Author Topic: dns server isnt responding  (Read 3806 times)

REDACTED

dns server isnt responding
« on: March 10, 2015, 05:43:34 AM »
i installed the latest free version of avast, and at first everything was fine, but after a couple of days i kept getting the message that the dns server wasnt responding, and none of the pages would load when i went online. i have another laptop and that went online fine, and ive not had a problem using avast on that one. i tried setting the server address manually and that ddnt work either. i have no idea where to go in the avast interface to fix any of the settings that may be causing this. it was only by uninstalling avast that i was able to go online again.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: dns server isnt responding
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 07:20:04 AM »
You might want to look here:  How to Flush Windows DNS Cache
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »
There's some kind of problem with DNS... I've been getting them for a couple of months now.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166031.msg1182590#msg1182590

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 05:07:28 PM »
Have you tried flushing your DNS as suggested previously?

Clearing the DNS Cache can often fix internet connection problems.

What OS are you using?

As you might know DNS clients will typically cache IP Addresses along with other DNS results for most OS which is done to speed up subsequent requests to the same hostname. Sometimes the DNS cache can become corrupted hence it is sometimes helpful to clear the cache in order to communicate with the host correctly. All major OS allow you to force this process.

Outlined below are the steps to follow in order to flush your DNS cache in windows OS.

Windows 98/NT/2000/XP Flush DNS steps to clear your DNS cache:
1) Open up a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd.exe > OK).
2) Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

Windows Vista / Windows 7 Flush DNS Due to MS security you must run the command prompt with administrator privileges.
1) Click the start button and navigate to the command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)
2) Make sure that you right click on the command prompt application and choose "Run as Administrator"
3) Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 Flush DNS Once again you must ensure that you run the command prompt as an administrator user.
1) Make sure that you're on the Windows 8 Start Screen.
2) Type cmd which will cause the Windows search bar will appear on the right hand side with search results.
3) Right click on Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.
4) Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

If you're not using Windows then post back.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.