Author Topic: 2 avastUI.exe processes running?  (Read 13264 times)

REDACTED

2 avastUI.exe processes running?
« on: March 07, 2015, 10:30:36 PM »
Hello everyone, I have been using avast for quite a few months now and it has never disappointed me but just a few days ago i noticed that I had 2 avastUI.exe processes on startup and whenever I open avast user interface it turns into 4 processes! This never happened before so if anyone knows what's happening it would be much appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 2 avastUI.exe processes running?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:49:48 PM »
Two avastUI.exe entries in Task Manager - Comment from avast team member.
The first AvastUI.exe instance is main GUI application, the second instance is for displaying web-content inside GUI (main page) or for popups with web content.

Some have found that when clicking other options within the secondary avast window which downloads other on-line date results in another avastUI.exe. Clo=sing these windows results in dropping down to the two instances that you see.

Interestingly on XP Pro OS you only see 1 instance of avastUI.exe, isn't progress wonderful ;D

However, if you open a window from the avastUI, then I get the second avastUI.exe. If you open the account section in the avastUI, then I get two avastUI.exe entries presumably because it is getting data from more than one location.

At the moment I can't test further as I got a 502 bad gateway error displayed - but that then dropped one instance of avastUI.exe. Going back to the main UI drops it back down to one instance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline wizzlbang

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:56:42 PM »
Getting the exact same thing, popped up after the update, don't have any avast windows open, but two avastUI.exe are running.

Screencapped and included the command lines for good measure.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:09:33 PM »
I just updated avast few minutes ago and now I have two AvastUI.exes running at all times. I know this might be nothing but it bothers me when I open Task Manager

In my case, both AvastUI.exes have same path which is C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe

edit: Upper one's memory goes back and fourth when I fiddle with Avast but lower one just stays at 7336kt. I tried to end lower Avast Process because it just stays there but I get some kind of access denied error and I'm unable to end that process.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:50:22 PM by xeroforc3 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 06:15:37 PM »
The paths should give you more, such as the switches after the file as it is the same file being run twice to do different tasks.

You can't remove it because the avast self defence module will try to protect it - you could disable the self defence module - but then you are inadvertently stopping the functions covered by that particular process.

God forbid you look at the task manager for for your browser processes, depending on browser they will have multiple instances of the file. Or even good old svchost.exe six instances of that on my task manager.

In all honesty what you gain of you were able to stop the one instance of avastUI.exe 7MB of RAM, a drop in the ocean in todays multi GB of RAM, with the probability of experiencing issues or errors if it isn't running.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:33:13 PM »
I know there can be multiple files, it's just that I'm used to having just one AvastUI.exe running and I also have a some sort combination of virus fear + OCD so I'm checking my Task Manager processes for unknown processes and viruses. I'm always relieved that it stays the same but now that there is two AvastUI's running just bothers me to some extent

I just want to know if everyone else has this too? Is it just me? Could there be something wrong with my system?

Sorry, I'm just worried over trivial and minor things. I just can't help it

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 06:38:04 PM »
I know there can be multiple files, it's just that I'm used to having just one AvastUI.exe running and I also have a some sort combination of virus fear + OCD so I'm checking my Task Manager processes for unknown processes and viruses. I'm always relieved that it stays the same but now that there is two AvastUI's running just bothers me to some extent

I just want to know if everyone else has this too? Is it just me? Could there be something wrong with my system?

Every person that uses the current version of Avast has the same thing as you. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 06:45:06 PM »

Hopefully this will put your mind at rest.

-- Two avastUI.exe entries in Task Manager - Comment from avast team member.
The first AvastUI.exe instance is main GUI application, the second instance is for displaying web-content inside GUI (main page) or for popups with web content.

Different OSes may well be different.
On my winXP Pro initially you only have one instance of avastUI.exe, but as soon as you open the UI and click on any area that loads another window and or downloads internet content, then you then have two instances of it.

But as I close those external windows or close the UI I drop back to one instance of avastUI.exe.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 07:36:23 PM »
Every person that uses the current version of Avast has the same thing as you. :)

Yes, this puts my mind a bit more at ease. Thank you :)

I used to get another AvastUI.exe when I opened Avast UI but now there seems to be two of them running at all times.
But as bob3160 said that currently everyone with latest version has two AvastUI.exes running at all times I should be okay with it.
I get really anxious and nervous when things change can't help it :D
I just have to get used to it :)

Thank you both for your replies. They're really helpful to me :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 08:34:27 PM »
You're welcome.

Offline wizzlbang

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 06:42:40 AM »
As of 2015.10.2.2215 now only one avast UI is running, is that suppose to happen?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 11:48:58 AM »
As of 2015.10.2.2215 now only one avast UI is running, is that suppose to happen?

That appears to be the case.

That said, when you open the UI, if it opens another window as in the Statistics window or it downloads data to populate a section of the UI (Account, etc.) then you would see another avastUI.exe instance until that is closed.