Author Topic: Since when did updates include unwanted programs?  (Read 3185 times)

REDACTED

Since when did updates include unwanted programs?
« on: March 17, 2015, 06:58:23 PM »
Today I updated my program and virus definitions.  All of a sudden there was google chrome.  I was not asked if I have or want google chrome and it just rode in on the update.  FAIL! 
I despise that browser, have done everything I can to not have it's bits and pieces lodged forever in my registry and now, because of a program I trusted, until today, it's there.
I've had avast for over a decade.  Next stop.. uninstall
To whomever had the idea to include a browser in an update - go smack yourself.  You have just ruined your good reputation.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Since when did updates include unwanted programs?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 07:06:41 PM »
So you didn't see a screen like this after rebooting when you updated ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 07:17:05 PM »
DavidR,
that screen does not always appear.  I usually see it when I update my XP system after it reboots.
I've never seen it in my Windows 7 box from an update through the GUI.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »
Today I updated my program and virus definitions.  All of a sudden there was google chrome.  I was not asked if I have or want google chrome and it just rode in on the update.  FAIL! 
I despise that browser, have done everything I can to not have it's bits and pieces lodged forever in my registry and now, because of a program I trusted, until today, it's there.
I've had avast for over a decade.  Next stop.. uninstall
To whomever had the idea to include a browser in an update - go smack yourself.  You have just ruined your good reputation.

We can only assume absent any way to know for sure that Avast has collaborated in some manner with Google Chrome most likely involving a scenario to provide an additional revenue generator for Avast as presumably mutually agreed upon by both parties..... TO BAD!!!!

I like you, am not a fan of Chrome at all and only use it when I have to on rare occasions for production reasons.  The unfortunate thing is that it has been reliably reported that Avast users are not always offered the option to decline the install which makes it DOUBLY BAD!!!!

Sadly for Avast it is increasingly coming down to whatever generates the BIG BUCKS and if this relatively recent approach that Avast has been increasingly taking sidesteps their respective users so be it..... TRIPLY BAD!!!!

As a very long time user like yourself, I can say that one thing that is sure for me personally...... Any more new computers I buy post WIN8 will see me finally looking into alternative AV applications I'm sorry to say after having vigorously supported Avast with recommendations to all I've come into contact every opportunity I've had throughout all the many years I've been a loyal customer.  I'll likely remain with Avast in regards to the present computers in our household, that is as long as version 2014 is still supported but I'm sad to report that will presumably be the end of it for me absent any significant new direction going forward from the approach we've seen taken by Avast recently.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 09:53:37 PM »
DavidR,
that screen does not always appear.  I usually see it when I update my XP system after it reboots.
I've never seen it in my Windows 7 box from an update through the GUI.

My main system is XP Pro and I believe I have see in it after reboot every time.

My secondary system a win7 netbook has also showed the screen on update - I understand that some may not see this for whatever system spec they might have. But my point was to indicate that the experience of the OP isn't the norm.

Personally I'm dead against these options being opt-out and not opt-in, aside from the fact I don't like chrome, but many people don't read what is actually is on screen, but click OK/Continue to be rid of the screen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 11:03:45 PM »
David R,
I should have mentioned that even though that screen did not appear in my Windows 7 PC,
Chrome was NOT installed.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 12:06:45 AM »
It's been a while since I last saw that "finish updating" screen after rebooting during a program update from within the UI (win 7 x64 system), so I have to agree that the OP's not entirely off-base.  However, since I'm not getting Chrome installed either, my personal guess is that the Avast crew is finally in the middle of changing that opt-out monstrosity to opt-in, and still has some cleaning up to do.

On a related issue, I haven't seen that express/custom installation choice in ages, and have to assume that it's only in the installer for a clean install.

Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent