Author Topic: Tried everything posted, and I still can not uninstall avast.  (Read 12284 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Tried everything posted, and I still can not uninstall avast.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 10:15:47 PM »
Are you able to access Avast settings ?

If so then select settings > troubleshooting > disable self protection

Then reboot to safe mode and run the following fix

CAUTION :  This fix is only valid for this specific machine, using it on another may break your computer

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

CreateRestorePoint:
HKLM\...\Run: [avast] => C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe [4858968 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
S2 avast! Antivirus; C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe [46808 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R2 aswFsBlk; C:\windows\system32\Drivers\aswFsBlk.sys [29816 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R2 aswMonFlt; C:\windows\system32\drivers\aswMonFlt.sys [66336 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R1 aswRdr; C:\windows\System32\Drivers\aswrdr2.sys [61680 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R0 aswRvrt; C:\windows\system32\Drivers\aswRvrt.sys [49376 2013-05-09] ()
R1 aswSnx; C:\windows\system32\Drivers\aswSnx.sys [765736 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R1 aswSP; C:\windows\system32\Drivers\aswSP.sys [368944 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R1 aswTdi; C:\windows\system32\Drivers\aswTdi.sys [56080 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R0 aswVmm; C:\windows\system32\Drivers\aswVmm.sys [174664 2013-05-09] ()
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software
EmptyTemp:
CMD: bitsadmin /reset /allusers

Save this as fixlist.txt, in the same location as FRST.exe

Run FRST and press Fix
On completion a log will be generated please post that

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 10:28:28 PM »
Thank you, I was able to access settings.   Completed steps, here is the log.

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Tool (FRST written by Farbar) (x86) Version: 08-03-2015 03
Ran by zachary at 2015-03-08 17:22:51 Run:3
Running from C:\Users\zachary\Downloads
Loaded Profiles: zachary (Available profiles: zachary)
Boot Mode: Safe Mode (minimal)

==============================================

Content of fixlist:
CreateRestorePoint:
HKLM\...\Run: [avast] => C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe [4858968 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
S2 avast! Antivirus; C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe [46808 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R2 aswFsBlk; C:\windows\system32\Drivers\aswFsBlk.sys [29816 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R2 aswMonFlt; C:\windows\system32\drivers\aswMonFlt.sys [66336 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R1 aswRdr; C:\windows\System32\Drivers\aswrdr2.sys [61680 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R0 aswRvrt; C:\windows\system32\Drivers\aswRvrt.sys [49376 2013-05-09] ()
R1 aswSnx; C:\windows\system32\Drivers\aswSnx.sys [765736 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R1 aswSP; C:\windows\system32\Drivers\aswSP.sys [368944 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R1 aswTdi; C:\windows\system32\Drivers\aswTdi.sys [56080 2013-05-09] (AVAST Software)
R0 aswVmm; C:\windows\system32\Drivers\aswVmm.sys [174664 2013-05-09] ()
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software
EmptyTemp:
CMD: bitsadmin /reset /allusers

Error: Restore point can only be created in normal mode.
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\avast => value deleted successfully.
avast! Antivirus => Service deleted successfully.
aswFsBlk => Service deleted successfully.
aswMonFlt => Service deleted successfully.
aswRdr => Service deleted successfully.
aswRvrt => Service deleted successfully.
aswSnx => Service deleted successfully.
aswSP => Service deleted successfully.
aswTdi => Service deleted successfully.
aswVmm => Service deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software => Moved successfully.

=========  bitsadmin /reset /allusers =========

BITSADMIN version 3.0 [ 7.5.7601 ]
BITS administration utility.
(C) Copyright 2000-2006 Microsoft Corp.

BITSAdmin is deprecated and is not guaranteed to be available in future versions of Windows.
Administrative tools for the BITS service are now provided by BITS PowerShell cmdlets.

Unable to connect to BITS - 0x8007042c
The dependency service or group failed to start.

========= End of CMD: =========

EmptyTemp: => Removed 11.5 MB temporary data.

The system needed a reboot.

==== End of Fixlog 17:22:58 ====

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 10:41:35 PM »
OMG, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I am not sure if it was the fixlist that you had me create, or if it was disabling the self protection, but this worked!!  This Avast code 0x3 was giving me so much trouble.  Thank you so much for the help!!!!

This fix worked like a charm!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 11:14:30 PM »
OK if you are going to re-install first thing to do now is run the uninstall utility and then install

Once done let me know how the computer is behaving

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 11:21:12 PM »
It's all done, and reinstalled without any issues, no unusual behavior.  :-)  Thank you so much!!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 11:29:31 PM »
Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Remove Combofix

Click  Start  then Run.
On Windows7 or Vista  you may use  Start Search  field if  Run  is not available.
In the box copy/paste the following command:

ComboFix  /Uninstall

Note that there is a space between "  ComboFix  " and "  /Uninstall  " .

Then click  OK  (or press  Enter ).
Wait for the uninstall process to complete.

Remove tools

Download and run Delfix

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article

I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

If you do need to keep Java then download JavaRa
Run the programme and select  Remove Java Runtime.  Uninstall all versions of Java present
Once done then run it again and select Update Java runtime > Download and install Latest version

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Unchecky

Click on the link above to be taken to Unchecky.com
click the very large Download button.
click Save
Click Open folder
Right click on the Unchecky_setup and choose to Run as Administrator
Once open click the Install button.
Then click on Finish
Unchecky is now installed and will help you keep unwanted check boxes unchecked, this is a fire and forget programme  ;)

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide  Best security practices Keep safe  :wave:

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 02:44:16 AM »
Hi essexboy, your last post is recommending to either uninstall or the very minimum disable Java.

Java is not supposed to be a problem if running "NoScript" in Firefox browser.

FAQ LINK

Q:   Have I got to disable JavaScript from Firefox options to browse safely with NoScript?
A:   You must not disable JavaScript in Firefox! NoScript will allow/forbid scripts, but they have to be kept enabled by default, as it almost always is. On Firefox 24 or above this is an hidden about:config preference (javascript.enabled) which must preserve its default true value. On older Firefox versions only (23 or below) you may want to check that Tools|Options|Content|Enable JavaScript* option is still checked (JavaScript enabled), otherwise JavaScript is disabled everywhere even if allowed by NoScript.
*Under Preferences on Mac OS X, Edit|Preferences on Linux.

Are you familiar with NoScript for Firefox, to LINK for ADD-ON?

The NoScript Firefox extension provides extra protection for Firefox, Seamonkey and other mozilla-based browsers: this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, Java, Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choice (e.g. your online bank).

Have any opinions either way regarding this?

Welcome any feedback or alternative views as I'm assuming NoScript knows what their doing.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 01:44:21 PM »
Hi essexboy, your last post is recommending to either uninstall or the very minimum disable Java.

Java is not supposed to be a problem if running "NoScript" in Firefox browser.

FAQ LINK

Q:   Have I got to disable JavaScript from Firefox options to browse safely with NoScript?
A:   You must not disable JavaScript in Firefox! NoScript will allow/forbid scripts, but they have to be kept enabled by default, as it almost always is. On Firefox 24 or above this is an hidden about:config preference (javascript.enabled) which must preserve its default true value. On older Firefox versions only (23 or below) you may want to check that Tools|Options|Content|Enable JavaScript* option is still checked (JavaScript enabled), otherwise JavaScript is disabled everywhere even if allowed by NoScript.
*Under Preferences on Mac OS X, Edit|Preferences on Linux.

Are you familiar with NoScript for Firefox, to LINK for ADD-ON?

The NoScript Firefox extension provides extra protection for Firefox, Seamonkey and other mozilla-based browsers: this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, Java, Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choice (e.g. your online bank).

Have any opinions either way regarding this?

Welcome any feedback or alternative views as I'm assuming NoScript knows what their doing.
No script does nothing to make Java any safer. It simply blocks Java and gives you the opportunity to either allow or continue to block it from executing.
In essence, it puts the responsibility of running Javas in your hands. It doesn't analyze the code simply blocks it.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 01:53:24 PM »
A default install of current Java Runtime Editions will have the Java plug-in disabled in all browsers.  It's not hard to enable, but requires the extra step.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 03:57:26 PM »
I do not use FF or Chrome and probably never will do.  I like my browser to be up and running with nothing to add on

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
Sun Java RTE is not the same as java script.  Two entirely separate things.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 07:03:44 PM »
Sun Java RTE is not the same as java script.  Two entirely separate things.

I'm not sure of the context of your post, most of those responding in this topic will be aware of that.

If it relates comments to use NoScript - then it not only blocks javascript but also JAVA. - not to mention a slew of other options.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security