Author Topic: Virus Chest Problem  (Read 8053 times)

Amerk_5

Virus Chest Problem
« on: March 18, 2003, 07:29:49 PM »
When I try to open the virus chest i get an error. Under the Errors Report tab it says:

Program cannot use Chest client: (null)
--->Description: The RPC server is too busy to complete this operation

Under the Detailed Information tab it says:

Initialization of Chest files
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Program will try to load all Chest files from the following server: (null)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action was completed with errors!

I'm running Win98SE, avast v4.0.183. I noticed it with v4.0.172 but I've been too busy to make a post.

Amerk_5

Re:Virus Chest Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 05:12:40 AM »
I just uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled avast into a new folder and I still receive the same error.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 10:12:33 AM »
I just uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled avast into a new folder and I still receive the same error.

This is indeed a problem with the current version of avast (only affects Windows 9x users). We're doing our best to chase it down, so please be patient.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Amerk_5

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 03:30:18 PM »
OK. Thanks for the reply.

ACLSR

PROBLEM WITH "RPC SERVER TOO BUSY..", WHEN MOVING VIRUS TO CHEST
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:12:18 PM »
Hello, and i pray that all is well with all of you!!!
my problem is that on trying to move a virus to the chest, the reply was that "the RPC server is too busy to complete the operation". i see that the post for this problem was years ago, but the solution has not been posted, or i cannot find it.
i am running win 2000 pro on an old hp pav  n5310 laptop and i had successfully moved two (2) Trojans to the chest just previous to trying the one with this error.
 i waited for an appreciable amount of time and tried it again, but the same error.
the affected files are .dll and i am reluctant to delete them, but i may delete them to the recycle bin.
if there is a fix. please advise me as to what it is. thanks in advance

PapaSmurf

Re: PROBLEM WITH "RPC SERVER TOO BUSY..", WHEN MOVING VIRUS TO CHEST
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 06:08:44 PM »
Hello, and i pray that all is well with all of you!!!
my problem is that on trying to move a virus to the chest, the reply was that "the RPC server is too busy to complete the operation". i see that the post for this problem was years ago, but the solution has not been posted, or i cannot find it.
i am running win 2000 pro on an old hp pav  n5310 laptop and i had successfully moved two (2) Trojans to the chest just previous to trying the one with this error.
 i waited for an appreciable amount of time and tried it again, but the same error.
the affected files are .dll and i am reluctant to delete them, but i may delete them to the recycle bin.
if there is a fix. please advise me as to what it is. thanks in advance
It might be better to start a new topic when posting a problem. The help guru's have an easier time seeing it that way.
I am no guru, but I can share a couple of tricks I use to try an figure things out.

#1 Type the name of the .dll file(s) into google search bar and see what comes up. Alot of times I find out some very good info that way.

#2 Test to see if the file is active..you can do this simply be trying to rename the file.  Example: If the file name is brd.dll, try re-naming it to brd1.dll. If it allows the name switch, then you know the file is currently not active.
If the file is not active, then it did not load at boot up, or you are not currently using whatever application it belongs too. Create an empty folder and try simply grabbing it and moving it to the empty folder. Do not delete it.
Remember the folder location..write it down. Remember where the file came from. Write it down.
Try and reboot system. If the system comes back up, check the original folder. See if the .dll has re-appeared.
If it has, then you do have a possible virus that is still active somewhere. If it does not, then it may not be a virus related file. At this point, just use your system like normal. Should you encounter an error message with a "missing .dll" parameter, you can simply go back, rename the file to it's original name and place it back in the original folder.
Should windows fail to boot, you can boot into safe mode and rename/replace file.
Should windows not want to boot at all, you can simply boot to DOS mode, and do the same thing in DOS..rename/replace. Remember to write down the full path of the file...you will need it for the DOS option.
Check the site below to familiarize yourself with DOS commands. You will need to use CHDIR, MOVE, and REN.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DOS_commands

I know this sounds like alot, but it really is alot easier then it types out..lol.
Remember, use the google option first. That one has rarely ever let me down.

Also, you did not mention if you ran a malware scan. Spybot or something similar? If not, do that. It may take care of the trouble for you. Hope this helps a little. I have done this in win2k Pro and it worked OK for me.

wyrmrider

Re: Virus Chest Problem
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 06:37:26 PM »
Excellent advice PapaSmurf
Create your own Chest
cool
since we frequently ask posters to create a folder "suspicious" for transferring files out of the chest to virus total that name works for me

PapaSmurf

Re: Virus Chest Problem
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:44:35 AM »
Excellent advice PapaSmurf
Create your own Chest
cool
since we frequently ask posters to create a folder "suspicious" for transferring files out of the chest to virus total that name works for me

I originally figured this out..(with plenty of trial and error)..when some files
were left behind or could not be moved.
So, I thought maybe a small surgical strike into the system might produce some results.
And it did.
Google can be a huge help in looking something up, but not even Google has everything,
and in that instance it is sometimes necessary to perform a little surgery.
But, as with any Doctor, the credo "DO NO HARM" is very important ;D