Author Topic: Auto Update Dealy at Startup?  (Read 9756 times)

Arnb

Auto Update Dealy at Startup?
« on: November 07, 2003, 03:25:19 PM »
Using Avast Home on a always on cable connection, with auto virus DB update; Avast did an update during system startup. It worked, eventually, startup was very very slow making me wonder what had taken over my system.  

Anyway  to adjust  AVAST to hold off checking for updates for a few minutes after it initially starts?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Auto Update Dealy at Startup?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 08:47:02 PM »
First of all, could you please list the programs you have at startup folder or Registry?

To delay the start of avast! update - which I do not think is causing the trouble anyway  ;D - you could use NetRun.

Links for these applications could be found here
at Startup Control Tools and Internet Tools sections  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Arnb

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2003, 03:11:52 AM »
Having difficulty getting a list of startup items, none of the registry tools on my system let me copy the items in the list.

Did not mean to imply Avast has a problem, normally it starts up very quickly. This was a one time situation I could easily prevent by setting the Virus DB update to manual or ask when available, however I prefer the autoupdate function, just  prefer it did not occur during startup.

Looked at NetRun, don't feel it will help with this situation because I always have an internet connection, including startup. (BTW I'm running Win 98). Quote from NetRun site: "NetRun will 'RUN' a 'List' of programs only when a internet connection is detected..."

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 11:56:01 AM »
Having difficulty getting a list of startup items, none of the registry tools on my system let me copy the items in the list.

Did not mean to imply Avast has a problem, normally it starts up very quickly. This was a one time situation I could easily prevent by setting the Virus DB update to manual or ask when available, however I prefer the autoupdate function, just  prefer it did not occur during startup.

Looked at NetRun, don't feel it will help with this situation because I always have an internet connection, including startup. (BTW I'm running Win 98). Quote from NetRun site: "NetRun will 'RUN' a 'List' of programs only when a internet connection is detected..."

I know that NetRun detects the connection state. But you have two time settings to choose:

1. Using Startup Delayer you can set how many seconds after the boot the application NetRun will start.

2. Into NetRun you can do the same for the avast! update (formely C:\Program files\... avast folder ...\aswUpdSv.exe).

Even with a permanent connection you will delay the update.

For the list of autostart, if you cannot export to a file, maybe, if you want, just copy the itens manually (name and path) and post it here for our annalysis.

Good luck.  ;)

Arnb

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2003, 03:49:33 PM »
Ok here's a hand generated list ordered from MSCONFIG,  keys taken from REGEDIT.  BTW this is a Dell Laptop.  If you need more keys let me know.  ATI stuff is the display card, Syn is pointer device.

From HKLM ....RUN
NAME                           Data Keys
Scanregistry
AtiCwd32
SynTPLpr
SynTPEnh
LoadPowerProfile
Aticwxx
Dimension4
TweakUi
StillImageMonitor
ATIPOLAB
ATIpta
OutpostFirewall       C:\PROGRAM FILES\AGNITUM\OUTPOST FIREWALL 1.0\outpost.exe /waitservice

Windows                 C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
ashMaiSrv               C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\AVAST4\ashmaisv.exe
avast!                     C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
Systray

HKLM RunServices
schedulingagent       mstask.exe
OutpostFirewall        C:\PROGRAM FILES\AGNITUM\OUTPOST FIREWALL 1.0\outpost.exe /service
avast!                      C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashserv.exe

Startup Folder
eDexter

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2003, 07:21:35 PM »
For me, your StartUp itens seem ok...

avast! team must say something about this...  ::)

Just a guess, if you set in avast! that you are using a dial-up and not a permanent connection, will avast! work?  :-\

Arnb

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2003, 09:43:24 PM »
Seem to work

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 03:15:18 PM »
Seem to work

So, avast will be updated every 4 hours (default value for dial-up connections)  ;)

Arnb

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 03:25:49 PM »
I'm a bit confused here. Will that have my desired effect (delay at startup) if the system is connected when Avast starts?

Do you know how often it checks with an always on connection?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2003, 03:37:44 PM »
I'm a bit confused here. Will that have my desired effect (delay at startup) if the system is connected when Avast starts?
Maybe yes, maybe not, depends on your system, I mean, how fast does the permanent connection is 'activated' (drivers loaded, etc.). I know this does not solve your trouble and avast! team must say something (perhaps in the new program update) but if your system works, can you wait for this?

Do you know how often it checks with an always on connection?

I'm not sure. Maybe the 4 hours as with dial-up. Pavel could say you something about.

See you round.  ;)

Arnb

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2003, 03:51:38 PM »
Yes I could wait, it's a minor issue occurring very infrequently.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2003, 10:20:30 PM »
Yes I could wait, it's a minor issue occurring very infrequently.

Thanks, could you post if you find another 'solution'?
Wellcome to avast! foruns...  ;)