Author Topic: Firewall deactivated when update to version 10.2.2214. Reactivation not possible  (Read 2903 times)

REDACTED

I've updated this version, and when rebooted, avast said "Firewall deactivated". If I try to reactivate the message "¡Impossible to start firewall!" is shown and I cant do anything more. ¿Any suggestion to solve this situatión? Thanks in advance.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Controlpanel > ad/remove programs > avast > uninstall/change  > repair option. ... wait a minute and reboot

REDACTED

Thanks for the fast response. I follow your indication but, unfortunately, the problem remains unresolved. I have another pc running also Avast Internet Security (with 2014.9.0.2021 version) without problems. It's possible to go back the update?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
You need to perfom a clean install. This will fix it.

Note: It's important you used the stub online installer from the one I linked.. NOT the offline one.

Note: You need to be ONLINE during this install (online installer works in all cases whereas offline sometimes doesn't)

1.Download your version of avast! and the avastclear tool:

Avast Free Antivirus
Avast Pro Antivirus
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier

Download Avast Clear Tool

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #3]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear. [Running Avastclear is normal mode will give a prompt to go into Safe Mode]
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.

Free: If you have the Free version, register the product for free for a year from the avast! UI.
Paid: If you have a paid license, insert the license key/activation code after the reboot at stage 6.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. It's better to ask than make a mistake and start over again with the process.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

Thanks again for fast response. I'll try it tomorrow and I'll inform forum about results. On the other hand, I cant understand how an official update introduces this kind of bugs forcing clean install. It does'nt contribute to Avast stability image.

REDACTED

The clean install do not solve the problem. I spoke with Avast technical support and they said the problem resides in my windows xp-sp3. It seems not compatible with this new avast version. There are another users out there working in this frame??

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
The clean install do not solve the problem. I spoke with Avast technical support and they said the problem resides in my windows xp-sp3. It seems not compatible with this new avast version. There are another users out there working in this frame??

I was un-aware that the Firewall is not working with XP SP3.

Are you using any other security software other than avast?

I'm sure some other users will confirm if that is the case...
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •