Author Topic: BUG IN THE FORUM BOARD  (Read 2872 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
BUG IN THE FORUM BOARD
« on: March 19, 2015, 07:23:28 PM »
Has anyone else experienced a BUG in this Avast FORUM BOARD in which after typing in a message and clicking "post" the message is blank and all that was typed in is lost (there is no way to return back to message, back button history does not exist)?

When this occurs unfortunately all the time it took to enter the post is lost since there is no way to recover the post after clicking the "post" button.

This glitch, bug whatever we might want to call it, appears to be random and relatively rare, perhaps about 5-10% of the time, but when it does occur it is as you might imagine very frustrating to say the least.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and whether this has at any time been addressed on this board.

Thanks for any feedback.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: BUG IN THE FORUM BOARD
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 07:27:53 PM »
It has been going on for some time, at first it looked like the bug was squashed - but it has returned, though its frequency isn't as often as when it first occurred.

I use the firefox 'Form History Control' add-on to recover text fields should this happen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:58:24 PM »
It has been going on for some time, at first it looked like the bug was squashed - but it has returned, though its frequency isn't as often as when it first occurred.

I use the firefox 'Form History Control' add-on to recover text fields should this happen.

Thanks for the tip, isn't FF great with the such a huge number of add-ons that are available?

I've installed it, tested it out, closed the tab, returned to post again and there it was listed there for me to select, exactly what I had entered before.

Huge time saver, I was at the point of copy/paste for longer posts, however the times I'd forget and this BUG raised it's ugly head was really frustrating to say the least.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 12:04:45 AM »
That is just one of the reasons why I haven't gone looking for another browser, it suits my needs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 01:08:41 AM »
I only have to press the back button in Opera and the typed message is there.
After I can simply click on post again and the message is posted.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 01:29:48 AM »
I only have to press the back button in Opera and the typed message is there.
After I can simply click on post again and the message is posted.

I don't know if you have experienced this problem recently, but I don't know if the current forum software when you user the back buttons refresh the page and that still results in a blank reply box. This has been reported by many people and not all of them are using firefox.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 01:34:48 AM »
Yes I did experience recently (yesterday even).
As I said, I am using Opera.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 01:45:50 AM »
Look for this arrow <- and do a re-post, often once is enough.
But I agree the bug has been with us since the re-launch of the forums
and when it occurs, it is annoying and often a nuisance.  ;D

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 03:15:14 AM »
Look for this arrow <- and do a re-post, often once is enough.
But I agree the bug has been with us since the re-launch of the forums
and when it occurs, it is annoying and often a nuisance.  ;D

polonus

Clicking on "this arrow <-" (go back to one page) does not work (at least not in FF).  I've found that the "go back" and "go forward" history will simply not have the page that gets erased when this occurs after clicking either "post" or "preview".  The text area ends up blank and the page you were on when typing the text into the page cannot be located.

The " the firefox 'Form History Control' add-on" that DavidR suggest solves the issue however.