Author Topic: 0x800CCC90 Outlook errors with Avast 2015.10.2.2214  (Read 8083 times)

REDACTED

0x800CCC90 Outlook errors with Avast 2015.10.2.2214
« on: March 13, 2015, 06:45:17 PM »
(Starting new topic, after pasting from New Version topic)

After updating to 2015.10.2.2214, I receive 0x800CCC90 errors from Outlook Express, whenever I attempt to connect to the Verizon Mail Server. The problem occurs every time, and I have bypassed the problem by setting OFF the Avast Active Protection Mail Shield. Obviously, turning off the Mail Shield is not a preferred solution. This problem was not occurring for previous Avast versions. Any comments for a better solution?

I am using Outlook Express 6 with Windows XP SP3. Processor is AMD Sempron, which does not support SSE2 instructions. The mail server properties use ports 25 and 110, with the SSL connection boxes NOT checked. Avast is the free edition.

The full error message is:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot establish SSL with POP server 206.46.232.10:995, SSL_connect error 1:error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:51:28 PM by paul313 »

REDACTED

Re: 0x800CCC90 Outlook errors with Avast 2015.10.2.2214
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 09:39:16 PM »
I'm having the same problem with Outlook 2003 since updating Avast to 2015.10.2.2214.  My email error is as follows:

Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted.  If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: -ERR Cannot establish SSL with POP server **.*.**.***.***, SSL_connect error 1:error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure'

The only way I'm able to receive email is to temporarily turn off Avast's Mail Shield.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 09:48:39 PM »
Perform a clean installation of the latest avast version and check the certificate.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 02:53:10 AM »
Same problem here...

Outlook does not load the mails, followed by an error...
Cannot establish TLS with IMAP server , SSL_connect error 1:error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure Protokoll: IMAP Server: ***  Anschluss: *** Fehlercode: 0x800CCCD9

Only resolve: Switching off "MailSchutz" 
Don't tell me that reinstall or losing the "Mailschutz" are the only options to this problem.

That really keeps me hesitant to upgrade to the paid version...

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 05:04:48 PM »
Ok, so this is it?!

Anyone knows a good virusscanner that I can use instead?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 05:15:38 PM »
Did you perform a clean installation of the latest version ?
Including using the uninstall tool...

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:48:44 PM »
Ok, so this is it?!

Anyone knows a good virusscanner that I can use instead?

First you can try what Eddy just posted above this post.

You can also try a "repair" function in Outlook for each account. (File > Account Settings > select an account to repair > click "Repair".  (note it's difficult to respond exactly because you haven't provided your version of Outlook)

Another thing you can look into is something posted recently on this board by Leo40 (SEE BELOW) you'll find in this thread  LINK: My mail.com email accounts fail which of course you can check out the entire topic (this may apply to you but then it depends upon what Avast version your using possibly which you have also not provided)

The solutions above didn't work for me, but I figured it out.

If you go to your Avast settings, then choose Active Protection, then click Customize next to the Mail Shield, then click the SSL Settings.

At the bottom of that screen it should show a list of your accounts that Avast has scanned in the past, but at the bottom it says that Avast no longer uses these settings so they should be deleted!

I guess the reason that Avast didn't just delete those settings is because there was also a note saying you should now configure your email program to use SSL (or TLS etc), unlike in the past when you were supposed to let Avast handle that.

As soon as I deleted the accounts from the Avast settings then, my email started working again.  Except for my Gmail via POP, but that sporadically has problems so I don't know if that's related...  Anyway all my other POP accounts started working immediately after deleting them from Avast's SSL Settings.

You can also look at this LINK ON THIS BOARD

It is always helpful to provide versions to what is being discussed (both Avast and Outlook)  :)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 05:58:23 PM »
If all else fails you can do the following (depending upon your version of Outlook):

Go to Outlook > File > Options > Add-Ins
Find "avast! Addin" and Select > Manage: drop down box, Select Disabled Items > Click Go

This should allow the Mail Shield to be turned on and likely avoid the email errors your encountering but I'm not certain your emails would be scanned by Avast any longer however.

So if this is what you have to do to fix your problem after trying everything else and if this helps then you can submit a ticket here: https://support.avast.com/Tickets/Submit (which would be helpful for Avast to look into as why the Avast add-in is not working properly in your case)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »
(Starting new topic, after pasting from New Version topic)

After updating to 2015.10.2.2214, I receive 0x800CCC90 errors from Outlook Express, whenever I attempt to connect to the Verizon Mail Server. The problem occurs every time, and I have bypassed the problem by setting OFF the Avast Active Protection Mail Shield. Obviously, turning off the Mail Shield is not a preferred solution. This problem was not occurring for previous Avast versions. Any comments for a better solution?

I am using Outlook Express 6 with Windows XP SP3. Processor is AMD Sempron, which does not support SSE2 instructions. The mail server properties use ports 25 and 110, with the SSL connection boxes NOT checked. Avast is the free edition.

The full error message is:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot establish SSL with POP server 206.46.232.10:995, SSL_connect error 1:error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

I'm having the same problem with Outlook 2003 since updating Avast to 2015.10.2.2214.  My email error is as follows:

Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted.  If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: -ERR Cannot establish SSL with POP server **.*.**.***.***, SSL_connect error 1:error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure'

The only way I'm able to receive email is to temporarily turn off Avast's Mail Shield.

You might both try looking at this thread topic:  LINK: My mail.com email accounts fail 
After the Avast update today accessing my mail.com accounts fail with the following messager:
Error (Cannot establish SSL with POP server 74.208.5.12:995, SSL_connect error 1:error:14077102:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unsupported protocol)
They fail using Mailwasher and Pop peeper.
If I temporarily disable the Avast shields then Mailwasher and Pop Peeper access my email successfully.
So it looks like the Avast update has changed something in the email routine.

The errors described in this topic appear similar to yours.

Specifically look at this post entered by Leo40 (SEE BELOW):

The solutions above didn't work for me, but I figured it out.

If you go to your Avast settings, then choose Active Protection, then click Customize next to the Mail Shield, then click the SSL Settings.

At the bottom of that screen it should show a list of your accounts that Avast has scanned in the past, but at the bottom it says that Avast no longer uses these settings so they should be deleted!

I guess the reason that Avast didn't just delete those settings is because there was also a note saying you should now configure your email program to use SSL (or TLS etc), unlike in the past when you were supposed to let Avast handle that.

As soon as I deleted the accounts from the Avast settings then, my email started working again.  Except for my Gmail via POP, but that sporadically has problems so I don't know if that's related...  Anyway all my other POP accounts started working immediately after deleting them from Avast's SSL Settings.

If you do not see a list of accounts that "Avast has scanned in the past" below the 'Export Certificate' button in the image below (the list does not show in this image) then this does not presumably apply to your problem.  The list is not there because my Avast does not have this problem, if you do see the list and do what Leo40 describes above this list will disappear and your Avast will look like mine which is what is illustrated in this image attached below.