Author Topic: Avast Free Mac Security Web Shield Blocking HTTPS Sites on ou.edu Domain  (Read 2622 times)

REDACTED

I have installed Avast Free Mac Security onto my laptop, and I noticed that Web Shield blocks sites using HTTPS on the ou.edu domain. This issue appears to only occur on the Mac client, with us unable to replicate it with the Windows client. Sites affected include learn.ou.edu, account.ou.edu, and ozone.ou.edu, among others. While whitelisting the specific servers or disabling Web Shield would work, I was wondering if this issue could be fixed on Avast's end. Also, is there a workaround that will allow us to unblock the entire *.ou.edu domain, or will we have to continue unblocking sites individually? Lastly, where might the log files be located for the Web Shield?

If there is any other piece of information that you need from us, please let me know and I'll be happy to provide it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:56:58 PM by nickpeoples »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Hi,
The ou.edu server apparently can not handle SSL requests correctly. The Avast web shield
is using OpenSSL (1.0.1) for the HTTPS requests equivalent to the following s_client command:
Code: [Select]
openssl s_client -connect www.ou.edu:443 -servername www.ou.edu -no_ssl3which also fails.

All Avast components use syslog for logging so you can find the webshield log entries in your system
log file.