Author Topic: Chrome: Failed - Network Error on downloads  (Read 20472 times)

REDACTED

Chrome: Failed - Network Error on downloads
« on: March 21, 2015, 02:48:18 AM »
I can't download files that are bigger than, like, 10MB.  I'm using Chrome as a my browser, and Avast and malwarebytes are the only antivirus/malware things that I am aware of using.  I've tried disabling AdBlockPlus, but that did nothing.  I tried using another computer in my house that has Norton on it, and I was able to download the same files no problem.

So, I'm wondering is there something I need to change in my settings with Avast?

Thanks for any help.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: Chrome: Failed - Network Error on downloads
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 02:53:34 AM »
What exactly happens when you "download files that are bigger than, like, 10MB"?
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 02:56:14 AM »
It basically times out/stalls.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 03:50:09 AM »
Have you checked with your ISP service regarding this new issue?

Have you tried a different browser?
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 04:01:04 AM »
I don't think it's my isp, because I have another computer in my house that uses chrome that can download the same files no problem.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 04:15:15 AM »
Well, I tried uninstalling Avast and Malwarebytes and am still having the same problem.
So it's something else that I gotta figure out.

Thanks for trying to help!

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 05:42:02 AM »
Well, I tried uninstalling Avast and Malwarebytes and am still having the same problem.
So it's something else that I gotta figure out.

Thanks for trying to help!

If you still have the problem after uninstalling Avast and Malwarebytes then how about trying a different browser to see if this resolves the issue.

Chrome has had a history of problems at times regarding downloading larger file sizes. 

You could try clearing out the cache in your Chrome browser if you like.  To do this: Click the sandwich menu icon located in the upper right corner, select "More Tools" then "Clear browsing data" from the drop-down menu, Select the "Obliterate the following items from" for how far back you've been having the problem (it doesn't really hurt to go back farther) check only "Cached images and Files" and click "Clear Browsing Data". Then close and restart Chrome and see if this solves your problem.  (Not knowing your version of Chrome this would apply to Version 41.0.2272.101 m and probably other older versions going back some as well)

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 06:01:17 AM »
I just tried using Internet Explorer and clearing cahced images and files, and it's still not working.
 :-\

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 08:36:55 AM »
I just tried using Internet Explorer and clearing cahced images and files, and it's still not working.
 :-\

So both browser have the same problem then and you've cleared the Chrome browser cache. 

OK, so the issue is not the AV or Malware applications (Avast, Malwarebytes) and it does not appear to be browser related (if IE had worked then I'd have thought going back and try clearing out cookies as well for the Chrome browser but that's not the case because IE has the same problem based on what you've posted).  What is left is possibly either your firewall settings with the problem computer or something that is different with this computer with the problem as compared to our other household computer that does not have the problem that would be related to the ISP connection either physically or via settings.  I would check with your ISP service and go over what could be different between the two computers.

ADDENDUM: Btw, the thread title says "network error", are you getting an error?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:40:11 AM by lakrsrool »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 09:00:18 AM »
Btw, have you tried flushing your DNS?

Clearing the DNS Cache can often fix internet connection problems.

What OS are you using?

As you might know DNS clients will typically cache IP Addresses along with other DNS results for most OS which is done to speed up subsequent requests to the same hostname. Sometimes the DNS cache can become corrupted hence it is sometimes helpful to clear the cache in order to communicate with the host correctly. All major OS allow you to force this process.

Outlined below are the steps to follow in order to flush your DNS cache in windows OS.

Windows 98/NT/2000/XP Flush DNS steps to clear your DNS cache:
1) Open up a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd.exe > OK).
2) Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

Windows Vista / Windows 7 Flush DNS Due to MS security you must run the command prompt with administrator privileges.
1) Click the start button and navigate to the command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)
2) Make sure that you right click on the command prompt application and choose "Run as Administrator"
3) Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 Flush DNS Once again you must ensure that you run the command prompt as an administrator user.
1) Make sure that you're on the Windows 8 Start Screen.
2) Type cmd which will cause the Windows search bar will appear on the right hand side with search results.
3) Right click on Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.
4) Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

If you're not using Windows then post back.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 03:13:40 PM by lakrsrool »

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 03:43:40 PM »
I cleared my DNS cache and still nothing.  I'm using Windows 8.1.  And when you ask if I'm getting a network error, I mean just what is in that picture I posted.  I can still browse the internet fine.  When you say something about my Firewall settings, what would you think I'd need to change?

I appreciate you trying to help me out!

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 04:57:43 PM »
It would appear that your browser is perhaps timing out.

One computer works fine, the other has this apparent "time out" problem loading web pages.  It would seem to make sense there is something uniquely different between the two computers obviously and it does not appear to be related to the actual browser (you're saying both Chrome and IE have the issue on one computer) so perhaps it's the OS.

Have you recently upgraded this computer that has the problem to WIN8?

Does your other computer that does not have this problem use another OS than WIN8 (perhaps WIN7, if so see 2nd link below)

However before we leave just looking into issues with Chrome: I've done a little research for you on this and apparently a lot of users are having problems with Chrome not loading pages completely at which time they need to be refreshed.

Read through this LINK: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/8-RXiHZq5d0[1-25]  (the script is a bit sketchy on this page so just press "continue" if you get a script error message)

You'll notice that the OP says in part quote: "It half loads webpages about 50% of the time." and you'll see there are a lot of posters in this forum saying the same thing.

In this link when you take a look at the detailed answer you'll see (where support says "Hey folks") in part quote"  "Some with a Samsung device, have pointed out that (a) uninstalling the 'Support Center' from their device, followed by (b) clearing cache and browsing history from 'the beginning of time' resolved the issue." (you've tried most of that perhaps not "browsing history" and perhaps not from "the beginning of time" however.  There is a lot of input on this issue and a lot of followup to check out.

Also the tech input stated the following at point #4: Some of you have already tried these, but if you have not please try it and let us know if it helps:

(a) Does the issue continue to occur when you switch to an Incognito window (Ctrl+Shift+N)? If it doesn't, check (b) and (c) below.
    (b) Try clearing cache and browsing history (Ctrl+Shift+Del) from "the beginning of time". Did it help?
    (c) Try disabling all your extensions. Did it help? If it did, now try enabling your extensions one at a time to identify the one that may be causing the issue. Please tell us the Extension ID (this will be visible once you check the "Developer mode" checkbox at the top right of the chrome://extensions).
    (d) Create a new Chrome user. In this new browser window, does the issue still occur?

OK, moving along to look further regarding network issues (which is more likely where the problem is perhaps).

Here is forum on this topic about "browser page time out" issues in general - TOPIC: Page time out in browser

The post by Broni HAS SOME VERY GOOD IDEAS TO TRY QUOTE:

Let's go through some basic steps...

Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 30 seconds.
Power them back on.
Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK.

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK.

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml
Restart computer, and check again.

I would try some of these things to see if this helps.

Now let's discuss the OS, which seems more likely than just a browser issue obviously (especially if your two computers are using different OS's).

Here's more on WIN8 as far as problems related to your issue using this OS:

From the Microsoft Community - Question:    Browser connection problems following Windows 8 Upgrade There is a lot of detailed help on this web page.

Here is another interesting FORUM link on Windows 8 speed issue: Windows 8 Slow Web Browsing on Chrome, Firefox, IE? Win 7 Faster!?

If you do some research on "time out" issues for windows 8, you'll see a lot of information on this on the web.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:57:59 PM by lakrsrool »

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 05:26:46 PM »
The computer I'm using, and the HP laptop I both have are Windows 8.

I'll try these things first, though, and report back.  Thanks!

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 06:10:44 PM »
The computer I'm using, and the HP laptop I both have are Windows 8.

I'll try these things first, though, and report back.  Thanks!

OK, so it's more likely a network issue unique to the problem computer perhaps so hopefully what Broni had to say will help.

That said if all else fails you might try the Firefox browser, I virtually never use the Chrome browser myself and I've long ago stopped using IE (the only times would be for development or issue purposes) but rather basically use Firefox (FF) exclusively.

I would be curious if all else fails what you'd get with FF, can't hurt.

You might try installing FF and see what your results are as it doesn't take much time at all to install.

LINK: FIREFOX BROWSER (detailed instructions included by mozilla support)

You don't have to use if you don't want to, but you might find all of the rich add-ons and browsing speed to your liking actually (if not you can always not use it or uninstall it)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:14:52 PM by lakrsrool »

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 06:21:51 PM »
I tried turning my router on/off and restarting my computer.

I tried doing a lot of those command prompts, and got this:
http://i.imgur.com/5PjLPql.png

And I tried FF, but get the same thing.
http://i.imgur.com/XH9ZVU4.png

I'm wondering if my settings are messed up because I use both a HDD and a SSD.  I only keep Photoshop, Ableton Live, and Windows on the SSD but sometimes things end up on the SSD by mistake because it's kind of the "default" drive.

I think I might just reinstall windows, and be more careful as to which drives I save to.....