Author Topic: Very small font for unchecking to install Chrome  (Read 3916 times)

REDACTED

Very small font for unchecking to install Chrome
« on: March 19, 2015, 08:26:05 PM »

After installing, you see this window with tiny font at the bottom about installing Chrome.  There's no reason you couldn't make that a little bigger.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Very small font for unchecking to install Chrome
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 08:49:25 PM »
The title text is larger "Install Google Chrome, A fast, free web browser" - accompanied by the Image of the top of a Chrome page.

Even if the smaller text were the same size as the Main changes section - it wouldn't be that much bigger.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:35:07 PM »
If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) it is my recollection that the selections are checked by default.

It might have been a better option with the user in mind to actually default the options to unchecked (keeping in mind the common sense notion that most users if not all are fully cognizant of Chrome as an alternative browser and most likely would have already installed it if they were really that interested in the first place).
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 11:54:15 PM »
They are and we have had many a bun fight about this in the forums and it hasn't been changed - personally I feel they should be opt in and not opt out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 12:04:16 AM »
They are and we have had many a bun fight about this in the forums and it hasn't been changed - personally I feel they should be opt in and not opt out.

So then it's setup the way you prefer.  Don't you think it would be better to default to an "OPT OUT" in order to avoid all the complaining when people that didn't notice find they have a browser they didn't really want?  After all how can anyone complain if they don't get something they didn't expect to get in the first place (which would be the case if the default was "OPT OUT" obviously).  Seems to make the most sense to me.  :)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 12:09:45 AM »
No it isn't set up the way I like it:
- Opt-out means that you have to opt-out if you don't want it, the box is pre checked.
- Opt-in is the box is empty and you have to check the box to opt-in to receive chrome.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 12:48:36 AM »
No it isn't set up the way I like it:
- Opt-out means that you have to opt-out if you don't want it, the box is pre checked.
- Opt-in is the box is empty and you have to check the box to opt-in to receive chrome.

OK, so we agree, leave it to me to get the terms exactly opposite  :-[

Well anyway, other than terminology, we can still say great minds think alike.  ;)  (at least based on concepts that is)  :)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 01:22:22 AM »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 01:39:01 AM »
The opt-out opt-in discussion is not decided by Avast marketeers, but the other party that benefits from that bundling.
An opt-in is probably not according to Google terms for the include. But actually that is a guess as I am not aware of the terms of the Avast-Google agreement. As -midnight says unchecky takes away that you should choose either to opt-in or to opt-out and alas this tool is going to play a more and more important role for cleansing downloads that come with additional bundled surprises as it seems everyone or nearly everyone is into the bundling nowadays.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!