Author Topic: My mail.com email accounts fail  (Read 10466 times)

Offline Abigman

My mail.com email accounts fail
« on: March 17, 2015, 12:36:20 PM »
After the Avast update today accessing my mail.com accounts fail with the following messager:
Error (Cannot establish SSL with POP server 74.208.5.12:995, SSL_connect error 1:error:14077102:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unsupported protocol)
They fail using Mailwasher and Pop peeper.
If I temporarily disable the Avast shields then Mailwasher and Pop Peeper access my email successfully.
So it looks like the Avast update has changed something in the email routine.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: My mail.com email accounts fail
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 01:09:16 PM »
After the Avast update today accessing my mail.com accounts fail with the following messager:
Error (Cannot establish SSL with POP server 74.208.5.12:995, SSL_connect error 1:error:14077102:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unsupported protocol)
They fail using Mailwasher and Pop peeper.
If I temporarily disable the Avast shields then Mailwasher and Pop Peeper access my email successfully.
So it looks like the Avast update has changed something in the email routine.

Considering that I am using Avast2014.9.0.2021 and I have both mail.com accounts and I use Pop Peeper just as you do and I am not experiencing any issues with either it would suggest that the "Avast update today" as you say is most likely the cause of the problems considering as well that presumably all these applications worked prior to the "Avast update today" as you put it.

What Avast version do you have?  Is it Avast2015.10.2.2214?
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Abigman

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 01:25:48 PM »
It was updated today to version 2015.10.2.2214

Offline Abigman

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 04:21:16 PM »
Just upgraded to 2105.10.2.2214 this morning and getting the same error when sending emails through 1and1.  When sending through my personal ISP (Cox.net) email account I get an Avast popup MAIL SHIELD SECURITY EXCLUSION telling me there is a problem with the site certificate.  When I view the certificate it tells me that the certificate has been revoked by its certification authority, which seems very unlikely.  Disabling the email shield allows emails to be sent.

I have verified the system time and checked for the Mail/Web Shield root certificate.  I have deleted the certificate and reinstalled, and even reinstalled avast free without change.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:00:36 PM »
There appears there maybe issues with the most recent Avast2105.10.2.2214 version regarding "site certification" possibly in regards to potential malware (infection).  I am personally using Avast2014.9.0.2021 so I cannot replicate the issue that some are having in my case.

I have no idea if this would help, more specifically in regards to scanning email, but there is a setting for checking "digital signatures" that can be disabled.  I found that I actually have this unchecked myself for whatever reason (can't frankly remember).

So it's I suppose worth a try to see if unticking this option might help (see attached image).  If this helps then POST BACK.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Abigman

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 05:20:12 PM »
My setting was also unchecked so I checked it and tried my emails but it didn't make any difference so I unchecked it back.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 05:21:30 PM »
The solutions above didn't work for me, but I figured it out.

If you go to your Avast settings, then choose Active Protection, then click Customize next to the Mail Shield, then click the SSL Settings.

At the bottom of that screen it should show a list of your accounts that Avast has scanned in the past, but at the bottom it says that Avast no longer uses these settings so they should be deleted!

I guess the reason that Avast didn't just delete those settings is because there was also a note saying you should now configure your email program to use SSL (or TLS etc), unlike in the past when you were supposed to let Avast handle that.

As soon as I deleted the accounts from the Avast settings then, my email started working again.  Except for my Gmail via POP, but that sporadically has problems so I don't know if that's related...  Anyway all my other POP accounts started working immediately after deleting them from Avast's SSL Settings.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:31:54 PM by Leo40 »

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 05:36:51 PM »
Thanks for replying lakrsrool, it was worth a shot but didn't help.
Big thanks to Leo40 - that was the solution for me.  As soon as I deleted everything in the list all started working normally.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »
The solutions above didn't work for me, but I figured it out.

If you go to your Avast settings, then choose Active Protection, then click Customize next to the Mail Shield, then click the SSL Settings.

At the bottom of that screen it should show a list of your accounts that Avast has scanned in the past, but at the bottom it says that Avast no longer uses these settings so they should be deleted!

I guess the reason that Avast didn't just delete those settings is because there was also a note saying you should now configure your email program to use SSL (or TLS etc), unlike in the past when you were supposed to let Avast handle that.

As soon as I deleted the accounts from the Avast settings then, my email started working again.  Except for my Gmail via POP, but that doesn't seem to be working at the moment anyway for sporadic unrelated reasons...

Great, good to hear you've resolved your issue.  I'm just curious however, what Avast version are you using?  Is yours the same Avast2105.10.2.2214 that others are having these issues with?

I ask because what you're describing sounds to me like what was part of an older version of Avast as to "SSL" settings as well as in what specific manner Avast has been scanning emails of which I recall I used to have this issue in a much older version that instructed me to do the very same thing you're discribing. But with the Avast2014 that I have there  is absolutely no references to SSL settings of any kind at all in what would be called the "customize" window for the "Mail Shield" active protection  (I had presumed with the new Avast this was handled internally hence not even necessary any longer to deal with "SSL" connection settings like before).

But if you're using the current Avast version 10.2.2214 then it sounds like you've found the problem presumably. If so, then kudos.  :)

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
Yes the problem is with 2015.10.2.2214

I think you're correct about these settings not being part of 2015, BUT the settings still exist if you didn't delete them back in the 2014 version. Apparently you got a notification about deleting the settings, whereas others didn't.

It seems like 2014 was forgiving about leaving the settings there, and 2015 isn't, so they now have to be deleted. It would have been nice if the update had notified us.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 05:50:24 PM »
Thanks for replying lakrsrool, it was worth a shot but didn't help.
Big thanks to Leo40 - that was the solution for me.  As soon as I deleted everything in the list all started working normally.

Cool, then Leo40 has the answer apparently  :)

I'm just curious however where all the SSL settings for "mail accounts" reside in the Avast2015 GUI.

I have the following in the Mail Shield settings (first the "main setting" that leads to where the user can go to the "SSL scanning setting") all of which sound so different as to the way it is described by you folks who have resolved the problem (I'm presuming then your interface look entirely different than the images attached). As is apparent in my case with Avast2014 none of this appears hence unavailable to me.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 05:53:29 PM »
The settings appear under the 'Export Certificate' button in your image above.  Except, as soon as you delete the old accounts, the settings (and the message to delete them) disappears completely, as if they were never there! It's only because I checked on a second computer that I found it hadn't been just my imagination ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 05:55:28 PM »
I just discovered the same thing - now when I go back in it looks like your images posted.  I have had many versions of Avast and have upgraded all along so they must have been left over from 2014 or earlier.