Author Topic: Deleted files, no log?  (Read 15654 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Deleted files, no log?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2003, 09:36:36 AM »
I'm afraid in Home version settings, the on-access scanner doesn't create any report file. In the Professional version, you can certainly edit the resident protection task and let it create the report file. (And you can also set the "OK files" to be included, which are the "accessed files" - thought I wouldn't recommend this...).

fkj

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2003, 01:15:51 PM »
Oh... its not in the home version :-\ Do you think it will ever be, that would be cool 8)

~Frank

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2003, 01:30:42 AM »
I'm afraid in Home version settings, the on-access scanner doesn't create any report file. In the Professional version, you can certainly edit the resident protection task and let it create the report file. (And you can also set the "OK files" to be included, which are the "accessed files" - thought I wouldn't recommend this...).

Thanks Igor for your 'tweaking' solution...
But why do you not reccomend it? Just because the size of the log (I mean, so many lines written)? Will this have any impact on system performance?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2003, 10:10:07 AM »
Yes, I had both points on my mind. Depending on your setting of the Standard Shield (you may have "Scan Files on Open" or "Scan created/modified files" turned on), many file access operations could be logged. The log can really grow rather big and it could have some performance impact (though, thinking of it... the effect of the logging would be probably very small in comparison with the scanning itself... so you don't have to worry I guess).
Anyway - is there any reason for logging the file access operations?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2003, 12:25:23 PM »
Ok, I get the report, it's for the an demand scanner, and thats just fine, but what is the log viewer for? And where can I se a log/report from the an access scanner?
~Frank

Igor, this was a question of fkj... Not mine...
Anyway, thanks for you answer: logging does not impact the performance as the scanning itself.  ;)

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2003, 11:23:51 AM »
Igor, Technical,

The lack of entries in the Log Viewer may be the result of a settings misconfiguration.  I had a similar situation until I "lowered" my settings.  Please straighten me out if necessary, but I believe that by changing the position of the pointer in dialog box (Settings -> Common -> Logging) results in the logging of events of a specific priority along with those with a higher priority.  For example, pointing to Error results in Error, Critical Error, Alert, and Emergency events being logged.

IIRC while I was experimenting, by starting at the top and moving the pointer downward, I increased the number of event categories included, and when I moved the pointer upward, the number decreased.  Personally, I use the Debug setting and have had the following events included in the log: Info, Notice, Warning, and Error.  I've never seen a Critical, Alert, or Emergency event (knock on wood).

Regards,
Hornus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2003, 12:29:52 PM »
Igor, Technical,
I was experimenting, by starting at the top and moving the pointer downward, I increased the number of event categories included, and when I moved the pointer upward, the number decreased.  Personally, I use the Debug setting and have had the following events included in the log: Info, Notice, Warning, and Error.  I've never seen a Critical, Alert, or Emergency event (knock on wood).
Regards,
Hornus

Thanks Hornus, I'll give it a try and see what happens.  ;)