safe mode and used the avast_clear.exe, then restarted Windows 7 normally and installed Avast using the online installer.

I have also installed Avast on more than a dozen machines for other people, some of which never had a virus program installed, and every one shows the same behavior.

Did you use the online installer that I've used above?

Did you delete the drivers from device manager?

When did you try the clean install?

Are you sure your PC isn't infected with malware?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 11:19:37 PM »
Yes, yes, March 5 or 6, Yes

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 11:21:18 PM »
Here is link to same topic about 8 months ago that was never resolved: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=151496.0

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 11:23:52 PM »
Yes, yes, March 5 or 6, Yes

Well...

I remember this being an issue for users and a clean install did fix it for some of them.

If you've tried it, you could try it again or I could get a malware analyst to examine your system if there are any issues?

Other than that, I haven't seen this issue being mentioned in a while.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 11:26:46 PM »
I am pretty sure I don't have any malware as Avast runs a Full scan once a week, I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed and used once a week, and even ran a full scan with Microsoft's mrt.exe.

I don't have an explanation why others on this forum haven't seen it but every computer I have installed Avast on does; and every install was done from the link in the release forum topic to the online installer.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 11:29:44 PM »
but every computer I have installed Avast on does

It could be possible that avast! is conflicting with another program that you have installed on the computers since you state every computer of yours has an issue with it.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 11:33:25 PM »
I had that same thought so the last time I did a full reinstall of Windows 7 from DVD (around February 2015) after the install was done and before I installed any Microsoft updates or any other programs I installed Avast, scheduled a scan and the UI opened upon completion of the scan.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 11:35:50 PM »
I had that same thought so the last time I did a full reinstall of Windows 7 from DVD (around February 2015) after the install was done and before I installed any Microsoft updates or any other programs I installed Avast, scheduled a scan and the UI opened upon completion of the scan.

Well, that's odd then.

The only thing I can suggest is trying a clean install or getting a malware analyst to examine the system for conflicting software issues etc (it doesn't need to be related to malware)

Other than that, you can try another support ticket.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 11:42:25 PM »
I did submit a new ticket using avastsupport.exe on 3/20/2015, and will update this topic once I hear anything. Not sure how to find ticket number, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 11:46:50 PM »
Did you disable Windows Defender?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 11:48:12 PM »
Yes; Windows Defender is disabled

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 11:50:33 PM »
The opening of the UI after a scheduled scan started with release 2014.9.0.2021; before this release the UI did not open automatically.