Author Topic: CCleaner Cripples Application Load Times  (Read 119152 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: CCleaner Cripples Application Load Times
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2005, 01:46:31 PM »
Just thought the following would be more in line.... :)

Or like this:

;D  ;D
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2005, 01:48:33 PM »
Just thought the following would be more in line.... :)

Or like this:

;D  ;D
Even nicer Sasha  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

darth.mikey

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2005, 01:50:03 PM »
So what do you think about your new avatar chaos_defined ?  :o   ;D

galooma

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2005, 01:50:25 PM »
Looks like a rabbit caught in the crosshairs  ;D

now i know why i havent shown my ugly mug :)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2005, 01:51:30 PM »
I just don't understand what he meant by "chaos defined"... maybe his hair ? (joke hehe)

Chaos Defined, do not be mad at me, we are funny people, you'll learn it while you are here...  ;D  ;D
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Umath

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2005, 02:40:40 PM »
IMO, the reason the posts related to the original discussions are ignored is that they are already thoroughly discussed in this thread.  We have at least a general idea how the prefetch function works in theory.  However, many people using the modern machines don't seem to see noticeable differences, including myself.  So, as someone said, nothing to be fussed about.  Do what you want with prefetch data files.  It's your computer after all.

Seeing this forum is so offtopicalaized, it might be high time to bring back the toy-ground in order to separate it with "serious" business.  ;)  That said, I have to confess that I am always impressed by the talent of people in the fora to make a technical thread into casual entertainment.  Keep on your good works.

Mastertech

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2005, 02:45:34 PM »
That is not true. You need to test it with a stop watch to see how drastically Prefetching improves performance. It is not something that is unnoticeable even on new systems.

darth.mikey

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2005, 02:58:59 PM »
Abraxas i think it's maybe time to close this thread i think enough has been said on the subject already...what do you think?And if somebody would sticky it that would be nice...  ;)

Cheers

Mikey

Umath

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2005, 03:13:01 PM »
Abraxas i think it's maybe time to close this thread i think enough has been said on the subject already...what do you think?And if somebody would sticky it that would be nice...  ;)

This is what I would have written.  Another vote for closing.  ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2005, 03:20:34 PM »
All I see in there is nice discussion and no one insulted anyone... also, there are no signs of flame of any kind. Other off-topic stuff are always here to calm down the situation if it gets too hot. In this case, those weren't even needed, but our responsibility is to warn if someone doesn't work by forum rules... in this case, to wide avatar...

just my 2 cents...  ;)

darth.mikey

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2005, 03:26:34 PM »
All I see in there is nice discussion and no one insulted anyone... also, there are no signs of flame of any kind. Other off-topic stuff are always here to calm down the situation if it gets too hot. In this case, those weren't even needed, but our responsibility is to warn if someone doesn't work by forum rules... in this case, to wide avatar...

just my 2 cents...  ;)

Yes Sasha i know... I didn't say  anybody was flaming or anything like that, but don't you think that enough has been said on this subject already?What more is there to say?

Umath

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2005, 03:41:22 PM »
Yes, I think yous made a good recycle of the thread and successfully made me giggle (again) but, at the same time, I couldn't but notice that this also means that the original topic is over, IMO.  ;)

dk70

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2005, 03:49:38 PM »
May be an idea if people PM´ed moderators instead of posting whatever? Optional to read so feel free to skip to other subject in other thread. Isnt that how forum works?

Not all have understood what at least the test is actually testing. Also not on this page. I didnt either, and still dont see the point of it or what is suppoes to prove. Test show nothing more than 1+1 is 2, the time it take prefetch to rebuild a pf-file or xraying and scribble down notes during load of ie. Firefox. The increase is natural and cant be avoided.

Test scenario is just wrong. Until the newly created pf-file is deleted once again you cant reproduce in any way. Loading time will be the same as if CCleaner was never on hd. Also you assume last access date cannot be used or CCleaner would never have deleted anything. Hmm possible but then you can imagine many bad things in this world. Try CCleaner registry feature, I dont use it but am sure you can find flaws in there. Much more critical than this. Program also allow you to put in your own defined folders, what if you pick the wrong one? Naturally such a program must be used as intended.

Think warning against this is blown way out of proportion.

Mastertech

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2005, 03:53:39 PM »
I really don't think people understand how prefetching works. Comments such as you don't notice a difference are not test results. Try timing it.

The loading time is from NOT prefetching, it has nothing to do with building the .PF file.

All CCleaner does is delete the prefetch file? Don't you understand. So manually deleting it is the same exact thing.

Have you tried timing it?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 03:55:48 PM by Mastertech »

dk70

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2005, 04:28:44 PM »
If CCleaner does more than deleting files I must admit Im completely lost. We need many more pages Moderator. Also the only way I can understand any noticable increase in loading time will be the ONE time prefetch is rebuilding. The same way some say boot time actually increase with prefetch enabled. Time used come back later due to optimzations.

Seems to me you think CCleaner disable prefetch or is suggesting that way is better because of the few mbs saved on hd? Ive never seen such a claim from maker. What I see is a little optional maintaince feature for those programs not accessed in 2 weeks or more, what else is there? All "damage" CCleaner can do is to force enabled prefetch to rebuild again if program is run so much it is considered prefetchable - so ? Not like that is going to happen often is it?

As I said I dont notice any difference so kinda pointless to time and reboot. Without having any idea of loading time I will without any test results believe making pf-file increases. I think we do something else. You will now give your test results, with as many details of setup as possible. No references to other websites or other story - numbers and details please. There are many people here listning so we can do a mass reproduction later  8) If it fails consider yourself unique...