Author Topic: Is the Firefox honeymoon over?  (Read 15947 times)

wulfruna

Re: Is the Firefox honeymoon over?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 05:14:03 AM »
I use Firefox all the time. I have my cache set to 0 no problems. I find the extensions Adblock - Flashblock - TabBrowser Preferences and No Script indispensable.

Starfighter

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 08:52:47 AM »
Thanks gang for the explanation of the cache function in Firefox.  I had thought (because of the joke) that perhaps Firefox's cache wasn't working correctly -- but I understand now.   :)

Craftec:  Truth be known, I like crayons better than pencils.  Purple and orange crayons are my favorite colours.  They are also the most fun because they make the absolute worst mess possible -- i.e. when you scribble with them on walls. 

One thing I can't stand is chalk.  This is no doubt because many years ago my math teacher frequently threw chalk at me in order to wake me up from my day-dreaming (which I did a lot of).  Actually, come to think of it, I think the teacher threw the chalk eraser at me more than the actual chalk -- which explains why I still need pencils because they have erasers attached to them!   :P

Anyway, just so people won't criticize me for writing off topic, I see that Firefox's latest version, 1.0.7,  is supposed to fix the latest security glitches:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

p.s. I hated math.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 08:55:16 AM by Starfighter »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 02:55:48 PM »
Haha, I hated chalks and I hated chalk erasers even more... my mom is still a teacher, and a good one... she would never ever throw those things at children. She is so into teaching that sometimes I think she likes her pupils even more than she loves me  ;D  ;D  ;D

P.S. Cryons on the wall are nasty, but nothing comparing to exacto knife scratches all over the room...  ;D
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2005, 09:10:34 PM »
Howdy FF-ers and other browser users,

Yes of course there is a lot of side line thinking coming into this.
Some things in the critics of FF are fair, other things are exaggerated or just wishful thinking. We had these reports a;ready last year that FF would topple over, in August of this year remember it should have fallen prey to malware artists and scumware makers. This has until now not materialized. FF has some weak points, you can read about it in their bug reports and on their developers forums. But IE has/d  a worse CONCEPT. Closed software (fixed options, take it or leave it software) versus a product that many work on to improve. And it is not optimal as is Opera, as are other browser products.  One point we could make here: FF is specially linked with Google. It is in the line of products which can be associated to be an answer to the M$ monopoly train. FF hangs firmly into the Google train. I cannot see what comes next, how security wise Firefox will develop. I have no crystal ball. I say I keep using Firefox as of now.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Umath

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 11:09:38 PM »
One point we could make here: FF is specially linked with Google. It is in the line of products which can be associated to be an answer to the M$ monopoly train. FF hangs firmly into the Google train. I cannot see what comes next, how security wise Firefox will develop. I have no crystal ball. I say I keep using Firefox as of now.

I think I know where you are coming from.  Microsoft's nightmare inches closer to realityMicrosoft's nightmare inches closer to reality, Google builds an empire to rival Microsoft (Both articles from Cnet)

If WWW's fluidity is a threat to monopolizing company such as Microsoft, I don't think it is not always a bad thing.  However, I don't know how to prevent the domination of a company such as Google.  I recommend Mozilla/Firefox users to use Mycroft and other browsers have similar function (For example, Sleipnir, which I recommended as an IE alternative, has this function).

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2005, 11:26:47 PM »
Hi Umath,

Your analyzing of the situation is a bit like mine. As I conclude from your informed reaction that you are a critical user as well.
It is a bit out off the topic of this thread, but still related and
good to ponder over  for future browser development. So here we go:
The implications what Google means to the workings of the Internet is way beyond our scopes. They are the information demiurg with all the information they can sit on. Alas it is to hope that they use it for good, while their motto is "Do no evil". M$ and Google, these two have a finger in almost any pie. What I think is a threatening trend is that free successful applications are bought up and neutralized by the big companies. Kerio finished, bought up, etc. etc. What will this lead to, curious to hear your vision?

your anti-malware friend polonus
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 11:30:42 PM by polonus »

Thomas123

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 11:38:07 PM »
I am still using Firefox because it does not support ActiveX.  ;D

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 12:08:11 AM »
No ActiveX for me either but I'm not using FF. ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 12:24:58 AM »
Hello you browser defenders,

Well IE for the mo has nothing to fear, dear Bob, 84% hug and snug behind this browser on their worm-can. The recent concessions of Firefox to the Google moloch made the big criticizer of Google leave the FF 1.07  boat, and the latest to come to the rescue is the upcoming freed Opera 8.0 now adfree browser.
I like FF for specific reasons as I liked Google for it concepts, these are emotions and some realtime benefits. But one point has to be taken into consideration. The browser is as safe as the man or woman behind it, who is responsible for its configuration, the updates of the OS it runs on, and all the latest patches and a layered in browser security. Yes my dear Bob, get the in-browser plug in from Dr. Web for MS' Internet Explorer, it is a lot of security for a lousy free 10 KB install plug,
I came to love it, no more uncertain clicks. Else you have to write all the links yourself, and truly do you do that all of the time,

your anti-malware friend polonus
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 12:26:36 AM by polonus »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 04:05:49 AM »
I am still using Firefox because it does not support ActiveX.  ;D
Maxthon, as GreenBrowser of Bob, has an option to disable the ActiveX, scripts, etc.
Besides it uses the IE core, we can get it safer.
The best things in life are free.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 08:16:30 AM »
  Who the hell married FF anyway??  :o Hope they didn't trip over the threshold 8)

Must have been a good night but!!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 08:44:50 AM by p3t3rb0nn »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

o2xygen

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 04:10:19 PM »
actually, Firefox 1.0.7 is based on a older Gecko engine... the new version of Firefox 1.5b is based on Gecko 1.8...
The 1.5 beta version is much faster than 1.0.7 at almost everything (browsing, responce time, time to open etc) and is supposed to patch all holes that are known now... Also there are new features like tab reordering and such

Thomas123

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 06:57:18 PM »
Another reason for using Firefox is that it can display CORRECT CHARACTER ENCODING for me. With I.E., it cannot display correct texts (Traditional Chinese). Sometimes, it shows some weird characters. But I find that Firefox can handle it.  8) Browsers based on I.E. rendering engine cannot display correct Chinese characters or automatically change them into correct chracter encoding. Only Firefox can do it for me.  :P

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 06:29:12 PM »
I think in the end everyone's Systems are unique to the user who patched the whole thing together ( Software & Hardware) . As you may  say you use IE, you don't mention the hundred little tweaks and 3rd party programs on your system, which ultimately make up the USER's particular Operating System and it's configuration as a whole.
In my case I tried IE for years , and have changed to FireFox. On MY system I don't get anywhere near the amount of Tracking cookies , or problems as I experienced with IE.
 At one point my Internet Explorer browsing experience had No Colour,i.e. No adds. Flash animation, pictures , as I tried to set IE to be as secure as possible. Somehow after changing default browser to FF I can safely view a lot more graphical information as I surf the Internet. This wasn't my aim, just an unexpected and pleasant  result from using firefox. The Honey moon is just beginning as far as I'm concerned... ;D

p.s. I in no way are putting down IE, I just find my 'Setup' works better using FF as a browser.