Author Topic: CCleaner Cripples Application Load Times  (Read 118878 times)

Tipton

Re: CCleaner Cripples Application Load Times
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2005, 07:17:30 PM »
I was curious so I ran a little test. I set my system ahead 14 days, and ran the analyze button in CCleaner. Seems CCleaner will clean anything in the prefetch if it has not been accessed in 14 days, including items you routinely use. (see screeny) The items I show only appear after setting my system ahead. So if you are on vacation for a few weeks, come back and run CCleaner, it will most likely empty your entire prefetch folder.

Tipton

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2005, 07:25:49 PM »
So if you are on vacation for a few weeks, come back and run CCleaner, it will most likely empty your entire prefetch folder.
Not entirely correct, when you boot after your holiday elements of pre-fetch will be updated. So not everything will be deleted.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gene J

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2005, 09:59:44 AM »
I went into the registry a year or so ago and disabled prefetch. I have not missed it at all. If it does speed up loading it is minimal. I disabled prefetch in an effort to keep my HDD as clean as possible. It appears we are all making much ado about nothing here.

Mastertech

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2005, 06:51:24 AM »
The cleaning of OLD PREFETCH FILES is NOT a DEFAULT setting in CCLEANER.
As I said earlier, you have to check the box, and enable it. After what I've learnt in this thread I won't be "Checking the box" , which as a USER I CHOOSE to do.
Enough about Prefetch for goodness sake Mastertech
The whole point is that it should not be there in the first place and does nothing but slow down application load times.

I went into the registry a year or so ago and disabled prefetch. I have not missed it at all. If it does speed up loading it is minimal. I disabled prefetch in an effort to keep my HDD as clean as possible. It appears we are all making much ado about nothing here.

You have obviously never tested it nor understand how prefetching works. Why would you want to slow down boot and application load times? As clean as possible? LMAO? How?

Mastertech

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2005, 06:55:02 AM »
Not entirely correct, when you boot after your holiday elements of pre-fetch will be updated. So not everything will be deleted.
Only the boot prefetch file will be updated. Everything else will be deleted.

chaos_defined

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2005, 11:14:09 PM »
Pretty sure this han't been posted here yet.
http://www.populartechnology.net/
Recently CCleaner has added an internet urban legend as a cleaning option, "Old Prefetch Data". Cleaning the Prefetch folder is an internet Myth that simply will not die due to the gross ignorance of many people in regards to how Windows XP Prefetching works. These same people generally recommend other bogus advice such as disabling Windows Prefetching completely and adding /Prefetch:1 to desktop shortcuts.
"Bottom line: You will NOT improve Windows performance by cleaning out the Prefetch folder. You will, in fact, degrade Windows performance by cleaning out the Prefetch folder."
CCleaner for the most part is a good application, it quickly and easily removes temporary and unused files from Windows. It has a nice interface that clearly shows what has been "cleaned". On neglected systems this can free hundreds of Megabytes of harddisk space. Apparently in the authors quest to clean everything and anything, he blindly ignored how Prefetching works.
SOURCE
I don't know that I agree that cleaning Prefetch Folder once a month is wrong ??? In fact on this very Forum I've read that It's not a bad thing. I do it ! What's your opinions Evangelist's ?

I am an avid cleaner of Prefetch and it does work. I notice instant change in the performance of my machine. I also run reg scrub, win washer, boot vis, and diskeeper.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2005, 11:39:25 PM »
chaos_defined welcome to best forums around...

Please, if it's not too much of a hasle for you, resize your avatar because it's little too big...

See forum policy (button up there):
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=6339.0

Quote:

To all users:
- do not use large pictures in signatures or avatars (mind other users who might have weaker connection and smaller display resolution)

Thanks in advance !

« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 11:50:31 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

darth.mikey

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2005, 12:14:36 AM »
Avatar size of 100x100 is ideal i believe  ;)

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2005, 12:18:41 AM »
lol , talk about big that is funny

tim ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2005, 12:22:32 AM »
It's not funny, because no matter which resolution  you use, you still can see our avatars, right ? If an avatar is too wide like that one up there, all posts  are shifted to far right and people using lower rezolutions will not be able to see the board without constant scrolling left and right...  ;)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2005, 12:24:49 AM »
lol , that's right
while i was reading ur reply
i was scolling left and right
while reading the part that said about scrolling left and right ;)
this is an edit to this reply:
lol... chaos has begun :o

tim ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 12:30:07 AM by Yinyang4evry1 »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2005, 12:28:18 AM »
lol !  ;D  ;D  ;D

Mastertech

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2005, 12:40:11 AM »
I am an avid cleaner of Prefetch and it does work. I notice instant change in the performance of my machine. I also run reg scrub, win washer, boot vis, and diskeeper.
No it does not improve performance. Try timing it:

Testing
Make sure the Task Scheduler service is set to automatic. Launch an application like Firefox three times. Reboot and make sure there is a FIREFOX.EXE-XXXXXXXX.pf file in the C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch folder. If there is, launch Firefox and time it. Then delete the .pf file, reboot, relaunch Firefox and time it again. You will now see Firefox take a significantly longer time to load. Now imagine this on any other application, then imagine doing this deliberately every two weeks? Why? To save a tiny bit of HD space? It makes no sense. 128 .pf files take up maybe 5 MB of disk space.

Cleaning the folder only hurts performance. The reason people think it improves performance is because they do not understand how it works. Please explain how you think it works.

darth.mikey

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2005, 12:41:19 AM »
lol , that's right
while i was reading ur reply
i was scolling left and right
while reading the part that said about scrolling left and right ;)
this is an edit to this reply:
lol... chaos has begun :o

tim ;)

LOL Tim  ;D
This is very interesting i wonder why i see it this way(It doesn't move the posts for me)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2005, 12:43:38 AM »
Sometimes it's like that and sometimes it's the way Tim mentioned... I have no clue why, but it looks like forum engine is doing that...