Author Topic: high PING in online games!  (Read 10868 times)

DimaRoma

high PING in online games!
« on: October 04, 2005, 08:04:58 PM »
when i play online games like lineage2 or Counter strike i got very high pings..(like 300-700) and i got Avast version 4.6 . my Connection speed is 750kb.
and i think that Avast is the problem to the high ping. can i fix somehow this problem  ??? ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: high PING in online games!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 08:15:08 PM »
What indications are there that this is down to avast?
What avast providers are you running?
The only one that may cause any slowdown would be the web shield which scans http port 80 traffic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 08:16:38 PM »
Pings? From avast? Strange...
How did you configure your update settings?
How did you set NetShield?
Which firewall do you use? Opertional system?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 10:01:50 PM »
Not pings from avast! Tech, but pings initiated by the gamer to test the response between the gamers PC and the on-line game host url.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 04:09:09 AM »
Not pings from avast! Tech, but pings initiated by the gamer to test the response between the gamers PC and the on-line game host url.
And what does avast! have anything to do with this?
I install an antivirus and start to receive pings in the Internet?
C'mon... DimaRoma, avast! does not have this behavior.
The best things in life are free.

DimaRoma

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 12:50:50 PM »
All my providers are working.. should i stop one of them?

darth.mikey

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 01:34:20 PM »
The reason for high pings could be that the distance from your comp to the server is too big....I do online gaming from time to time and avast never affected my pings at least as far as i could tell on the other hand if the server is in Uzbekistan that's another thing haha  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 05:44:32 PM »
And what does avast! have anything to do with this?
Nothing, that is what I said "not pings from avast" Gamers often initiate pings to check the response of the overall connection as it can effect the playing of the game. What DimaRoma is saying is he believes that avast's scanning is slowing response times.

@ DimaRoma
Now I could be wrong here, but I think a ping doesn't use the http protocol not port 80 in which case it won't be scanned by the web shield even if it were scanned the pink is absolutely tiny so I can see that slowing it. The ping speed I also feel is irrelevant to the real world playing of the game as that content may well be scanned making the ping rate meaningless.

Sorry I now virtually nothing about on-line gaming, what protocols it uses, etc. However if it uses http port 80 then it will be scanned by the web shield, you can test this by opening the web shield provider detailed view and see if the Last Scanned and Scanned Totals change. If so it is being scanned and terminating the Web Shield may well speed up your gaming but would leave you more vulnerable whilst on-line.

darth.mikey

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 06:11:17 PM »
Every game uses a different port(surprise)...

EDIT:I just tried every game i have installed online and i can assure you avast! doesn't slow any of them down, why do you believe avast! is causing this?Also before you connect to a server it should show you how high ping you have, i still believe you're  connecting to servers which are too far away!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 06:17:38 PM by darth.mikey »