Author Topic: [HELP] .sav file in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\ng\NgBase\Snapshots  (Read 9308 times)

REDACTED

i am not sure what it is, it taking too much space on my computer should i delete it? or what should i do about it?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\ng\NgBase\Snapshots

https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB89

Avast NG is a hardware based virtualization solution to provide more isolated test space. It is capable of running each Windows process in standalone safe virtualized environment (VM) and fully integrated to your desktop. Each process is executed in its own instance of VM, which means totally isolated from your other applications. This feature now powers Avast DeepScreen to improve better scanning of unknown programs (better detections).

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
i am not sure what it is, it taking too much space on my computer should i delete it? or what should i do about it?

How big is this file?
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

REDACTED

[/quote]

How big is this file?
[/quote]

over 1 gb and its a ssd

REDACTED

Re: [HELP] .sav file in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\ng\NgBase\Snapshots
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 01:47:37 PM »
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\ng\NgBase\Snapshots

https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB89

Avast NG is a hardware based virtualization solution to provide more isolated test space. It is capable of running each Windows process in standalone safe virtualized environment (VM) and fully integrated to your desktop. Each process is executed in its own instance of VM, which means totally isolated from your other applications. This feature now powers Avast DeepScreen to improve better scanning of unknown programs (better detections).

In which product does the virtualization work or fuction (I use the free version)?
In the free version there is no sandbox option to work with or to determine to execute a file in the sandbox!
So does the free version execute peculiar executable files atomatically in the sandbox or in a virtualized space?
If this function is not available in the free version, why is it choosable in the installer options and when installed why does such a great file exist (snapshot*.dat about 1.3 GB)? Perhaps it's a feature built-in but not in action in the free version?
When I unistall the virtualization option, this great snapshot.dat-file is gone (with the ng-folder).
For a deatiled answer I'd very happy.
Best regards