Author Topic: Chrome: Failed - Network Error on downloads  (Read 20422 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: Chrome: Failed - Network Error on downloads
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 06:46:43 PM »
OK, I just noticed that Broni didn't mention that the commands need to be run elevated.

Try these commands from an elevated command prompt to reset the network.

An elevated command prompt is the following:

Go Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator

Then apply the commands:

ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh int ipv4 reset
netsh int ipv6 reset

As you know the commands reset and clear out any accrued rubbish in the network system.

(I'm assuming this is what you'd do for WIN8, however I am using WIN7 which is how I'd do it)

Btw, I noticed you had ABP in your FF, so you must have already had FF on your computer, I'm assuming you had tried using that browser before in that case.

Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 09:23:37 PM »
So I applied the commands all in one go, which I'm not sure if I was supposed to do?  Should I have restarted when prompted to then apply the next command?  Because with some of the commands I got this as a response:
http://i.imgur.com/3oTja3O.png

And of course I still have the same problem. :-\

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 09:37:31 PM »
Don't batch the commands, enter each command one at a time.

OK, to keep it simple: Go Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Restart computer and see if this helps.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 10:02:46 PM »
I was hitting enter after each command.  It's just sometimes after hitting enter, it would tell me to restart and instead I would just type another command "ENTER" and then I restarted.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 10:58:52 PM »
For the 4 commands I just posted recently I didn't think you would get a reboot message.  For some of the commands posted previously, yes you should reboot when instructed to do so at the time to complete the command.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 11:40:49 PM »
What I would do if you've still got the problem with that one specific computer is contact your ISP support department and check with a technician as to what might be causing your problem in regards to your network settings.

I say this because the problem is clearly not an Avast issue (since as you stated you had uninstalled Avast and I might add you've mentioned uninstalling Malwarebytes as well and the issue persisted unfortunately).

So because it apparently can't be Avast and by flushing your DNS cache as you presumably have at this point and the fact that this issue occurs on 3 different browsers (Chrome, IE and FF) then it would seem to narrow down to a network issue that your ISP support should be able to hopefully resolve for you.  The fact that one computer does work may possible help your ISP support as far as running a comparison check on what might be the difference between the two computers.

If you have any more thought or questions on this of course be sure and post them here and of course however the issue gets resolved let us know if you will, it could possible provide help for someone in the future.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 04:22:37 AM »
I really appreciate you trying to help me, lakrsrool.
I went ahead and just reinstalled windows and am using firefox (not sure it was really chromes fault, but whatever).  I just downloaded a 1 gb file no problem.  I don't know what the heck the problem was.  Compared to all the other steps that people took that had the same problem as me, my specific incident seemed really isolated.
Thanks again for your help, though!

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 06:00:13 AM »
You're certainly very welcome.

I'm please to know that at least your back to normal.  :)