Author Topic: start order  (Read 3916 times)

uno_persson

start order
« on: October 09, 2005, 12:48:55 AM »
Use Avast for virus. spy sweeper for spyes, and Zone alarm for firewall.
When starting PC Spy sweeper starts before Zone Alarm and takes a good lot of time. How can i get Zone Alarm to atart before Spy sweeper?
Old man 70 years old.   

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: start order
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 01:06:11 AM »
Use startup delayer, the link to it is somewhere on this board.
Please use the search option to find it.

Ah found the location:
http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay&PHPSESSID=4a3e11edb4f05ca056c68d3bfd593039

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 01:28:46 AM »
Uno_persson, I've noticed you're using spysweeper.
If so, use the restore/recover or whatever it may be called to restore the deleted registry entry and update your definitions file for spysweeper. It could report incorrectly (false positive) the avast ashDisp.exe which is the icon you see on your system tray.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

uno_persson

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 11:29:37 AM »
Thanks for quick and good help.
Uno

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 02:42:06 PM »
Ensure that you have Spy Sweeper fully up to date, program and signature files as previously it incorrectly detected ashDisp.exe (the GUI and icon you see in the system tray) as malware. This error was corrected in signature updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 06:21:15 AM »
On this subject, I notice that sometimes Avast will be either the second started up on the system tray or the second to last or last on the system tray.

I DO NOT have a problem booting, but I was wondering if it is any advantage to have Avast startup first as I notice when it does STARTUP FIRST the ball is spinning while other programs startup ?

If it is better to have Avast startup first it appears the only applications available are to "delay" startups, so would this  mean that all startup would have to be delayed except Avast ?

Again is this a good idea at all to do ?
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 03:19:15 PM »
Ahh the mysteries of windows startup, there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast order, it is almost random unless you use something like startup delayer as mentioned. However, I not so sure as to its effectiveness at delaying all startup programs.

I ended up disabling my firewall completely at boot because it has in the order of 750-800 file accesses during boot and avast scans every one of them, slowing the boot. I start the firewall using a batch file after boot when it only takes about 8 seconds to start and have avast still scan the file accesses.

To my mind this is not an avast issue rather the unbelievable number of file accesses by the firewall (Outpost Pro), despite many emails and posts on the outpost forums, they still haven't answered the simple question, 'what files does outpost access on boot and why?'

So rather than delay all the others, you may think of delaying avast to help with boot times, but that does leave you a little more vulnerable allowing a potential threat to get established before avast starts.

So you may well be better leaving the boot sequence to windows.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security