Author Topic: Endless Startup Repair after boot scan programming  (Read 2205 times)

REDACTED

Endless Startup Repair after boot scan programming
« on: March 14, 2015, 01:55:23 AM »
LS,
I decided to do a full PC cleanup. Defragging all drives, then running a FULL scan. Checking all disks, selecting a full thorough boot scan and selecting to check every file. All it found was I believe a false positive in an .exe in my flight simulator folder from FlyTampa. In any case I deceded to quarantine it. After that, Avast! Suggested a boot time scan. I agreed and left the PC to restart. Just before leaving the PC I observed the Startup Repair window and thought it was strange. An hour later I returned and found my PC stuck in startup repair. I tried viewing log files. The 1st log file said something to the effect that sorport.sys is corrupt. After further tests, including chkdsk C: /f and /R, system restore to a point one day before, multiple repair attempts and a boot from CD repair attempt, still nothing. Further details from the event report revealed no problems whatsoever. All test passed and results saying that Windows determines that C: is good and doesn't know why the PC doesn't start. Suggesting I remove newly installed hardware. There wasn't... So with all tests passed, 0 bad sectors I still go straight into startup repair. Previous good state, safe mode, normally... All go straight to startup repair.

This happened as soon as I accepted the boot scan. I'm 100% sure my HD is fine and that something went amiss when Avast! messed with adding code to force a boot scan i.s.o. The normal boot sequence.

So what can I do to remedy this?

Thanks,

Xander
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 01:57:20 AM by xkoote »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Re: Endless Startup Repair after boot scan programming
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 05:42:16 AM »
Hi xkoote, welcome to the forum :)

Go to this topic https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0  and scroll down to "If you cannot Boot the computer".
Follow those instructions and attach the FRST.txt log in your next reply.
I will notify an expert with a link to this topic.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Endless Startup Repair after boot scan programming
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 12:08:18 PM »
What operating system and is it 32 or 64 bit