Author Topic: Disable Avast "Store" tab  (Read 14950 times)

REDACTED

Disable Avast "Store" tab
« on: March 07, 2015, 05:10:23 PM »
So I have about 2 yrs left of my IS subscription and I keep seeing this store tab. I had it disabled and now upon reformat, I cannot disable this feature on fresh install.

Does the new version have the disable feature removed?

REDACTED

Re: Disable Avast "Store" tab
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 05:31:56 PM »
yes

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »
Any registry edits I can do to remove this?

I don't think paid subscriptions should be forced to have a tab full of advertisement of the company's product.

If I cannot, I will not be renewing my subscription. This program is going downhill each update. Between bloat-ware and customization removal, this program is becoming shit.

I am so close to going MSE route.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 05:53:54 PM »
1) MSE is sh*t... even MS has said MSE is sh*t.

2) With any installation you are doing for any program you should be choosing custom install anyway so what's the difference?  No bloat if you just don't install it.

3) Just don't click the store tab... I forget it's even there unless someone says something.  Ignore it. 

Seriously I don't know how old you are and Im not too old, but Ive certainly trained myself over the years to tune out all advertising... everywhere... all day... every day lol.  The only thing that might ever get me is a taco bell commercial late at night but that's just cause I love to eat.  Train yourself to block out ads, man... they're everywhere and only gonna get worse.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »
If this was free, I would.

However, I have a 3 year paid subscription.

That said, Avast is not what they use to be. Their software is becoming bloatware. I remember how grimfighter causes lots of complaints way back then. Yet they did nothing about it.

W/e.

@Avast, got a registry hack? If not, you lost me as a customer. You can even flag my account and check once my subscription expires that I was true to my word.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 02:54:50 AM »
If this was free, I would.

However, I have a 3 year paid subscription.

That said, Avast is not what they use to be. Their software is becoming bloatware. I remember how grimfighter causes lots of complaints way back then. Yet they did nothing about it.

W/e.

@Avast, got a registry hack? If not, you lost me as a customer. You can even flag my account and check once my subscription expires that I was true to my word.

Nice advice, only problem is, what works for you might not work for someone else. We are all different you know.  ;)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 03:16:39 AM »
Any registry edits I can do to remove this?

I don't think paid subscriptions should be forced to have a tab full of advertisement of the company's product.

If I cannot, I will not be renewing my subscription. This program is going downhill each update. Between bloat-ware and customization removal, this program is becoming shit.

I am so close to going MSE route.

Don't go with MSE, go with Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition, NO ADS OF ANY KIND and works great and has an excellent rating.

As you can see here PCmag.com has ranked it second best overall for all AV programs at The Best Antivirus for 2015 website, which is as current as you can get.

Btw, here is a simple ON-LINE  QUICK SCAN provided by Bitdefender.

If Avast doesn't start cleaning up their act I'm likely going to try out the FREE version of Bitdefender.

That said, after 20+ years with Avast I'd MUCH RATHER STAY WITH AVAST!!!!!

But of course that's up to Avast.  I'm certainly NOT going to continue and put up with POPUP ads about stuff I'm already aware of and not interested in at the moment and I'm certainly not going to upgrade to Avast2015 with that "Store" tab on display (that is simply ridiculous).

I'll stay with Avast if the POPUPS GET UNDER CONTROL (not at least one and maybe even as many as more than 5 a day at times) and IF they get smart and allow the user to at least disable (remove) the "Store" tab.  Why in the world do moderately sophisticated users need a tab like THAT anyway?
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 03:26:01 AM »
bitdefender has zero configuration and no gui... good results but the program itself lacks in many ways.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 03:41:48 AM »
bitdefender has zero configuration and no gui... good results but the program itself lacks in many ways.

Thanks for the tip, I HOPE I DON'T HAVE TO FIND OUT FOR MYSELF as long as Avast would not continue on this obtrusive path they are on trying to generate revenue at the expense of their loyal users.

I'm assuming you have you used   Bitdefender Antivirus Free ?  (if you haven't check out the link in regards to what I've posted below)

I haven't used it (since I'm a very long-time Avast user as you know, 20+ years, before that Mcafee and Norton), but that said if you check out the link above you find the following which looks pretty good to me, see outline from link below which is an overview that would suggest some level of GUI (and as you probably know Bitdefender has registered perfect marks for protection and performance in tests approaching 100% detection rate as I understand it):

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Key Features:

Real-time Shield - The real time shield is designed to protect your entire system from infected files coming from the outside, before they have a chance to     spread inside your PC.

Active Virus Control - Proactive technology that quickly and accurately detects potential threats, even in cases of new viruses for which there is no default protection released yet.

Intrusion Detection System - Ensures that applications trying to access the Internet or the network are not masked malware. Intrusion Detection is automatically alerted when such apps behave in a suspect manner, and blocks them when they go over the limit.

B-Have - Proactively detects unknown threats that other products miss, by analyzing how apps behave in a safe environment. If no malicious actions are detected, B-Have starts the program normally. Otherwise, it will automatically quarantine or delete it.

HTTP Scanning - Protects you from scams such as credit card phishing attempts, Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition scans all the links you access from your browser and blocks them when they prove to be unsafe.

Anti-rootkit - Rootkits are a type of stealth software, often malicious, that can help hackers get control of your computer. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition uses special technology that detects and blocks such malicious software.

Early Boot Scanning - This technology scans the system at boot time, as soon as all critical services are loaded. Early boot scanning ensures virus detection at system startup, while also improving boot time.

Auto Scan - A huge time and resource saver, Auto Scan is a Bitdefender proprietary technology that focuses virus detection efforts on risky areas.

Overview:

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition has been engineered to enable you to enjoy your computer to the max, without having to worry about viruses and other e-threats.

Called "artificial intelligence" because it will always find the best way for your system to stay clear of dangers without requiring special configuring. And, more importantly, without slowing down your system.

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition shares some of the revolutionary technologies that allowed their main product line to outpass major competitors such as AVG, Avast or Avira.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 05:44:08 AM »
Knock yourself out.  Ive tried them all.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 04:22:35 PM »
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition shares some of the revolutionary technologies that allowed their main product line to outpass major competitors such as AVG, Avast or Avira.
Excellent double talk. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 05:05:21 PM »
...That said, after 20+ years with Avast I'd MUCH RATHER STAY WITH AVAST!!!!!

... Thanks for the tip, I HOPE I DON'T HAVE TO FIND OUT FOR MYSELF as long as Avast would not continue on this obtrusive path they are on trying to generate revenue at the expense of their loyal users....

... I'm assuming you have you used   Bitdefender Antivirus Free ?  (if you haven't check out the link in regards to what I've posted below)

Really ?

I would not change Avast just because it got a Store Tab in its UI or that it gives a couple of popups advertising promotions to better your security, but if you think, it deserves to be changed for another AV because of these points, be my guest, try another AV. It is your computer anyways, but do not bash Avast and then use bitdefender promotion site to advertise another AV here.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:22:08 PM by iroc9555 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 06:08:14 PM »
Strangely enough I haven't got a Store Tab, I can remember it from a long time ago and at that point there was an option to disable it, which I did. I don't believe this is held in the registry, more likely it is in the various avast .ini files, probably avast5.ini - But looking in mine I don't see anything obvious.

My program updates in avast I have done either by over installation or update from the UI and my settings have been honoured/preserved - so no Store Tab.

Even if it were there, I don't live in the UI, even more so for the most part I only go to the UI in response to topics/posts in these forums and then mainly to do screen captures.

So if it were there I doubt I would notice it - in the free version there is an Ad in the bottom third of the main UI page and I really have learned to tune that out - unless it was something I was interested in.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 06:18:51 PM »
Yeah...

In older versions, you were able to disable the store tab using the settings.

I'm currently using Internet Security and I have the store tab.

I'd like that setting to come back to disable the store back as it was in previous versions.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 06:59:39 PM »
I personally don't care one way or the other since I hardly ever use the UI except
to post a screenshot from various parts to help someone else. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet