Author Topic: "Show results" button does nothing  (Read 6307 times)

REDACTED

"Show results" button does nothing
« on: March 15, 2015, 02:47:06 PM »
I had Avast Free v.2015.10.0.2208.  On the few occasions I have had my scanning come back with a threat detected, clicking the "Show results" button has resulted in nothing happening.  Why can't I see the results when I click this button?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: "Show results" button does nothing
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 02:49:29 PM »
It is a known issue with that version.
Perform a clean installation of the latest version.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 03:05:25 PM »
Perform a clean installation of the latest version.
1. Download Avast Free Antivirus: https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed Avast versions..!!)
3. Reinstall Avast with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »
Thank you both.  That did the trick.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 06:19:04 AM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 05:19:38 PM »
Same thing happening to me with v.2214. I did a clean install as described here and I thought the issue had been solved but it occurred again a couple of weeks later. It seems to be random and only occurs with a scheduled quick scan.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 03:27:30 AM »
Occurred today with newest update .2215. OS is Win7 SP1 x64

Offline twoshoes2

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 01:45:56 PM »
I am seeing the same thing as Stubal.  However I am still on .2214, I did not see that .2215 was just released but it still seems to have the same issue.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 01:47:38 PM »
I am seeing the same thing as Stubal.  However I am still on .2214, I did not see that .2215 was just released but it still seems to have the same issue.
did you follow instructions given above by Asyn ?

Offline twoshoes2

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 02:21:47 PM »
did you follow instructions given above by Asyn ?

I did not because Stubal mentioned that the clean install did not apparently correct the issue.  I support 5 other remote users besides myself of which many are not real computer literate and it is difficult to have them follow email instructions especially if the clean install does not correct the problem.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 02:31:31 PM »
but it worked for  SquaredCircle   see above ... so try and find out

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 04:05:19 PM »
I did a clean install of .2215 as described by Asyn. I saw the same thing this morning. It only happens after a scheduled Quick Scan. If I start a random Quick Scan the results are normal. I'm using a paid Internet Security version with Win7 SP1 x64

Offline twoshoes2

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 04:06:35 PM »
but it worked for  SquaredCircle   see above ... so try and find out

As recommended, I did a clean install.  After the reinstall I did a full system scan and it found  "some files could not be scanned" which were password protected and on my external HD.  I eliminated the external drive from the scan and all was well.  I then scheduled a full system scan daily (normally only do it once a week) but I wanted to see if the problem reoccurred.  All was fine for a week, then last night's scan indicated again indicated "some files could not be scanned".  I clicked on the Show results button and nothing happened.  I looked at the scan history and it showed the initial scan's "some files could not be scanned" message and all others dates showed "no virus found" message.  So even though the clean install worked for a while the problem returned. 

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline twoshoes2

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 07:28:45 PM »
This might help https://blog.avast.com/2014/02/28/how-do-i-handle-files-that-avast-cant-scan/

Thanks for the link but I believe in this situation that the message "some files cannot be scanned" is a false message for the current scan and as a result when the push the show results button nothing happens.  Prior to this current reinstall of Avast I was getting a false "Virus Detected" message and the show results button did nothing and the scan history log showed no virus found.  Is seems like for some reason if in  some prior scan you received a valid error message from a scan, that same message may appear many scans later and gives false information for the current scan.