Author Topic: Turning off Avast! (Free) Firewall  (Read 2963 times)

REDACTED

Turning off Avast! (Free) Firewall
« on: March 09, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »
I am trying to use a Kodak Digital Photo Frame 'connected' wirelessly to a Windows XP3S computer. The Kodak software has informed me that the connection is being impeded by the Avast! Firewall.  Can someone tell me if the Firewall can be turned off temporarily, and if so how to do it?

clayto

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Turning off Avast! (Free) Firewall
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 07:18:58 PM »
  Turning off Avast! (Free) Firewall     
avast free dont have a firewall     ;)      if you see one then you dont have avast free

Avast FAQ   https://www.avast.com/faq.php

Firewall    https://www.avast.com/faq.php?q=firewall#searchForm
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:21:49 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 07:27:27 PM »
I don't ''see' a Firewall, I see a report on my XP computer (not the one I am using now) that says the Avast! Firewall is causing a problem!  It is the Free edition.  What is the explanation for that?  I will have to check on my WXP later.

clayto

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:11:15 PM »
Have you got a screen shot of the Kodak software, if so can you attach it to your next post and also the report on your XP Computer that you mentioned.

What firewall do you have installed on the XP computer ?
I suspect only the windows firewall.

I rather suspect that the Kodak software is incorrectly reporting avast having a firewall, because it experiences a problem that it assumes is a firewall blocking/impeding.

Whilst there is a possibility that avast could be blocking it - that would normally come in the form of an avast alert window, presumably you haven't had any avast alert/message window ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 06:21:19 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  However, things are getting a bit confusing. My Windows Firewall is disabled --- my Avast! clearly says it has a Firewall and presents me with various options for it.  I have found where to turn it on or off, which answers my original question.  What I do not know is the status of my 'subscription' ---I cannot find anywhere that tells me what level of protection I have. I would have thought the Account page would have information on this, but it appears not to.  I thought it was the minimum, Free Edition, and have no recollection of paying for it --- and am surprised if I did, for reasons I wont go into now apart from the fact that Avast! offers well recommended free program .

I have a licence running from January 2015. If I interpret it correctly one page says I have a licence for one device which as far as I am concerned is correct, it is my 'old computer' a Windows XP, still working but not very well, very sluggish and prone to freezing.  My 'main computer' is a new Windows 8.1 Tablet which I am using at the moment and which has a different malware program (the full works) .  But other pages on the Avast! website sayI do not have any devices registered and keep prompting me to download a program I already have, and 'register my first device.'

So I am not sure exactly where I stand.  What I need to know now is (a) what version of Avast! I have  (b) do I need to re-register my XP computer (c) what are the implications of turning off the Avast! Firewall for, say, 15 minutes while I transfer some photos to the Digital Frame?

clayto

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 07:21:07 PM »
If avast clearly says it has a firewall then you aren't using the avast free version, this is certainly confusing.

It is only on the avast Internet Security and avast Premier, see image.

If you open the avastUI the home page of that shows what version you have.

Firstly I don't use the avast Firewall so I'm not familiar with the names of the various settings. The avast firewall has a number of settings, to protect depending on where you use the computer - If you set it to Private and enable file sharing, etc. that I believe would allow your home wifi network connection.

EDIT: see the image in this post, https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=167636.msg1192507#msg1192507.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:23:33 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security